Deck 9 Inside or Oceanview Guarantee??

TimATL

This is for Liberty of the Seas. Right now I am booked in an inside stateroom on deck 9. It would actually be $6 per person cheaper to switch to an oceanview guarantee. On the plus side, the oceanview room would be larger: 152 square feet versus 183 square feet. On the negative side, it would most likely mean being on deck 2 or 3, where most oceanview staterooms are located. So which is better: proximity to the pool deck (where I hope to spend most of my time) or natural light and more room? If I go with the oceanview, should I be concerned about possibly being placed near or below The Catacombs due to sound issues? Thanks, in advance, for your feedback.

this was exactly my scenario for my upcoming FOS cruise. I was booked in category M inside cabin; saw a great price drop on an ocean view guarantee (Actually $120 less pp) so i snagged it. Like you said; i figured bigger room; window for natural light couldn't go wrong. I was originally placed all the way forward on deck 2; but like you was concerend with the noise from the front of the ship (plus being so low). But RCL was nice enough to move me to a mid ship stateroom on deck 2. Even though we're further from the pool; windjammer; i figure it's just extra excercise those days. Plus on the days when were coming back from the islands; it's nice to just walk up our steps then have to wait for crowded elevators to take us upstairs.

When you book an oceanview guarantee, do they tell you right away which cabin they're giving you, or do you have to wait a certain amount of time prior to departure, or even until you get on the ship?

I switched from my inside to OV after i had made my final payment; so i received my room # within a day or two. I worked the switch out maybe 2 or 3 days later.

this all happened probably about 1 1/2 -2 months prior to sailing. I think if you switch to a guarantee now you may get you assignment in a few days (hopefully)

And if you don't like the cabin assignment then you're pretty much stuck with it, or (as in your case) will they work with you to find something else, if available?

Lots of people on this board will say getting a bad room is the risk you take with a GTY; but i don't believe that. If you don't like your room. Simply call RCL up and ask if you can go back into the pool for a different room selection. First time i called they put me right back into the pool and two days later i wound up in the same room; second time i called; they gave me a new room right on the spot mid ship.

Lots of people on this board will say getting a bad room is the risk you take with a GTY; but i don't believe that. If you don't like your room. Simply call RCL up and ask if you can go back into the pool for a different room selection. First time i called they put me right back into the pool and two days later i wound up in the same room; second time i called; they gave me a new room right on the spot mid ship.

You don't really have to go back into the gty pool, like you said on your second call in RC just assigned you another cabin which was probably in the same category as the assigned cabin. Just go to a web site that shows a lot more availability that RC does and find a same category as assigned cabin you prefer and simply call in and ask for that cabin. This has worked for us on our last two bookings, which were gtys with RCCI.

Right now, I'm near the forward elevators/stairs on deck 9. I'm wondering if that might be more appealing to me (even though it's a smaller room with no window) since I'll just be a quick hop up two flights of stairs to get to the pool deck. We do have three days at sea, and that's where I plan to spend most of my time on those days.

Archived