What to do in Key West etc

jabberman_76366

In Key West, we just wandered about, shopped a bit, ate at Sloppy Joes (and listened to the live music!) and bar-hopped for a short time. (We weren't there very long!!) It's so easily doable on your own....it's small and walkable.

Where else will you be going?

We took this same trip in July. In Key West, my daughter and I parasailed. I was a bit nervous, but it was amazing! I would definitely do it again without hesitation.

In Freeport, we did a little shopping and then returned to the ship. As many have said, I was not too impressed with Freeport.

In Nassau, we took a cab to Atlantis for a while, then just had the driver show us around -- went to an old fort, some shopping, and saw some waterfalls.

It's a great trip, although overpriced due to the demand for a new itinerary.

Key West we just walked around and enjoyed a few bars and some shopping. Freeport we just hit the little shops at the pier, but I'd recommend one of the all inclusives, Wyndam is where a bunch of our group went. Nassau, we had a blast at Blackbeard's cay, it's inexpensive, smallish, but great for begining snorkelers. Then we went shopping.

We are plannig on driving to Key West prior to our cruise in December and I have heard about the sandal shop there. Can anyone please tell me anything about that??

Thanks

Julie

Kinos sandals...they make them to fit your feet....way cool...its right outside mallory square, ask anyone and they will point you in the right direction...:D

on your way there, stop at the little bar on the side of the restaurant (dont know the name but you will know it when you see it) and get you the best pina colada you have ever had !!!

In case you weren't aware, there are whole sections of these boards dedicated to each port of call, so you can read up on all sorts of recommendations and reviews there. You might get more info. there than in this Carnival section.

That being said, in Key West there is a neat butterfly house called Key West Butterfly. Definitely bring your camera! I got a ton of great butterfly photos in there. It is very beautifully done with a little river with koi fish in it, lots of foliage, a paved (accessible) pathway to walk on, a couple places to sit, etc. It is indoors in a greenhouse-type room with high ceilings. The gift shop is nice, too - I bought a beautiful necklace/earrings set there for a whole lot less than I would've been willing to pay for them! :) They have butterfly-themed items, too, of course.

In Nassau, there is a semi-submarine tour that is cool. First they take you on a boat from the dock (Paradise Island side, same place the ferry from Nassau drops you off) along the channel (going away from the cruise ships) and they point out the vacation homes of all the famous ppl (Oprah, Chuck Norris, the Starbucks guy, and more). Then you transfer to the semi-submarine and walk down a short flight of stairs to get into the underwater part of it. (The top of it stays above water like a boat at all times, hence "semi"-submarine.) You take a seat in front of your own personal large window to check out the fish and other sealife as the semi-sub moves along. A tour guide tells you about the fish - the one we had was funny in a cheesy way (and sometimes had "adult" type jokes). There was only one other group on the tour we went on, so we were able to move from window to window to check out the different fish and all. It was fun! Then you transfer back onto the regular boat and they take you back to the same dock. I can't remember what it was called at the moment, but if you search these boards, you'll find it 'cause I have mentioned it before. Search for "semi-submarine".

We did the Old Town Trolley Tour. You were able to get on and off as you want at the stops. (There are two trolleys. This one allows you to get on and off. The Conch Train Trolley does not allow you to get off)

We want to go to the Eastern route out of Galveston. What do you all recomend for the three ports of call?

You can read my review, if you want to call it that, of the Bahamas cruise on the Conquest here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1067709

She's a great ship with a great crew. I'm sure you'll love every minute!!!

