Chops vs Portofino

spongerob

Which to choose? We're only on VOS for seven days so probably won't do both, but if you had to pick...which one?

There is no Chops on either VoS, so that's not going to figure into your decision at all. And, I'll assume you mean Voyager, not Vision (which has no Portofino either) and the Portofino on it is very good as iut is on the other ships that have it.

There is no Chops on either VoS, so that's not going to figure into your decision at all. And, I'll assume you mean Voyager, not Vision (which has no Portofino either) and the Portofino on it is very good as iut is on the other ships that have it.

Thanks, it's a bit tough getting used to a new cruise line. Kind of like the people on the Princess board who use CP when they really should use CB. I'll learn the language eventually. ;)

This is a "go with the flow" cruise anyway. We're giving the ship a try to see if RC will be an option for us particularly in the Med. I'm encouraged by the Negative Nellies who seem to live on this page...the more they lower our expectations, the happier we will eventually be.

Thanks, it's a bit tough getting used to a new cruise line. Kind of like the people on the Princess board who use CP when they really should use CB. I'll learn the language eventually. ;)

This is a "go with the flow" cruise anyway. We're giving the ship a try to see if RC will be an option for us particularly in the Med. I'm encouraged by the Negative Nellies who seem to live on this page...the more they lower our expectations, the happier we will eventually be.

pretty much the same on all the forums Sponge. Just the cast of characters have different names.;)

Bill

So, does the Portofino on the VoS have good steaks too, or is it more of a pasta place?

We have sailed on RCI ships that have both Chops & Portofino. To me, Portofino, is the best restaurant. The appetizers, carpaccio and the eggplant tower are wonderful. The mascarpone mushroom pasta is to die for. The filet in Portofino is far better than it is in Chops.

The flourless chocolate cake is marvelous as is the tiramisu. It is an Italian restaurant, but it is not your average Italian restaurant. Enjoy!

We have sailed on RCI ships that have both Chops & Portofino. To me, Portofino, is the best restaurant. The appetizers, carpaccio and the eggplant tower are wonderful. The mascarpone mushroom pasta is to die for. The filet in Portofino is far better than it is in Chops.

The flourless chocolate cake is marvelous as is the tiramisu. It is an Italian restaurant, but it is not your average Italian restaurant. Enjoy!

If by mascarpone mushroom pasta you mean that ribbon pasta with the brown mushroom sauce...I'M WITH YOU. In 2 1/2 hours it'll be exactly a week since I ate that (lol) and it was the best thing I had on the whole ship.

The seafood skewer is also really nice, as is some eggplant/cheese rollitini-like appetizer.

And the flourless cake and tiramisu are amazing. Thank god they have a dessert sampler.

The service there is also FABULOUS.

What do people usually tip in Chops/Portofino??

I think the tip is included in the price but we tipped anyway as the service was exceptional.

We went to both a number of times as we were not impressed with MDR and I would say Portofino was our favourite.:)

Portofino's for sure, the ambiance is lighter and not so dark. The food and service is exceptional but having said that, both are exceptional experiences. I think it comes down to what food do you prefer, seafood or steak, veal? For me Portofino's but only because I eat prefer seafood and the ambiance is lighter and festive. Chops for me really seemed dark and a little too intimate,like a gentlemen's club where good brandy and cigars would be if they allowed cigars.:eek:

Steak as good as if not better in Portofino's. BUT!! The lamb in Chops is to die for.

The US really doesn't eat enough lamb.

I agree about the lamb. I got the lamb loin at Chops a few years ago and LOVED it.

We like Portofino's and Chops fairly equally. We tend to alternate which one we go to. It's Chops next week!

Archived