Cruising with kids during school year

mebecindi

We are pulling our daughter out of school in February for a week to cruise. This will be her first cruise. She is extremly excited and we are too. Her teachers have been aware of it since the begining of the school year. She attends a private school in Texas and has straight A's as well. She's the type of child that comes home and does her homework straight away without being told. She is a sponge for knowledge and we embrace that. We are both college educated parents who understand the importance of schooling. But education is more than book study. It is life study, world study, cultural study. What better way to educate them then to immerse them in these places, even if it is for the brievity of a cruise. She sees places her classmates never have and does things they have never done. What better way to enhance her scholastic education?

So "imsulin" perhaps while your nose is in the book, and ours are in the sunshine of our respective destinations, you'll think of us and all the knowledge and EXPERINCES we are giving our children.

We are pulling our daughter out of school in February for a week to cruise. This will be her first cruise. She is extremly excited and we are too. Her teachers have been aware of it since the begining of the school year. She attends a private school in Texas and has straight A's as well. She's the type of child that comes home and does her homework straight away without being told. She is a sponge for knowledge and we embrace that. We are both college educated parents who understand the importance of schooling. But education is more than book study. It is life study, world study, cultural study. What better way to educate them then to immerse them in these places, even if it is for the brievity of a cruise. She sees places her classmates never have and does things they have never done. What better way to enhance her scholastic education?

So "imsulin" perhaps while your nose is in the book, and ours are in the sunshine of our respective destinations, you'll think of us and all the knowledge and EXPERINCES we are giving our children.

"EXPERINCES". Absolutely. Straight A's. Glad she's "extremly" excited since the "begining" of the school year, and knows that the "brievity" of the cruise will further encourage her to continue to do her homework "straight away".

I'm so glad that you are both "college educated parents"!

Education is the Strength of Nations.

Does anyone cruise with Kids during the school year.

Would you take your kids on a cruise during school.

What do you tell the school?

I am curious what people think about this.

I am not condoning taking the kids out of school but after looking at all prices i sure could save aloth going on a 4 night cruise and they would miss Thursday, Friday and Monday.

I would like others opinions on this please.

We do, we almost always vacation during the school yr.... my husband is in the Coast Guard so times like summer vaca and spring break are when he is busiest. Up here there are VERY liberal attendance policies, and it is usual for families to leave for part of the winter, sometimes for several months even. Our schools have an ILP program where if you are gone more than 10 days consecutive your children are considered homeschooled and the teachers provide the work- this way they don't even get counted as absent. Kids also miss many days traveling for sports teams, band events, field trips, etc. and we won't get into when the school yr accidently crosses into part of salmon season (many teens work boats and tenders)

If we lived in a place with very strict attendance policies then we'd have to adjust a lot.

What's the father's name, Daiquiri Dad? :p

Actually, it's Martini Dad, but I like your idea better. :p

I find, on many threads, that it's absolutely amazing how people use the anonymity of message boards to spew their venom.

By the way, I admit to all of my typos. Yep, I make them from time to time. It's not a big deal. One could have a full-time job "correcting" mistakes on these boards.

Actually, it's Martini Dad, but I like your idea better. :p

I find, on many threads, that it's absolutely amazing how people use the anonymity of message boards to spew their venom.

By the way, I admit to all of my typos. Yep, I make them from time to time. It's not a big deal. One could have a full-time job "correcting" mistakes on these boards.

So, which is it? Martini Mom or Martini Dad? I think that your self-admitted "typos" are the least of your problems. Credibility is a definite issue. I think you've already "spewed" your own venom with the vascillation of your name. Excuses do not excuse.

Education is the Strength of Nations

In my book this is a simple one. Kids, no matter how straight A+ grade inflated they are, ought to be in school every day, barring 1) a temperature or a physical injury or 2) a funeral of a parent, grandparent or other important person. Cruises don't cut it. Going to Sr. Frogs in Cozumel doesn't necessarily give the kids cross-cultural experience that they couldn't get at home. Not much else does either-- 6 hours in port surrounded by shops does not get one immersed in the culture.

