Victoria Forces of Nature tour - RCCL

Has anyone done the Forces of Nature tour in Victoria? RCCL offers it - and requires that a waiver be signed. I don't see anything listed in the tour description that would indicate why a waiver would be required.

If you've done this tour, please tell me ALL about it!

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Ah - the thread has returned. ;) LOL! I got an email about a posting to the thread yesterday...but you know what it was like on the boards yesterday. (Darn computers!)

Anyway, thanks Luckysll for looking it up and giving your thoughts on it.

Cruiseryyc - here's the description:

Explore Victoria's landscape, buildings, trees and natural and cultural history with a professional Geologist/Engineer and historian. Drive past famous Victoria tourist attractions, including the Inner Harbor, the BC Legislative Buildings, Empress Hotel, Beacon Hill Park and Craigdarroch Castle. Drive through quiet flower lined streets and make a stop on top of Mt. Tolmie. Walk in the footsteps of Canada's native peoples and discover hidden treasures including secluded beaches and park lined waterways not often seen by visitors. Gain an understanding of the natural processes that created and shaped Vancouver Island and the Pacific Northwest, all while taking in the sights of Canada's Garden City. Learn about volcanoes, earthquakes and tsunamis and the importance of these natural phenomena in the region. Global warming is explained and evidence of past global warming cycles revealed within the beauty of Victoria.

Instead of the Forces of Nature tour, I'm also considering just going to Oak Bay Village/Marina for a few hours. Is this a nice place to spend some time? Are the seals always there? Have you eaten at The Marina restaurant? Good...or do you recommend somewhere else to eat in the area? (Any good place to get a lobster roll?)

It looks like I could take the HOHO but would it be easier and less expensive to just catch a cab?

Basically, I guess I'm asking for any input on Oak Bay. ;)

Thanks!

Instead of the Forces of Nature tour, I'm also considering just going to Oak Bay Village/Marina for a few hours. Is this a nice place to spend some time? Are the seals always there? Have you eaten at The Marina restaurant? Good...or do you recommend somewhere else to eat in the area? (Any good place to get a lobster roll?)

It looks like I could take the HOHO but would it be easier and less expensive to just catch a cab?

Basically, I guess I'm asking for any input on Oak Bay. ;)

Getting there; You can just take the #1 RICHARDSON or #2 OAK BAY bus from downtown, it's $2.25. From the cruise terminal, walk to the street (don't cross it), grab a #30 or #31 bus, that will take you downtown, and then use the same ticket to get on a #1 or #2. A lot cheaper than a cab (which will be 10-15$), and quite a nice ride.

As for eats, I wouldn't recommend lobster, as lobster is from the east coast. I do recommend Barb's Fish & Chips (if it's still there), or check out the Victoria restaurant reviews at http://dinehere.ca/

If you're looking for something to do closer at hand, it's a nice walk from teh cruise terminal to either Beacon Hill Park or Fisherman's Wharf, and the harbour ferries from Fisherman's Wharf are a nice view of the inner harbour.

Map of Victoria, from a cruise ship point of view

Have fun!

Thanks, scottbee! What FABULOUS info!!!

(Yeah, I know that lobster is from the east coast...I'm just so darn hungry for a lobster roll that I could scream! Darn that Bobby Flay and his recent show on lobster rolls! Love 'em...and haven't had a good one in ages!!! Maybe there's a king crab roll somewhere along this cruise route! HEY! That's a thought! ;))

I think spending your time wandering around fisherman's wharf (where Barb's Fish & Chips is located) and then into Beacon Hill Park would be more fun than the tour. Oak Bay would also be a lovely spot to take the bus out to - nice shops to wander through. I was at the Marina last week but the seals were no shows that morning. The actual Marina restaurant is very nice but quite expensive. There is a great pub along Oak Bay Avenue called the Penny Farthing - good food and drink.

Back to the tour - why you would need to sign a waiver for that is beyond me! The only thing that comes to mind is that you most likely will be wandering onto beaches and someone could possibly slip on a rock or trip over a log.

Beach4me, re: the Forces of Nature tour, I've never heard of such a thing but I suppose it could be interesting. Looks like it's mostly a driving tour, with a few stops along the way. I grew up in Victoria, lived there for 35 years, so I suppose any local would know what information would be included. Victoria is on an earthquake fault line, and can sometimes get tsunami warnings when there is an off-shore earthquake. The entire time I lived there there was never a tsunami, and I recall only one warning (prompting phone calls from worried relatives!).

I don't know; Victoria is absolutely lovely and charming, and I'm not all together convinced that one needs to take a tour at all. Hmm. Perhaps you might use the Search funtion here and check out the other Victoria threads; I know there are dozens and dozens because I and other locals have contributed to them.

No lobster rolls in Victoria. I was in Halifax last year and had one there; have to admit it wasn't quite what I was looking for and I left hungry. :( Paula Deen spoiled me for hers after I watched her show once, so I understand the craving. :D

Late September next year, right?