:)

In Key West we rented an eletric 4 seater for 4 hours, and cruised the whole island. it was a blast, the kids loved it. went to southern most point and took pictures, we stopped by a grocery store and bought some cokes to take back to the ship. then walked duvall street and ate at sloppy joe's, then shopped mallory square. loved blackbeard's cay in nassua, took the speed boat, so we were the first cruisers there that morning, loved it, great snorkeling, lots of aquatic creatures to see :D have a great cruise

The first time we went to Key West we just walked around the port area & got back on the ship. The second time I researched it on Cruise Critic & we did the Trolley Tour (our guide was funny & informative), went to the Hemmingway house, had a drink at Hog's Breath, had a key lime pie on a stick & found the guy on the street that had a sign Dirty Jokes For A Dollar (sorry but he was really funny, we were almost late getting back to the ship my DH was laughing so hard). The architecture is gorgeous. That being said, Key West is not my favorite port although we enjoyed it much more the second time around.

In Nassua we went on the Yellowbird Party Boat to Blackbeard's Cay & had a blast.

We have been to Key West a couple of times. The best thing we ever did was a jet ski tour. It was really fun, at one point you stopped at a sand bar and got off the jet ski, so wierd standing in the middle of the ocean. It was not a ship tour, rentals (made reservation in advance) were right at the pier, unless you dock at the naval yard because then you have to take the tram into town. Another great thing are the sunsets and the sunset festivals at night, that's went all the wierdo's come out, although some ships don't stay that late we stayed late 2 times on Disney. One time we took the trolley tour and that was ok, one time we just walked around town and that was boring.

We took a jeep tour in Freeport last September, ship tour, and that was fun because you got to see the whole island and ended up at a beach.

The zoo and snorkling were arbout the best things we did in Nassau.

We don't like boring things (for us that's shopping), mostly water sports and very active things.

We are plannig on driving to Key West prior to our cruise in December and I have heard about the sandal shop there. Can anyone please tell me anything about that??

Thanks

Julie

We were at this sandal shop called Kino's. Sandals are all handmade, inexpensive. I just checked out their website....prices range from $9-14.00. I bought style #1 "Lili" and quite liked them! They are a very flat sandal with little arch support but still fairly comfortable. The shop is an easy walk from what I recall.:D

We like to take the Conch Train (trolley) tour of KW, stop at the Key Lime Pie store for some delicious Key Lime Pie on a Stick, visit the Mel Fisher Sunken Treasure Museum and just walking the streets. Margarittaville is a fantastic place to pick up Jimmy Buffett souveniers and grab a bite to eat.

If you ship doesn't sail until after dark, you can see a beautiful sunset at Mallory Square (at the pier).

A dear friend of ours (Matt Avery) use to play at Irish Kevin's bar there, but I believe he's moved up to the NY area.

:cool:Bill

You will love Key West! I did!!! The best way to see Key West is the Olde Town Trolley. It is a hop on-hop off tour where you can get on and off at any point along the route all day long. Many places if interest are nearby or on the route and you can buy tickets for the tours at a discounted price at their various drop point locations.

We went to Key west, Nassau and Freeport.

In Key West we got tickets for the conch train tour and the Aquiruam for 38.00 in Key west. It was about 2 hours long and we can get off and on. They allow to get off and if you want to look around longer then they are at that stop for you can wait for the next train to come around and you can get on that train and they help you get back with your group or tour guide you started with. you can do the train tour and ship wreck museum for 38.00 as well. we just did not do the museum since we had my 2 year old son that liked the aquirum better. It is very interesting thing to do. Then you have time to do other things in Key west as well.

In Nassau we just walked around and shoped some. We were told that Atlantis was not that great by a friend. But I heard alot of people that went there off the ship that really liked it. So I would say go to that and have fun.

Freeport we stayed on the ship it is not worth getting off alot of people we talked to that did get off was disapointed that they got off the ship and spent 5.00 to get in and out of town just to shop.

Enjoy your cruise.

On Key West (my first visit), I went to the Mel Fisher museum. I'm a history buff, and really enjoyed the Atocha treasures. Couldn't afford to buy squat (including a beautiful silver quarter dubloon with chain), but the exhibits and history of the Atocha were worth the $10.00 admission fee. (I think it was 10 bucks).

Archived