bucket list travelers

kjohn

Besides being happy about my family , my bucket list includes a trip to Europe (mainly England)...... I am terrified of flying and no amount of tranquilizers, booze and such would knock me out enough to get me on a plane.

My husband and I are cruising to Europe this summer and England is included on our trip (42 day cruise)

.... I am holding my breath that nothing bad happens until then! (I just knocked on wood)

• 2 weeks later...

after a long hard painful fight with cancer my dear husband passed away in november 09. But first we did our bucket list. cruises round the med. rail trip to switzerland , ferry down scottish coast to bruge. visit to evesham for the asparagus festival. a weeks sail on a 'puffer' the para handy boat on scotlands west coast. and lots more.

Everything was done to the limit of his capabilities.

Our last cruise costa in oct from italy . He walked on with a struggle and a cane and was wheelchaired off. one week later he was in hospital. 10 days later he had died.

I am glad we took the time to do all he wanted.

Im keeping up the tradition, starting on thomson dream , on my own, in april. Im just 55 so there is plenty time ahead to travel on

I don't know about Thompson cruises. I think I'd enjoy traveling w/Brits...if I could understand their English! It took me a few days when were in England some years ago. Perhaps we will meet sometime.

I would like to go to Istambul and to Cuba. Unfortunately I can't legally go to Cuba although it isn't far from Texas.

Other suggestions?

elizabeth

after a long hard painful fight with cancer my dear husband passed away in november 09. But first we did our bucket list. cruises round the med. rail trip to switzerland , ferry down scottish coast to bruge. visit to evesham for the asparagus festival. a weeks sail on a 'puffer' the para handy boat on scotlands west coast. and lots more.

Everything was done to the limit of his capabilities.

Our last cruise costa in oct from italy . He walked on with a struggle and a cane and was wheelchaired off. one week later he was in hospital. 10 days later he had died.

I am glad we took the time to do all he wanted.

Im keeping up the tradition, starting on thomson dream , on my own, in april. Im just 55 so there is plenty time ahead to travel on

Good for you!

We had the most marvellous time with Thomson's this month.....it outshone all the glitzy ships we've travelled on, and the entertainment was stupendous! We'll be using them again, that's certain.

There's a lot of excitement on board about the Dream, and she's booking up fast, so well done on getting a place. You go and enjoy.;)

Jo.

DH and I created our "travel bucket list" last year. We've been travelling for years, and were finding it harder to book trips that we were getting really excited about because we've been to so many places. One day we literally took a map of the world and systematically listed and ranked all the places we want to go, and it has made planning trips so much easier because now we just look at our list! However, since we aren't retired yet, we did have to move some trips further down the list than we wanted simply because we don't have the amount of time some of them would need.

I don't know about Thompson cruises. I think I'd enjoy traveling w/Brits...if I could understand their English! It took me a few days when were in England some years ago. Perhaps we will meet sometime.

I would like to go to Istambul and to Cuba. Unfortunately I can't legally go to Cuba although it isn't far from Texas.

Other suggestions?

elizabeth

Don't worry about speaking English- if you listen, it's only a matter of different vowel sounds, and those can differ even from the south of the UK to the north. We have quite a few Americans living in our village, because of the nuclear industry, and we soon learn each other's vowels.

One Thomson's ship is starting at Marmaris in Turkey and working her way up the coast to Istanbul, then back down via some Greek islands. It's a new route, but will be very popular.

Enjoy planning!:cool:

Jo.

We've been helping my MIL cross things off her bucket list including a cruise to Alaska and riding on a motorcycle before her 80th birthday. My FIL wasn't interested in cruising until his wife got back and told him how wonderful it was. He would now like to go, but his health has slipped and it is no longer realistic for him to travel.