Thanks for your replies/thoughts, cruiseryyc & Langley Cruisers! I think you - and Scott - have sold me on the idea of spending a lovely autumn day visiting Oak Bay, Fisherman's Wharf and Beacon Hill.

I would much rather just explore a place, eat a bite in a local's favorite, and sit on a bench looking across the water than participate in an organized tour. Alaska is going to be quite busy, so I think this is a perfect way to say farewell to the Pacific Northwest.

Thanks again so very, very much to everyone for your input. Looking forward to visiting you in a few months! ;)

(btw - if you hear of something absolutely "not miss" or if you have a to-die-for lunch somewhere in any of the above mentioned areas, please do let me know! I'll be keeping my list up to date for the next several months! In the meantime, I'm going to look up the menu to Penny Farthing. :))

Barb's Fish and Chips should be open. It has been all this year. lLso, there are seals

that hang around there because the visitors love to feed them. One of the floats sells fresh

fish and also sells small packets for feeding the seals.'THere is a bit of distance between the shops of Oak Bay Village and the marina area. I think downtown Victoria would be just

as interesting, especially with a trip on one of the harbour ferries. They offer complete

tours of the entire harbour waterway. There is also a very nice foreshore walk all around the harbour.

Whatever you decide on, I am sure you will have a great visit.

Here's the website for the Harbour Ferries:

http://www.victoriaharbourferry.com/

You can either use them as transportation between points (Fisherman's Wharf to Inner Harbour; Inner Harbour to Spinnakers Pub, etc.) or take a longer, narrated tour. The one that travels along the Gorge Waterway is good.

If you happen to be here on a Sunday, these little boats do a water "ballet" which is quite fun to watch. There's a video on the website that shows it.

Thanks for your replies/thoughts, cruiseryyc & Langley Cruisers! I think you - and Scott - have sold me on the idea of spending a lovely autumn day visiting Oak Bay, Fisherman's Wharf and Beacon Hill.

I would much rather just explore a place, eat a bite in a local's favorite, and sit on a bench looking across the water than participate in an organized tour. Alaska is going to be quite busy, so I think this is a perfect way to say farewell to the Pacific Northwest.

Thanks again so very, very much to everyone for your input. Looking forward to visiting you in a few months! ;)

(btw - if you hear of something absolutely "not miss" or if you have a to-die-for lunch somewhere in any of the above mentioned areas, please do let me know! I'll be keeping my list up to date for the next several months! In the meantime, I'm going to look up the menu to Penny Farthing. :))

If you're a beer drinker, there's a couple of brew pubs which can't be missed, Swan's and Spinnaker's. There's another fish and chip place in Oak Bay, which is also excellent (Willow's Galley 2559 Estevan Ave), definately a good choice.

Victoria has a lot of very good pubs, and due to the fact that one of them, had great meals 20+ years ago (the 6 mile pub started it all) there was a bit of a gastronomy race to see who could out-do each other. Most of them have EXCELLENT food as well as good local beer. A few recommendations;

• Sticky Wicket (downtown, Douglas St -- stole the chef from the 6 Mile)
  • Christies Carriage House (Fort St, near Royal Jubilee Hospital)
  • Swan's (Store St @ Johnston St, downtown)
  • Spinnaker's (Mary St)

And again, the local bus system is excellent, especially in the areas you're talking about visiting.

You guys are GREAT!!! Thanks so much for all the suggestions/recommendations. I think my problem might be running out of time before I've seen everywhere I want to (although, thank goodness, we're in port from (9 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.). Hang on a sec...we are in port on a Sunday. Will thinks open later - or be closed - because it's a Sunday?

THANKS...again! :)

Swan's (Store St @ Johnston St, downtown)...

That reminds me of Market Square, which is across the street. Is it still there and are the stores doing well there? That was a nice place to spend some time. As teens, we used to go there all the time and get fudge at Fat Phege's Fudge Factory. Gosh... dating myself... *gulp!*

• 2 weeks later...
That reminds me of Market Square, which is across the street. Is it still there and are the stores doing well there? That was a nice place to spend some time. As teens, we used to go there all the time and get fudge at Fat Phege's Fudge Factory. Gosh... dating myself... *gulp!*

I am in contact with the manager of Market Square fairly regularly and am advised that while the tone of the complex has changed a bit in recent times it is very much open and dong well.

I am in contact with the manager of Market Square fairly regularly and am advised that while the tone of the complex has changed a bit in recent times it is very much open and dong well.

REALLY???? I used to love their fudge and to be honest forgot it was there.....WOO HOO I am going to get me some fudge soon :)

There used to be a great healthy pizza place there as well ((80's I am really dating myself) the pizza was whole wheat crust and to die for :0

• 2 weeks later...

Archived