Booked Temsco in Juneau. . .

perlgirlnj

Their helicopter ride & glacier walk goes to Mendenhall. (And they're in the Toursaver for 2010, by the way, which is why we chose them.)

We will have already visited Portage Glacier, Exit Glacier, Kenai Fjords boat trip, Prince William Sound boat trip, and on our cruise, Glacier Bay and Hubbard Glacier.

I'm figuring out things to do after the heli ride.

There's no reason to take the Mendenhall shuttle and visit Mendenhall that way, is there? It seems like overkill.

I'm thinking of doing the Mt. Roberts tram and some hiking up at the top. How is that plan?

Their helicopter ride & glacier walk goes to Mendenhall. (And they're in the Toursaver for 2010, by the way, which is why we chose them.)

We will have already visited Portage Glacier, Exit Glacier, Kenai Fjords boat trip, Prince William Sound boat trip, and on our cruise, Glacier Bay and Hubbard Glacier.

I'm figuring out things to do after the heli ride.

There's no reason to take the Mendenhall shuttle and visit Mendenhall that way, is there? It seems like overkill.

I'm thinking of doing the Mt. Roberts tram and some hiking up at the top. How is that plan?

There are tours you can take of Juneau that go to Mendenhall, the Shrine and give a city tour. My sisters did this three hour tour with M&M and really enjoyed it. They also did the Pilot's Choice Heli Excursion and really liked that too. It made for a good day for them.

As far as Mt. Roberts goes, that will depend on the weather. We never got to it as it was a very rainy day in Juneau. It is good to have options.

http://www.shrineofsainttherese.org/

mmcummings1@aol.com (M and M tours email address)

There are tours you can take of Juneau that go to Mendenhall, the Shrine and give a city tour. I'm trying to figure out if the Mendenhall visit would be redundant after having walked on it and helicoptered over it, etc. If I were going to see it, we could do it on our ownMy sisters did this three hour tour with M&M and really enjoyed it. They also did the Pilot's Choice Heli Excursion and really liked that too. It made for a good day for them. The toursaver coupon is only good for the more limited tour and it's too much money to pass up that discount!

As far as Mt. Roberts goes, that will depend on the weather. We never got to it as it was a very rainy day in Juneau. It is good to have options.

http://www.shrineofsainttherese.org/The shrine wouldn't be my first choice. I'd rather hike........or shop! :)

mmcummings1@aol.com (M and M tours email address)

Any other opinions over whether we'll be over glaciated? :o

Any other opinions over whether we'll be over glaciated? :o

Do you know??? All these glaciers are different. Since you are asking this question, it sounds like you will be. So, pick something else, plenty to see and do in Juneau, including your Mt. Roberts hike. http://www.traveljuneau.com Head to your library, Fodor's Alaska, and Frommer's Alaska both have good Juneau information.

Do you know??? All these glaciers are different. Since you are asking this question, it sounds like you will be. So, pick something else, plenty to see and do in Juneau, including your Mt. Roberts hike. http://www.traveljuneau.com Head to your library, Fodor's Alaska, and Frommer's Alaska both have good Juneau information.

I'm looking forward to each of them. I just don't know if it's repetitive to go helicopter/walking ON Mendenhall and then go back and visit it regular-style.

Thanks for the link. I'll check it out.

I've already read Fodor's, Frommer's, Alaska by Cruise Ship, Moon Alaska, National Geographic............. seriously. My question is about double-visiting the same glacier, which nobody can answer but other cruisers.

Is it different seeing the same glacier two different ways? Is it worthwhile?

My question is about double-visiting the same glacier, which nobody can answer but other cruisers.

Is it different seeing the same glacier two different ways? Is it worthwhile?

I have done this many times, and yes it is completely different viewing a glacier face and viewing from above. Are you doing any glacier trekking?? Would be my recommendation at some point.

Are you doing any glacier trekking?? Would be my recommendation at some point.

Our Temsco helicopter trip includes 20 or 25 minutes of glacier walking. Given my nervousness about heights/crevasses/unprotected drop-offs, that's about all I want to try for a first timer.

Plus, the Temsco trip is $518 for three of us with the Toursaver, versus a minimum of $1100 for three of us with Northstar Trekking........that's compelling. Especially when I'm not sure I can handle the hour-long Level I hike, let alone the 2 hour Level II hike. I really thought long and hard about this and decided it wasn't worth it for me to be nervous the whole time.

Thanks for the tip about Temsco being in Toursaver this year. There are some sweet deals for 2010.

Since you've already visited all those other glaciers, you probably know already whether viewing Mendenhall's face is overkill or not. I tend to agree, it is.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived