Cruising with kids during school year

mebecindi

Does anyone cruise with Kids during the school year.

Would you take your kids on a cruise during school.

What do you tell the school?

I am curious what people think about this.

I am not condoning taking the kids out of school but after looking at all prices i sure could save aloth going on a 4 night cruise and they would miss Thursday, Friday and Monday.

I would like others opinions on this please.

We have done this in the past. Pulled our 3 kids out Thanksgiving week and had their teachers give them their homework early. They actually did all their work before we left. We told the school well in advance of our plans and there was no issue there.

Someone else said something about there not being many kids on board... not when we went! There were plenty of kids around!

We don't have to worry any longer, our youngest is graduating at the end of this semester. We are taking her on a 5 day for a gift. Can't wait!

Mike

I could send you a copy of my son's grades right now, but I doubt that would convince you.

Nope. It wouldn't. What might convince me would be to send the class-by-class make-up work your son is required to submit, the actual work itself, and your school district's policy on non-excused absences.

"Martini Mom"???? Well, I guess it's your choice of a screen name. I'm sure your son's teachers have an open mind.

Nope. It wouldn't. What might convince me would be to send the class-by-class make-up work your son is required to submit, the actual work itself, and your school district's policy on non-excused absences.

And what pray tell would that help you discern?

We are taking an 8 day cruise Jan 15-23. My kids have always had MartinLutherKing day off and the Friday preceding for a teacher "in-service" day. This school year as it turns out, they don't have the preceding Friday off so my kids will be missing 5 days of school. (We booked the cruise 6/09 and the school district didn't know yet what the schedule was to be for 2009/10, I asked.)

We have four kids, 3 are seniors and one is a freshman. They are not straight A students, they are mediocre. One of them thrills me to death if he passes all his classes. They all attend trade school for half the day and those classes are based on hours if they're going for a degree which only one is. They will only be missing two classes each at the high school. I think they should be able to handle that. (One class is physEd.)

Regardless, this is our last chance for a real nice family vacation. One senior is leaving for the AirForce four days after graduation, one has a few weeks left in summer classes to get her cosmetology license and the other will be working all summer to help pay for her community college classes.

I have 12 years in my job and still don't have enough seniority to get a week off in summer. It is also impossible for my husband because there is a good chance he wouldn't be able to go at the last minute.

Do I feel guilty? No

Do I think their education will suffer? Not really

Do I do this every year? No, never have before

Do I think that this is something they will remember for the rest of their lives? I certainly hope so.

Kids grow up. Kids move out. Kids eventually live their own lives. You have them all to yourselves for such a short time, enjoy them.

This is our big bang send-off for our three seniors. Life will be very different in our household come next fall. (:(:p - mixed emotions)

Thanks for the replys...

My daughter is also a good student and i don't worry about her grades.

What do you tell the school. Do you give them warning. Do you get there work and let them take it and work on it? I just wouldn't want her to come back and try to make up a weeks worth of work?

Also, don't want to get in trouble with the school...

Like I said Earlier...we can all 4 cruise for around 1300-1500.00 during the school year. It is double that in the summer......

I know where you are coming from. I found the same cruise to be atleast 50% more 4 whole weeks later. So I booked the one during the school year. It's in May, one day is an inservice day so my daughter will only be missing 4 days. I asked about doing it before I booked. I have an educational form to fill out and it'll be excused for UP TO 15 school days! I don't think I could live with myself taking a child out of school for that long but to each their own. While it'll be a nice family vacation (due to senority not being able to be off during he summer) I'll be gearing it toward educational venues. Like say the Kennedy space center. I'm fairly certain that under normal circumstances my daughter would never get to visit there from PA WITH the school. Since my daughter is only in 1st grade I don't see any problems with her missing much work as they "did nothing but talk all day" (daughter's words) anyways. LOL I know her teacher last year made her tell the whole class about what she saw on her first cruise, which wasn't even during the school year. It really helps ALL the kids in her class to an extent. Nothing like seeing it first hand or having a friend's perception of something other than reading it in a book.

Travel itself can be very educational.

That in itself sums it up in my book.

Go ahead...who needs school anyway. Kids today can't do math, or make change without a calculator, can't spell without spell check, can't communicate without a cell phone, or something to text with, or look up something without a computer, and the internet. But they do know all the words to the songs on the radio...and love to have fun.

So raising kids now-a-day doesn't require sacrifice, either personal, or financial. I think we have to do away with school.....let the Government take care of them, and us....after all, we don't know what's good for us anyway! You reap what you sow.

I wish there were no schools....I'd save a fortune on my Real Estate taxes...then I could take more cruises, although I'd have to put up with kids on cruises all the time!

Whatever works for y'all. I'm just saying....;)

Thanks again to everyone for there comments....

Also, didn't realize there was another thread going on until i started this one....SORRY!!!!

I am looking at cruises now and will speak with the school next week....

Regardless i am the parent and i will make the final decision. Just want to know what i am up against....

Also, didn't realize there was another thread going on until i started this one....SORRY!!!!

Regardless i am the parent and i will make the final decision. Just want to know what i am up against....

We are not allowed to point out out spelling or grammar on this Board. It's obvious that your child will receive the very best education! Have a very nice cruise.

I'm not allowed to correct spelling or grammar on this board, but, if I were to "discern" (interpret) your screen name, I would have to defer to the obvious.

Lol. That's twice now that I've made a valid point and you have dodged it with your drivel. If you think you can judge my character or parenting skills from my screen name, then I feel sorry for you. What do I get from your screen name? imsulin= I'm Sullen. I think it suits you. I hope you find some sort of joy in your retirement. You seem a bit angry.

