Quebec City hotel suggestions

Our Enchantment of the Seas cruise this October departs for Quebec City this fall. We plan to arrive several days early to visit the area as it looks beautiful. The Chateau Fontenau is out of our budget (unless they run a promo later in the year), but we'd like to stay in a nice hotel. Any suggestions?

La Chateau de Pierre

17, Avenue Ste-Geneviève Québec (Québec) G1R 4A8

Quebec

1-888-694-0429

Stayed there twice (10 yrs apart) and most recently in 2003.. love it.. right across park from Frontenac so great location, gets very good reviews on the sites that have them and the owners are wonderful. You can walk to everything from here..and it's "high season" in fall so wherever you stay you are wise to be looking into it now.

http://www.igougo.com/planning/journalEntryAccommodation.asp?type=1&entryID=5278

I probably could get you a good price at the Loews Le Concorde Hotel. Good location for sightseeing and for nightlife too (we have discounts where I work, because we send them many customers).

I am not a travel agent or anything like that, I simply work and live in Quebec City.

Thank you for your suggestions. I have to agreed with Caroline, I really want to "experience' Quebec and would rather not stay at a "chain" hotel. I'm checking out the Pierre, Caroline, thanks. Do either of you know anything about the Manoir-Victoria or Auberge-St. Antoine? They are the other 2 I'm looking at. TIA!

I have heard of Manoir Victoria and know where it is but don't know anyone who has stayed there and the other I'm not familiar with. There are a lot of little hotels and inns along the cobbled streets of the old city. I like the location near the Chateau because it's near the funicular (or steps) down to the Lower Town and right near Dufferin Terrace and the fortress. But the entire area is charming. Look on tripadvisor.com or one of those sites and you might find someone who's stayed at one of the others.

• 4 weeks later...
Thank you for your suggestions. I have to agreed with Caroline, I really want to "experience' Quebec and would rather not stay at a "chain" hotel. I'm checking out the Pierre, Caroline, thanks. Do either of you know anything about the Manoir-Victoria or Auberge-St. Antoine? They are the other 2 I'm looking at. TIA!

Both Manoir Victoria and Auberge St.-Antoine are good choices, nice 3-3 1/2 star properties. Manoir Victoria is in Upper Town, within the old city walls, close to a lot of shopping and restaurants. Auberge St.-Antoine is in Lower Town, right in front of the cruise ship dock - in fact, one of its buildings is an old shipping warehouse. I think Manoir Victoria is probably a little cheaper, but if you're departing/arriving by cruise ship, Auberge St.-Antoine's location can't be beat!

Thanks for the info Twickenham. Since my original post, I've found some reviews of the Auberge St. Antoinne and we've decided to go with them. I knew by looking at the map that it was close to the port, but because I an unfamiliar with the elevations of the city, I wasn't sure if we would really be able to wake up in the morning and look out our window and see the ships, but it appears that is the case. I love doing that! It also appears that the lower city has lots to do and see. We arrive 3 days pre-cruise. So we'll spend one day in the walled city, one day in the lower city and an afternoon touring the surrounding areas. Can't get here fast enough!

Sounds like a good plan, Murphy. Also, you'll be right beside the Musée de la civilisation (Museum of Civilisation), which is IMHO one of the best museums in the city. As for restaurants, L'Initiale is right behind the museum - a bit pricey for dinner, but usually a good deal for their 3-course lunches (CAD$10-20). There's also a restaurant, Le Café du monde, which is on the second floor of the cruise terminal - never been there myself, but supposed to be very good.

Thanks, Murphy for pointing me in this direction!

I am arriving on 10/1/05 late afternoon and will be boarding the Enchantment on 10/2 around noon. I am staying at the Loews (got it cheap on Priceline). I know this hotel is outside the Old City, but besides the hotel where I can I find some good, simple food? And what can I do besides the city tour offered by Quebec City Tours on Sunday AM? Also, any place for a small group staying at different hotels inside and outside the Old City to meet for a drink or late dinner on Saturday evening?

The Loews may be outside the city walls, but it's probably the best spot to find a restaurant - it's on Grande-Allée, which is lined with restaurants, everything from classy to McDonalds (which is housed in quite a lovely old victorian house, so actually quite nice). Just walk up and down the street and read menus until you find something to your liking - there's a law in QC that states restaurants have to post their menus outside, so it's quite easy to compare. As for a meeting place for a group, might I suggest l'Astral, the revolving rooftop restaurant at the Loews. A bit pricey for dinner, but they actually encourage people just to go there for a drink mid-afternoon or in the evening. A great way to see the city!

Thanks so much for all the great tips Twickenham. Like SailingLisa, we will be arriving during the afternoon of October 1st and will want to pack a lot in before boarding the next day. For meals, having menus posted sounds extremely civilized, not to mention extremely helpful!

We hope you were able to enjoy Carnivale with BonHomme last week!

-Cat & Dave

Twickenham - thank you for the information! I was wondering how close the Loews was to restaurants - I guess I just have to talk a short walk to find some. That really eases my mind. And thanks for the suggestion of L'Astral - maybe I can invite Murphy and Ichiban and Corporatean for after dinner drinks there! I have heard that Loews was built at the highest point in the city.

• 3 weeks later...
Twickenham - thank you for the information! I was wondering how close the Loews was to restaurants - I guess I just have to talk a short walk to find some. That really eases my mind. And thanks for the suggestion of L'Astral - maybe I can invite Murphy and Ichiban and Corporatean for after dinner drinks there! I have heard that Loews was built at the highest point in the city.

Loews is outside the old city (would stay inside the old city if at all possible) but not far from the gate.. IMHO only there are many more restaurants in the old city (upper and lower) that have better atmosphere and menus than those outside.. Ditto recommendation on Ancient Canadian.. their fixed price menu for lunch is excellent and less than the dinner menu but many of the same items. There are many places in the lower town that are worth checking out also... Have been to QC several times vacationing and can honestly say have not had a bad meal and never eat at chain restaurants although there are some in the "new" city..

Archived