Mazatlan - tour or wing it?

friedmom

We're crusing in January and I'm wondering whether Mazatlan is an easy "do-it-yourself" port or whether to sign up for a tour. We're a family of 3 with an 18 year old daughter, and like a combination of culture, poking around, history, food - probably not beaching it at this port, and we're not into bars. So, for anyone who's done this route, is Mazatlan a "walking around" port with a distinct, accessible cultural aura, or is it large and diffuse enough that a tour is better? (We'll probably snorkel or whale watch in Cabo, and we're saving our athletic adventure for ziplining in PV!)Thanks for any input!

We love wandering around Mazatlan, and yes, it is very walkable and incredibly interesting. Must sees include old Mazatalan and the Catedral Basilica de la Purisima Concepcion, the old opera house, the Plaza de La Republica, and Mercado Central. The mercado is amazing; one of our favorite places to spend a couple of hours! Also, we always stop for lunch at Panamas. You will walk through some poor areas of course, but the people are so, so friendly, and very proud of what little they have.

Others will recommend tours, of course, but setting out on foot is a great way to get a feel for Mazatlan and the people. The only "trouble" we've ever had has been with very persistent cab and pulmonia drivers who insist we shouldn't walk; we just wave them off and they finally leave us alone.

If the weather is clear, catch a cab and have him take you to the lighthouse. Wear comfortable shoes and hike the trail to the top. Excellent views of the city. Remember to take water, but there are stands at the base to buy water and beer.

This is a nice morning trip and leaves plenty of time to see the old city.

Hey its your cruise so whatever you feel comfortable with. We have done Mazatlan Frank and Raddi's Happy Horses. Both were very reasonably priced and i think we got to see more and do more then had we just winged it. I would recommend either of them in MZT but YMMV.

I've been there 7 times and would recommend Mazatlan Frank's City tour if he is available. You get to see the old town as the first poster mentioned but also get to see many more sights of this city that are amazing. He is an exceptional tour guide.

Mazatlan is a fairly large city--much bigger than the other two on the itinerary...population of over 400,000...

Take a look at this map:

http://www.tododemazatlan.com/images/mazamap1.gif

Note the cruise ship pier in the lower right...the lighthouse down at the end of the point, the "Golden Zone" (Zona Dorado) shopping and tourist area toward the upper left...the Central Market and Downtown area toward the center of the penninsula...Note also that the penninsula is very hilly...

Though some people may enjoy exploring on their own, they are probably either limiting themselves to a particular area or spending a lot on taxis...

Personally, I don't recommend "on your own" to a first time visitor...

There are a lot of sites of interest spread out throughout the city and even outlying towns like Concordia, Copala, El Quelite, La Noria and others...these are old Colonial mining towns with histories going back hundreds of years...

Personally, I would take a tour--either a shore excursion or a private tour with a "recommended" provider like Frank--best way to get a view of the culture and history...Food is another question--be very wary about where and what you eat...Tour providers will know where it is safe--which restaurants use filtered water that will agree with your American "systems"...Be wary of food from street vendors and drinks poured over ice...

Have fun...See you in 58 days or so...

• 2 weeks later...
We will be there next year and are planning on going to Aroma Spa for a couple hours. Does anyone know if there is anything around there to do, such as eating or drinking.

Thanks

Yes. It is in the old Centro area about two blocks from the Plaza Machado. The Plaza Machado has very good, and fairly reasonably priced restaurants that are great for people watching. The Restuarant Panama is near the area. It would be great for a desert, by I would choose one of the plaza restaurants for a meal or a drink.

The restored Peralta theater is near the plaza and there is a restored home on one of its corners that is now a museum. You are also only a few blocks from the Malecon and beach where local families hang out. I love the old Centro area. There are many restored homes (New Orleans look) right next to ruins which will really pique your imagination.

Walking is safer than in my own city, but if you're looking to hang out with tourists, you won't find them here. So, shhh. The golfcart/taxis called pulmonias are easy to find in that area. If it's a pretty day, you can grab one and ride along the malecon for $3-5 and it will take you back to the ship. If it's hot, and it can be midday, walking on the shady side of the streets makes a big difference.

Everytime I go to Mazatlan I plan to go to Sone Island, but I always end up in El Centro. People are really friendly.

The sidewalks are rather rough on the way to the center of town.

For a taste of Mazatlan, there is a tour available in the pier building that takes you most places - you could probably dicker a bit for a family - I think the cost is variable, as many of the prices there are.

Archived