I have been fortunate to be able to travel quite a bit and have even infected my kids with the travel bug. My 6 yr old has been to 6 countries and my 9 yr old to 10 countries. We sometimes talk about where we would go if we could go anywhere. My list includes Iceland, my 9 yr old DS wants to go to Denmark and my youngest, who just saw a show about Machu Pichu wants to go there. At least he's got a good number of years to cross that one off his list. :D

cantw8togo.....I am sure you would enjoy traveling with "Brits". Of course I am a bit biased here because although I was born in Chicago back in May 1951, both of my parents were born in or around London, England oh so many years ago. For some reason many people in the USA feel Brits are a boring stodgy people, and that couldn't be further from the truth. As far as "sense of humor" is concerned, some of the comedy shows are so funny, at least they can be, that I coulnd't stop laughing while watching them. I am not referring to the old Benny Hill shows either. Me made me laugh, but some of his humor didn't compare to shows I would watch dating back to summer of

1966. Yes, I know that I just showed my age...will be 59 this May. Don't forget, different cultures do contribute to different people...but thats ok. Who knows, perhaps the Brits may think we are a bit strange? haha

Rob---if anyone gets the chance to visit England, DO IT. So much histroy, beautiful parks...many in walking distance within London, go rowing on the ponds in their parks(I have done this so many times).

cantw8togo.....I am sure you would enjoy traveling with "Brits". Of course I am a bit biased here because although I was born in Chicago back in May 1951, both of my parents were born in or around London, England oh so many years ago. For some reason many people in the USA feel Brits are a boring stodgy people, and that couldn't be further from the truth. As far as "sense of humor" is concerned, some of the comedy shows are so funny, at least they can be, that I coulnd't stop laughing while watching them. I am not referring to the old Benny Hill shows either. Me made me laugh, but some of his humor didn't compare to shows I would watch dating back to summer of

1966. Yes, I know that I just showed my age...will be 59 this May. Don't forget, different cultures do contribute to different people...but thats ok. Who knows, perhaps the Brits may think we are a bit strange? haha

Rob---if anyone gets the chance to visit England, DO IT. So much histroy, beautiful parks...many in walking distance within London, go rowing on the ponds in their parks(I have done this so many times).

I think that you are confusing me with gwinel, but I love travelling with "Brits" too. We have been to GB three times, including for our honeymoon, so we know what a wonderful country it is. I am a bit biased though as my grandparents immigrated to Canada from GB in the 1920's. I too grew up with the quirky sense of humour of Monty Python and the Two Ronnie's.

• 2 months later...
My one, never changing "biggie" is to cruise on the Hebridean Princess. It's so expensive that I haven't the nerve to spend the money right now, as I can get several other cruises for it. I first cruised on her- if you can call it that- when she was a humble car ferry in the 60s, plying from Oban to the Isle of Mull, and you could live aboard for 4 days and trips off were arranged for you. I was a new teacher, and could afford to take my Mum somewhere she'd always wanted to go. She talked about it until her death many years later.

Now she's one of the top ships in Berlitz, and was hired by the Queen for her 80th birthday. And- it WILL happen one day!...jocap.

Dear Jocap. I understand totally. After my wife passed away I got a chance to sail on the Hebridean Princess. I booked the lowest cheapest inside cabin. When I go there, they upgraded me to an out side cabin!!!

It was fantastic!!

I wrote a story with pictures about the cruise. If you would like to read it., please e-mail me at highlandpark@mindspring.com and I will e-mail it to you.

It seems that "bucket list" is similar to the 1000 places I want to go/things I want to go that has been around for sometime. About a year ago I sat down and came up with a personal "Places I Have Been and Things I Have Done" some of the things were personal achievements that mattered only to me but many of them are places I have been - including cruising Alaska, Hawaii, QM2 TA, touring most of Northern Europe to name a few along with some of the thing I have done in those places including swimming with dolphins, a helmet dive and a sunset flight over the glaciers in Alaska.

Next Feb I am adding a major one to my Things/Bucket List...cruising on Celebrity to Antarctica...really looking forward to it. Seeing South America has in general never been that high on my list but since I will be seeing alot of Argentina as part of the cruise it still counts.

Since I am only in my mid fifties I hope I still have lots of time so I may still hit that goal of 1000. Has anyone out there hit that magic number

I created a list of 100 life goals many years ago in high school and then lost it. So I've been floundering ever since.

I'm thinking of creating a "negative bucket list" consisting of things I ought to have done but didn't:

#14: never got around to cleaning up the place

#27: never started that exercise program

#49: never spoke to that sort of cute girl

#83: never went to Antarctica

etc etc. The problem with this is that, unfortunately, there's still time to actually accomplish something and ruin the list.

Maybe I should just do #1: put off creating a negative bucket list.

Archived