Zuiderdam Dec 3--questions

miamiway

Hi we just booked the Zuiderdam 10 days from Ft. Lauderdale to Panama leaving Dec. 3. Is anyone else on this board going? Is a meet and greet planned?

Are there any shore excursions we should not miss? How are the ariel tramway things in the canal?

Do you sign up for wine tastings, cooking classes on board? What is cost?

Is it really $300 for a cabana at HMC? Is there other shade available? What is a "clamshell" Is the snorkeling good there. Should we bring our own gear?

Is there a good wine shop near the cruise port? How much wine are we allowed to bring on board?

We have a SZ suite. Is that good? Are we allowed to use Neptune lounge? What are our chances of an upgrade.

Any other suggestions would be most welcome. Thanks, hope to meet some of you there.

Here is the Roll Call for your cruise:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=823533

Yes, you sign up for wine tastings and cooking classes on board. I know the cooking classes are $29 pp, and you sign up at the front desk ASAP after boarding.

It is $299 for a HMC cabana for 4 people. If you get one it includes snorkel gear. The clamshells are like giant baby-carriage hoods, big enough to cover two lounge chairs. They are $14 for the day. Reserve early if you want one! Yes, there are some shady spots available if you get there early enough and/or walk far enough down the beach.

There's a great wine store called Total Wine about 1.5 miles from the Port Everglades piers. Your taxi driver will know where it is. You can bring as much wine as you can carry, but I always suggest to people to bring just enough to get you to your next port, where you can restock.

http://www.wineaccess.com/store/totalwine-fortlauderdale

SZ Superior Suite gives you about 375 square feet including the balcony, roughly 50% more than an ordinary balcony cabin. You do not get to use the Neptune Lounge, or get priority boarding or tendering. Upgrade chances vary widely depending on how full your cruise is. Your mostly likely upgrade from an SZ would be a SY or SS, both of which are essentially the same as the SZ but in a different location.

I suggest you have a great cruise! :)

Hi again Miamiway, I just posted in your other topic but I will do it again and and answer some of your questions.

Not sure about the tramway things. We didn't get into FL in time to do much of anything but nap, have dinner and get ready for the cruise the next day.

The wine tastings are fabulous. I think they are about $30 each. Some cooking classes are free from what I remember but there are some fancier ones that will probably be about the same price as the wine tasting.

Yes, it really is about $300 for the cabana at HMC. We didn't bother with one and were just fine. The servers walk all the way down the beach taking drink orders and the food at the BBQ is wonderful. And there is plenty of shade at the far end of the beach.

Again, not sure about the wine store near the port (actually, there really isn't much near the port except for other ships). And you can bring on as much wine as you can carry. But you will be charged a corkage of $10 (I think) if you want to open a bottle in the dining room. If you choose that option, they will keep your bottle of wine in the chiller and bring it out the next time you come to dinner.

Well, I think the SZ suite is good!:D I have never had a suite but they look really nice. One of the benefits that we thought was great is a separate checkin. It doesn't look like you get access to the Neptune Lounge but I could be wrong. In my experience, if the cruise isn't super busy, they will offer an upgrade at a charge.

Have fun!!!

The wine tastings are fabulous. I think they are about $30 each. Some cooking classes are free from what I remember but there are some fancier ones that will probably be about the same price as the wine tasting.

And you can bring on as much wine as you can carry. But you will be charged a corkage of $10 (I think) if you want to open a bottle in the dining room.

No hands-on cooking classes are free, but there are demos that are free. The classes are limited to 12 people, the demos welcome anyone who can get into the room.

Corkage is $18 per bottle.

Archived