Thomson Spirit - 23rd Oct 2009

Well, we're back. :( Slept for 13 hours last night - trying to make up for all those late nights. We had a great time and are thoroughly hooked on cruising - what a cool way to arrive anywhere! We did our own thing at each stop except for one which put us off future organized excursions. It's so easy hopping onto a local bus, train or boat and soooo much cheaper.

Day one, I was very daunted by the amount of people around me which is something I'm not used to not being a footy or rugby supporter. But we soon got chatting to people and stayed up 22 hours that day.

I think the thing that clinched it for us was the entertainment - we just loved those shows with the shy and humble Stephen Guy and his team - what a talented bunch.

The service was brilliant - your dirty plate whisked away before you'd put down your knife and fork. The food was of a high standard and constant down on the Lido deck. We ate every evening but the first in the Compass Rose which although a huge room made dinner a bit more of an event than the self-service. Was totally surprised by a) people eating burgers and chips b) people on all-inclusive who didn't leave the ship c) the number of repeat Spirit cruisers - although I kind of understand.

Our cabin was right at the end of a corridor, only had one window but was comfortable and very clean - the swan and the monkey were amazing.

Felt sorry for the guy stuck at the handwash every day!

All in all a great experience and we're already thumbing thru the brochures for our next one.

We sailed on the Spirit on lst October. This is the only Thomson ship we had not been. Recently we have sailed with NCL and Princess which were great but our cruise on the Spirit was made that little bit more special by Stephen Guy and his team who were one of the best we have ever sailed with.

We had Stephen Guy on Calypso last year and he was superb then......I don't suppose he said if he'll stay on Spirit for next year did he?? We're going in March and it would be great if he was there then....

When we were on Spirit in August - he was asked directly at a Q&A session whether he'd be going to the Dream - he didn't deny it............... so read into that whatever you may. I would imagine Thomson would want a tried and tested (and good) CD to set things up on Dream so he'd certainly be a good choice.

He is excellent and reading a bit between the lines it seems as though he could have a bit of a general supervisory role over the Entertainments side of things for Thomson. I think he enjoys being hands-on too much (and that's VERY good for the passengers!) to take on a 'desk job' but he was flying out to join the Celebration for a week as we got off the Spirit. I inferred from this that he had some kind of management role as well as his CD job on board. Stephen did have the excellent Gavin Carroll as his #2 on Spirit (he was CD on Emerald at the end of last year) so had very good back-up if he was needed elsewhere.

We're on Spirit in May and will consider ourselves very lucky if Stephen is on board (but I'm not optomistic). It was an exceptionally good team on Spirit this year - even by Thomson standards. I don't think we've seen better.

hi,

I posted a help thread earlier about Spirit and Thomson in general as we are from the US and know very little about this cruise line or ship. Any tips or advice is much appreciated! Also I have one question that is important to me. Are the bathrooms regular or the kind that you cover the toilet with plastic and turn the shower on.Silly as it may sound, US ships in the 80's had bathrooms like this and I am not a fan of my shower & toilet not being seperate. Anything that you can tell me that would make our trip great is much appreciated!

On Destiny, the shower is a separate cubicle (with a curtain). The toilet is in the same room but the shower water does not cascade over it. Does this answer your question? I have seen the set-up I think you are describing in some touring caravans. Destiny's bathrooms are small, but not that small! I imagine Spirit is similar.

Carol x

Archived