Leave the kids in school. Do your vacations according to their schedules and stop being selfish. If it costs too much money to cruise during vacation times, consider vacations at home.

So, which is it? Martini Mom or Martini Dad? I think that your self-admitted "typos" are the least of your problems. Credibility is a definite issue. I think you've already "spewed" your own venom with the vascillation of your name. Excuses do not excuse.

Grammar and spelling fluency are but one part of language arts mastery. Reading comprehension is the other half of the whole. :o

Note:

Originally Posted by Name Of The Game

What's the father's name, Daiquiri Dad?

This is the first time we are taking our kids out of school for a week right before Christmas break so they will actually get three weeks off of school. I was a little leary but since cruise prices are so much cheaper we thought we would take the plunge this time. My 7th grader is straight A's and my 11th grader carries a 3.62 right now. I asked their opinion because they work hard and realize that good grades are important and I didn't want to make it any tougher on them. They thought with this particular week which is right before break would be alright for them to miss without too much hardship. Last year my kids didn't miss one day of school and so far this year none(even with the swine flu outbreaks in MI) so I am not going to feel too guilty. The only guilt I would feel is if my 7th grader breaks his straight A streak!:)

Does anyone cruise with Kids during the school year.

Would you take your kids on a cruise during school.

What do you tell the school?

I am curious what people think about this.

I am not condoning taking the kids out of school but after looking at all prices i sure could save aloth going on a 4 night cruise and they would miss Thursday, Friday and Monday.

I would like others opinions on this please.

Do what works for you and your kids.

Would I take my kids out of high school? Only for one day for our Spring Break cruise, the kids wouldn't have wanted to miss two or three days. Our kids can exempt out of final exams if they have good attendance and good grades - my kids aren't messin' with exemptions!!

It isn't fair to ask teachers to prepare work in advance for what your kids will miss. If the teacher offers that's okay but don't request it.

You are right - big savings if you aren't going through holiday seasons.

In my book this is a simple one. Kids, no matter how straight A+ grade inflated they are, ought to be in school every day, barring 1) a temperature or a physical injury or 2) a funeral of a parent, grandparent or other important person. Cruises don't cut it. Going to Sr. Frogs in Cozumel doesn't necessarily give the kids cross-cultural experience that they couldn't get at home. Not much else does either-- 6 hours in port surrounded by shops does not get one immersed in the culture.

Leave the kids in school. Do your vacations according to their schedules and stop being selfish. If it costs too much money to cruise during vacation times, consider vacations at home.

As I have said in an earlier post, some of us can't take time off work to travel during breaks etc. It's not always about the costs. I missed at least one week almost every year of school to travel as my parents were in the same situation. Most of my greatest memories growing up were our family trips. When our family gets together, we still reminisce about our travel adventures good and bad. I wasn't old enough to appreciate it then, but my mom and dad always told me that I would some day. They were right.

To expect those, who are not as fortunate as others when it comes to vacation time, to never take a family vacation because they may miss a few days of school is ludicrous. My travel experiences as a young child and young teen have served me well in life. Much more than those 5 or so days a year I missed from school. My travel experiences also inspired me to get good grades, go to college, and pursue the career I currently have.

Why is it that the phrases "Well traveled" and "Well educated" are often used together and interchangeably to describe intelligent people?

As for Insulin, you do seem like an angry and bitter person. I think you might have taken a few too many insulin shots. If our current educational system really cares about our childs education, then they would never hire a teacher who is so closed minded and mean spirited as you appear to be.

Through out my entire educational career, I must say that I feel extremely fortunate to have had great teachers and great coaches. However, there was this one, who I to this day thought had no business in the classroom. I wonder if it might be you!

Martini mom...I like your screen name.

It isn't fair to ask teachers to prepare work in advance for what your kids will miss. If the teacher offers that's okay but don't request it.

Fair or not, in some districts this is required for travel related absences. Ours must get pre-absentee sheets filled out with assignments if they will be gone 10 days or less, or a full ILP report filed if they will be gone more than 10 days.