Go ahead...who needs school anyway. Kids today can't do math, or make change without a calculator, can't spell without spell check, can't communicate without a cell phone, or something to text with, or look up something without a computer, and the internet. But they do know all the words to the songs on the radio...and love to have fun.

So raising kids now-a-day doesn't require sacrifice, either personal, or financial. I think we have to do away with school.....let the Government take care of them, and us....after all, we don't know what's good for us anyway! You reap what you sow.

I wish there were no schools....I'd save a fortune on my Real Estate taxes...then I could take more cruises, although I'd have to put up with kids on cruises all the time!

Whatever works for y'all. I'm just saying....;)

Now that's some funny stuff there!!! Sad part is it's true! Go to the grocery store once and give them a whole dollar, as soon as they hit the button give them some change to get a quarter instead of pennies and nickles. Most of them can't do the simple math in their head.

Now that's some funny stuff there!!! Sad part is it's true! Go to the grocery store once and give them a whole dollar, as soon as they hit the button give them some change to get a quarter instead of pennies and nickles. Most of them can't do the simple math in their head.

That blows me away. I used to work as a cashier in many places and I NEVER used the register to make my change for me. I'd just press the button and count back the change myself. To me its much faster than staring at the screen and counting it out

We are not allowed to point out out spelling or grammar on this Board. It's obvious that your child will receive the very best education! Have a very nice cruise.

Some people don't make quick edits to their mistakes and then deny making them. :p

Lol. That's twice now that I've made a valid point and you have dodged it with your drivel. If you think you can judge my character or parenting skills from my screen name, then I feel sorry for you. What do I get from your screen name? imsulin= I'm Sullen. I think it suits you. I hope you find some sort of joy in your retirement. You seem a bit angry.

You've made two valid points? Thank you for sharing, as this certainly escaped me! Yes, as much as you don't want to hear this, your screen name says it all. Mine is a play on my name. I'm not angry at all, and have enjoyed my retirement for several years. Thank you for your futile attempt/s at excuse drivel. Martini Mom - I think it suits you. You seem a bit prone to make excuses.

No kidding! Now, going through the Drive-Through at any fast food "restaurant" involves counting and re-counting your change, not to mention the fact that you'll often get no cheese on your cheeseburger, and you got a small Sprite instead of a large Diet Coke. Try paying for anything with cash! Last month, I paid my utility bill in cash, and got a $50.00 bill instead of a $20.00 bill back in change. I explained the difference, and THREE (count 'em) other workers scrambled to make it right, including trying to figure out how much I would get back for the .27 at the end of the bill.

Education is the Strength of Nations.

Does anyone cruise with Kids during the school year.

Would you take your kids on a cruise during school.

What do you tell the school?

I am curious what people think about this.

I am not condoning taking the kids out of school but after looking at all prices i sure could save aloth going on a 4 night cruise and they would miss Thursday, Friday and Monday.

I would like others opinions on this please.

im pulling my daughter out of school the week before xmas so we can cruise... i spoke with her teacher when the school year started, and the week before we leave she will get me all the stuff seh will miss, and her and i will do it all before we leave, so when we get back they have two days until winter break and she can go over the stuff she did with me with her teacher (she's also only in kindergarten, so this is the first time i'm doing this, in preschool it wasn't a big deal at all). for the 1000$ price difference between the week before and the week of xmas, i'll take the week before, and its also hannukah that week so she gets to celebrate it on the ship and she is very excited.

We live in Texas (Houston areas as well) and we never took our son out of school for vacation. He went to private school for the first 8 years and then transferred to public school when we finally moved away from H.I.S.D. In Texas, students cannot miss more than 10 days of school or they must repeat that grade in total. I don't know if you knew that or not. We always figured he would miss some days because of illness, dr. appts. dentist etc. So, it wasn't worth risking it to take him from school for a vacation. And yes, you could end up in court and fined-possibly and even jailed.

Of course, if your children regularly attend school and rarely miss then it's unlikely you'll receive anything punitive. It's the chronic absentees whose parents end up in court. I personally wouldn't do it even if it meant saving a significant amount of money. I think it sends the wrong message to kids. That's just me though.

Is cruising during school time ideal? Probably not. Is it detrimental? Probably not.

Missing a few days to a week of school is not going to be detrimental to a child, as long as not during state/Federal testing, and the child is not absent for several days throughout the school year. I can remember when growing up and my teachers giving book reports and all kind of assignments during holidays, I didn't understand it then and I don't it now.

We live in Texas (Houston areas as well) and we never took our son out of school for vacation. He went to private school for the first 8 years and then transferred to public school when we finally moved away from H.I.S.D. In Texas, students cannot miss more than 10 days of school or they must repeat that grade in total. I don't know if you knew that or not. We always figured he would miss some days because of illness, dr. appts. dentist etc. So, it wasn't worth risking it to take him from school for a vacation. And yes, you could end up in court and fined-possibly and even jailed.

Of course, if your children regularly attend school and rarely miss then it's unlikely you'll receive anything punitive. It's the chronic absentees whose parents end up in court. I personally wouldn't do it even if it meant saving a significant amount of money. I think it sends the wrong message to kids. That's just me though.

I think you're absolutely right, and have stated some good information. There are a few hundred public school districts in the US, and they are not all the same. Private schools have their own policies. I agree that it sends the wrong message to kids..."Skip school and we'll pay for it and make excuses for you". Forget the two-sentence "I saw sea turtles and dolphins" report to the teacher. (All too common). The message is that it's OK to skip school because Mom and Dad say so. Middle/Jr./High Schools may have a problem with this message, but determined parents will find a way around it! Bail-out. I don't like it, either.

Education is the Strength of Nations

Archived