Booking Directly Through Jungle Paws?

cgrist

Their river-tubing and Zip line tour for $70 that includes r/t transportation and lunch seems almost too good to be true. Has anyone booked directly with the property before? If so, was the tubing crowded, as I've heard some companies tend to be. nacho and Cynthia sounded like fun (with the same inlusions), but for $110 for each :eek: (there's 4 of us), it adds up fast. Any feedback is great appreciated. Thanks! Candace

Their river-tubing and Zip line tour for $70 that includes r/t transportation and lunch seems almost too good to be true. Has anyone booked directly with the property before? If so, was the tubing crowded, as I've heard some companies tend to be. nacho and Cynthia sounded like fun (with the same inlusions), but for $110 for each :eek: (there's 4 of us), it adds up fast. Any feedback is great appreciated. Thanks! Candace

Candace, there are at least 4 CCer's booked directly with Jungle Paw for our sailing next week on the Ryndam. That's at least 10 - 12 people. They were quite good at taking care of us by e-mail and even called me to confirm. I "THINK" we are all doing just the cave tubing, but our experience shouldn't be too different than the combo tour (the tubing part may be shorter...)

I will let you know after our return how things went - you have plenty of time yet before your cruise!

• 2 weeks later...
Thank you! I look forward to hearing all about it. Enjoy your cruise!

Candace

I can't speak for the zip-lining, but our group of 8 CC'ers last week went on the cave tubing and lunch ($45) with Jaguar Paw. Our guide, Miguel, was terrific. He showed us where the big operators park and people start their walk... We drove on for at least another 1/2 mile to their private resort within the park (they owned the land before the area became a park).

The walk begins with a "Wet" river crossing as you ford the river with your tube. It was refreshing. We walked the trail for about 45 minutes, and saw no one else the entire time. The reason this took 45 minutes is we stopped and asked lots of questions about the plants and trees. Miguel showed us termite nests and tunnels, and I was taking photos of the flora. If you didn't stop, the walk is about 1/2 that time.

We entered the river in a most wonderful setting between two caves. For the first 45 minutes or so in the cave system we were the only group and we could float free or in small groups. As we were nearing the end of one cave we could see the masses coming into the river from the big operators. At this point Miguel told us to all link up so we would stay together.

Right after this point we all went down some minor rapids (it was a lot of fun) and the middle of our 8-person chain fell apart. No problem for Miguel though, he had it under control.

At the end of the cave system we exited and were right back at the resort, it's not more than 100 yards from the river. We changed into dry clothes, had a great indoor bug-free lunch at the resort, bought the neatest T-shirts (you HAVE to buy one of these) and Miguel gave us a tour of the resort. He had us back to the pier by 3:00 and the last tender was at 4:30.

This was the BEST SHORE TRIP WE HAVE EVER DONE, PERIOD!

Suggestion: Unless your heart is set on the zip-lining, do that somewhere else. That's offered elsewhere. Cave tubing isn't. I think (but can't swear it) that Miguel mentioned if people do both, the cave tubing part is shorter. Missing the first part of the cave tour (when no one else is around) would be missing a lot, in my opinion.

100_3062.jpg.4f43e6eca27231545df092b8209ae641.jpg

I just got back from a stop in Belize on the NCL Jewel. I booked directly with Jaguar Paw and would highly recommend it!

We got off the ship and they were waiting for us just a couple blocks from the port. We took a nice coach bus with others from our cruise who also booked with them. Our guide was very nice and gave a nice tour on the way to the resort.

We arrived and did the ziplining first. It was so much fun! We had 2 guides help our group. They were so helpful and hardworking. Everything was safe and I had no concerns. They let you try a practice line first to make sure ziplining is for you. After that you must go because there are no stairs. All out group went and everyone loved it!

After that we went cave tubing. Wow! It was beautiful. Much different from anything I've done before. It was just 15 min walk to the start. We had 14 people in our group so we split into 2 groups. We saw a few other groups in the caves but it wasn't crowded. I'm sure it was before but since we did ziplining we no issues.

After the tubing we went to the resort for lunch. The food was good. They gave chicken and rice plus a soda. They also had a bar there if you wanted anything else. After lunch the bus took us back right to the port in time for some shopping.

All the guides and staff were very nice and informative. It was great deal for only $70! I would love to go back again and would recommend Jaguar Paw to anyone.

StartrainDD and Kat128,

I am so glad to read your reviews of Jaguar Paw.

I haven't booked our tour yet but will soon. We don't cruise until February so there's time. I really only want to do the cave tubing but my boyfriend has his heart set on ziplining and is doing his best to convince me to try it. I like that they have a practice run on the zipline so I can see how I feel after trying it.

It's good to hear that others have used Jaguar Paw and enjoyed it so much. It makes me feel more confident about using a private tour operator (something I've never done before).

StartrainDD and Kat128,

I am so glad to read your reviews of Jaguar Paw.

I haven't booked our tour yet but will soon. We don't cruise until February so there's time. I really only want to do the cave tubing but my boyfriend has his heart set on ziplining and is doing his best to convince me to try it. I like that they have a practice run on the zipline so I can see how I feel after trying it.

It's good to hear that others have used Jaguar Paw and enjoyed it so much. It makes me feel more confident about using a private tour operator (something I've never done before).

You should try the ziplining. It's fun!

Thanks for all the reviews on JP!

We will book with them for our Christmas Cruise! I just can't decide if we want to do the tubing only or also try the zip line - especially since we will have kids.

I noticed you mentioned taking pictures on the trail and changing into dry clothes. How did you keep everything dry when you were on the tubes?

Thanks for all the reviews on JP!

We will book with them for our Christmas Cruise! I just can't decide if we want to do the tubing only or also try the zip line - especially since we will have kids.

I noticed you mentioned taking pictures on the trail and changing into dry clothes. How did you keep everything dry when you were on the tubes?

Two of us on our excursion had waterproof digital cameras. The photos we took are "Priceless." If you don't have (or buy) a waterproof digital, you can bring your normal digital. The guide will have a waterproof bag that he will keep anything that "Can't get wet" in while you're on the river.

Of course, while your camera is in the bag - no pictures! In that case I would bring one of those disposable waterproof ones from Wal-Mart (or the photo shop on the ship at a much higher price) to use only while you are in the river.

I think I took 40 photos on the trail - it really is a "Jungle trail" and when I make my slideshow/movie of the cruise I will have "The Lion Sleeps Tonight" as the background music...:)

I'm booked with Jaguar Paw ....one question, I see that we have to do a short 3 minute walk to the Radisson Hotel, is this outside the port? Friends of mine who have been to Belize say NOT to leave the small tourist port area as it is unsafe. So I am a little nervous about leaving that area...is it perfectly safe to walk to the Radisson?! Somebody just help ease my mind please :)

I'm so glad I found this thread. As a first time cruiser, I'm really digging to make sure I get the best deal. It is my dream to do a zipline and I'm so excited!

Regarding the zipline, any idea on any height or weight limit? DH is a big dude- 6'5" and around 270. I'd like to do this together, but am afraid he's too big. Even at peak fitness, he weighs around 260. I couldn't find anything on the JP website on the limits.

I'm so glad I found this thread. As a first time cruiser, I'm really digging to make sure I get the best deal. It is my dream to do a zipline and I'm so excited!

Regarding the zipline, any idea on any height or weight limit? DH is a big dude- 6'5" and around 270. I'd like to do this together, but am afraid he's too big. Even at peak fitness, he weighs around 260. I couldn't find anything on the JP website on the limits.

Tracy, my DH and yours are the same height/weight. I emailed JP and asked if the zipline tour would work for him, and the (very fast) response was that he would be just fine!

I'm booked with Jaguar Paw ....one question, I see that we have to do a short 3 minute walk to the Radisson Hotel, is this outside the port? Friends of mine who have been to Belize say NOT to leave the small tourist port area as it is unsafe. So I am a little nervous about leaving that area...is it perfectly safe to walk to the Radisson?! Somebody just help ease my mind please :)

The Radisson is within the larger port security area. About 4 blocks out from the Radisson we passed thru a police checkpoint.

Also, a JP representative was waiting for us immediately outside the doors to the secured port shopping area. They walked us to the Radisson, this is where they are able to park their vans (which looks like a fairly nice hotel and has a coffee shop accessible if you need to wait for others...)

The Radisson is on the waterfront and from there you have a nice view of the ships anchored off shore. Take photos!

The Radisson is within the larger port security area. About 4 blocks out from the Radisson we passed thru a police checkpoint.

Also, a JP representative was waiting for us immediately outside the doors to the secured port shopping area. They walked us to the Radisson, this is where they are able to park their vans (which looks like a fairly nice hotel and has a coffee shop accessible if you need to wait for others...)

The Radisson is on the waterfront and from there you have a nice view of the ships anchored off shore. Take photos!

As for "taking photos". Is there a safe place to leave a camera and/or other personal items while tubing? My camera is NOT water proof. I would like to also take dry clothes for changing after tubing.

As for "taking photos". Is there a safe place to leave a camera and/or other personal items while tubing? My camera is NOT water proof. I would like to also take dry clothes for changing after tubing.

Please check the Nov 19th post regarding Cameras! Take it!

If you really don't want to take the camera on the actual tubing, you can leave it in the locked van. All other items (dry clothes, etc) are locked in the van.

Please check the Nov 19th post regarding Cameras! Take it!

If you really don't want to take the camera on the actual tubing, you can leave it in the locked van. All other items (dry clothes, etc) are locked in the van.

Cool, thanks for the info. I'm thinking of getting a waterprof throw away camera for the caves. (I believe there is such a thing)

Archived