Several years ago, one of my fifth grade students asked me for a five day individual studies contract so she could go on a Panama Canal cruise:D. She came back with information, material, and experience she would never get in my classroom. One of the things I had her do was take some observations of shadows close to the same times we were making them in the California Bay area:rolleyes:. After she returned, we did some comparisons that made some real life connections for all the students. She wrote daily on her experiences and later in the year, we made some awesome connections with experiences of the 49'ers that came across the isthus on way to SF. As a teacher, my experience around the world are priceless in bringing the world and history to my students. IMHO:o, the pros outweigh the cons.

By the way, her family sold me on cruising...the following school year, my wife and I took our first cruise. In two weeks, we will be taking our fifth! I still want to take the Panama Canal cruise:p.

Several years ago, one of my fifth grade students asked me for a five day individual studies contract so she could go on a Panama Canal cruise:D. She came back with information, material, and experience she would never get in my classroom. One of the things I had her do was take some observations of shadows close to the same times we were making them in the California Bay area:rolleyes:. After she returned, we did some comparisons that made some real life connections for all the students. She wrote daily on her experiences and later in the year, we made some awesome connections with experiences of the 49'ers that came across the isthus on way to SF. As a teacher, my experience around the world are priceless in bringing the world and history to my students. IMHO:o, the pros outweigh the cons.

By the way, her family sold me on cruising...the following school year, my wife and I took our first cruise. In two weeks, we will be taking our fifth! I still want to take the Panama Canal cruise:p.

You are a shining example of what a real teacher is or should be. Learning is much easier when the person teaching is able to keep the students interested and asking questions. Having experiences to share with your students keeps them interested much more than simply reading about them.

I would like to thank you, as a student and a parent.

My dear teacher, read. "Name Of The Game" was asking about my husband's screen name. That's what I was providing. Calm down.

As I have said in an earlier post, some of us can't take time off work to travel during breaks etc. It's not always about the costs. I missed at least one week almost every year of school to travel as my parents were in the same situation. Most of my greatest memories growing up were our family trips. When our family gets together, we still reminisce about our travel adventures good and bad. I wasn't old enough to appreciate it then, but my mom and dad always told me that I would some day. They were right.

To expect those, who are not as fortunate as others when it comes to vacation time, to never take a family vacation because they may miss a few days of school is ludicrous. My travel experiences as a young child and young teen have served me well in life. Much more than those 5 or so days a year I missed from school. My travel experiences also inspired me to get good grades, go to college, and pursue the career I currently have.

Why is it that the phrases "Well traveled" and "Well educated" are often used together and interchangeably to describe intelligent people?

As for Insulin, you do seem like an angry and bitter person. I think you might have taken a few too many insulin shots. If our current educational system really cares about our childs education, then they would never hire a teacher who is so closed minded and mean spirited as you appear to be.

Through out my entire educational career, I must say that I feel extremely fortunate to have had great teachers and great coaches. However, there was this one, who I to this day thought had no business in the classroom. I wonder if it might be you!

Martini mom...I like your screen name.

Thank you. :)

You are exactly the kind of teacher I hope my children experience. Travel and life experiences are education lessons all on their own. Reading about something in a book is one thing, experiencing it is a whole different form of education and in my opinion, builds character. My daughter has a whole new empathy for children of lesser means after reading about a school you can visit and take supplies to while in Progreso. We plan to do just that on our trip there in January. She was fascinated with Mayan culture and on her own read several books about it after a previous trip to Costa to visit the ruins.

I must say I am shocked by the hateful comments coming from some posters. Just because you do not agree with something I don't feel there is a need for snide remarks or insults about our children's education, grades or our priorities. It is a personal choice. It is not always about the cheapest time to go, there are many factors that contribute for different families.

You respect my parenting choices and I will respect yours. As for the teachers speaking up, I do respect and appreciate your input, however, we base our decisions based on the opinions of our school's teachers. To date, not a single one has expressed concern over these vacations.

What is important to you? If you want your children to have regard for the rules you may have to vacation when school is out. If (saving) money is most important, that is the lesson your children will learn.

