Favorite & Least Favorite Ports....

ekerr19

How can I answer this thread? I have only been on one cruise! What nerve!

But I will name Key West as a least favorite, not because Key West isn't cute and worth a visit, but because of the distance from dock to the town. Well, that was because we were way over at that distant part, you have to take a bus to get to town, and that was a pain when the stop was so short as the Veendam was coming all the way from Tampa the night before. I think there is a closer dock but it was filled with other ships. And also I had been to Key West once before and found the other keys to be more beautiful and interesting. Still, I wish we had had time for a sail or a visit to the Dry Tortugas but the stop was too short. So it wasn't the port so much as the circumstances.

Ports that I have not cruised to but visited and recommend to cruisers:

Quebec City: we saw the Maasdam in port and it docked right at the lower town, with gorgeous quaint streets and great restaurants and brewpubs steps away from the ship.

Istanbul: An amazing place and again it is a perfect cruise port because the ships dock right in the middle of everything in Galata, easy access to the major sights and ferryboats going everywhere. We spent an entire week in Istanbul and didn't have enough time, so it really helps you get more out of a short visit if you don't have to waste port time getting from the dock to the sights.

[quote name='hogwildcruzers']After just getting back from our cruise to Aruba and Curacao, I wll have to say they are our 2 favorites now.......our least favorite would have to be Montego Bay, Jamaica[/QUOTE]

I go there in January and I am excited! My first time there.

[QUOTE=Y's Owl;21878015] My least favorites were Tunis, Tunizia and Caracus, Venezuela. In Tunis, there were too many guards holding automatic assault rifles and we were detained a bit because someone in our group took pictures in the wrong direction towards the Presidential Palace. [/QUOTE]

In early November 2001, we took a little 3 day quickie cruise. Nassau looked just like that-it was scary. I suppose because 9-11 had just happened, that security was really tight. I have been back since, and no guards everywhere on the dock with automatic rifles. I still do not care for that port-but at least it does not terrify me as it did then.

"..worst excursions have been in New York (twice) and in Bergen, Norway."

A friend and I spent a few days in Bergen four years ago, and really enjoyed the city. We flew in there, stayed three nights, took a train to Oslo and then travelled around the southern end of Norway to get back to Bergen to board the Hurtigruten ship.

I'm not sure that I would buy an excursion in a city like Bergen, because the interesting tourist areas are easily accessed by public transportation. We saw a very interesting museum in the original flat used by Norwegian Resistance forces during WWII. That wasn't a tour - we just went to it. We rode the Fløibanen funicular twice, again just by walking up and buying our tickets.

Maybe Bergen is my favorite port. Or, it's tied with Venice and Sitka.

Charlotte Amalie is my least favorite, because I was stupid enough to put cash in my little purse there and have it stolen from me. I knew better, as I'd been there a few times before, but was only going to dash off the ship to get a couple of cheap trinkets for grandchildren.

Archived