When I taught, I planned my lessons so they were all important. I started the week with the overview. The second day was the book work. The third day was lab. Fourth was review of the week. Friday was quiz day. Both labs and tests were part of the grades. In a 9 week period they got 8 quizzes, 8 labs and lots of information. Then they got the TEST and the LAB TEST in 9th week. If a child was ill or had problems, I did my best to get them caught up. With more that 125 students, I did not have a lot of extra time. If a child lost a whole week, there is no way the child could make up enough to get an A from me. B is NOT a bad mark, but A is for doing EVERYTHING well.

Well, first I'm fairly appalled at some people's complete lack of respect toward others. This is obviously a hot topic but frankly, it's not one that calls for such blatant meanness. Whether we are parents or teachers or administration or just innocent bystanders, we all deserve to be treated with respect and kindness, even (or maybe especially) when someone is disagreeing with us. By the same token, it will not kill anyone to disagree politely and with some degree of humanity. The vitriol and name-calling over something as trivial as a screen name is, well, silly.

However, I am probably going out on a limb here and am about to open myself up for such attacks. So be it. And this is no slam against teachers who I think do a pretty good job with what they have. But, teachers in this day and age are in a classroom to teach kids how to take tests. That's not their fault nor choice, it simply is the way many school districts are run. I believe it's the parents' job, as well, to teach their kids. And we need to teach them how to learn. Learning doesn't just come from books, it comes from experience, broadening horizons beyond a classroom. It comes from being openminded enough to realize there is much more out there than what they see on a day-to-day basis. How can kids know what they don't know if aren't exposed to it? And that may include travel. And if a family has no option but to travel during the school year and their kids are aware of the consequences of missing school, then so be it. Do I believe it's ok to break the rules? Sometimes, yes I do. I also believe that it can teach a child a very valuable lesson in taking responsibility for their choices.

And, as for the teens who can't make change and spend all their time on their cell phones texting? Well, most businesses today require that their employees use their computers so as to minimize errors. And why not use and embrace technology? New technology comes out all the time and has been for thousands of years. What would happen if the first caveman refused to use anything new and still insisted upon beating an animal over its head with a stick? Ditto with the cell phones and texting. Behavior hasn't changed, only the technology has. Kids are still kids, as they should be.

WOW....I had no idea starting a thread like this would get so heated. I am pretty NEW to this board. I am glad to see that other people do this occasionally....It's not something I would do more than once a year...and I would do it if they already missed several days due to illness. So far we have had perfect attendance the last 3 years...

WOW....I had no idea starting a thread like this would get so heated. I am pretty NEW to this board. I am glad to see that other people do this occasionally....It's not something I would do more than once a year...and I would do it if they already missed several days due to illness. So far we have had perfect attendance the last 3 years...

I feel that parents are the first educators of their kids and if they want to go on vacation during the year that is fine with me. We don't....because the kids don't want to.....because they would be uncomfortable missing so much work. Now, your above post does raise another issue.....if you take 4 days or so for a cruise in say January...and then a few weeks later in the middle of sickness season the kids get sick and miss another week:eek:.....that is where is real problem lies....not in missing days for a trip but getting sick and with all this swine flu hysteria (the sky is falling, the sky is falling), the schools want you to keep the kids out longer than you normally would have in previous years......that is something to ponder......

At the beginning of this school year my son came home with a notice from school (middle school) stating that any student out of school without a medical reason (note from doctor) for 5 days or more will have 10 points taken off of their grade average for each subject:eek:

My DD is in the first grade and we are taking her out for two days the week before Thanksgiving, and we have the Principal's approval. In fact, I wrote the letter tonight for her file.

:D

Now if she was older, we might have to reconsider, but at this age, and with our daughter, we are CONFIDENT we are making the right choice.

Fair or not, in some districts this is required for travel related absences. Ours must get pre-absentee sheets filled out with assignments if they will be gone 10 days or less, or a full ILP report filed if they will be gone more than 10 days.

Fair enough - Obviously our education system is different.

Archived