Specialty Restaurants

ccm02339

My Husband and kids(11 and 9) and I are sailing on the Freedom in January and with the two cabins we have booked Costco has added dinner for two at Chops/Portofino. I am very excited to try at least one of these restaurants but would like to know, will there be availability for reservations on the ship? I think we should wait to see what night the kids are interested in activities so we can go on our own. Will I have any options if we wait to book? Thanks for your help

My Husband and kids(11 and 9) and I are sailing on the Freedom in January and with the two cabins we have booked Costco has added dinner for two at Chops/Portofino. I am very excited to try at least one of these restaurants but would like to know, will there be availability for reservations on the ship? I think we should wait to see what night the kids are interested in activities so we can go on our own. Will I have any options if we wait to book? Thanks for your help

Yes they keep some slots for on board booking, its best to not leave it too late, a lot of people make reservations the first day.

Hubby and I waited to book restaurants on board. Portofinos was totally booked and we could not get in. We managed to get into Chops because of a cancellation. It was not the time we wanted but we went any way and enjoyed our meal. We are going on Oasis in February and we have learned from our Freedom experience and have already pre-booked our restaurants. Remember you can cancel up to 24 hours notice without being charged.

We have always been able to get a spot at either restaurant (just lucky I guess...) but we do have to move around on the time. With kids, I would recommend trying to get an early dining time at Chops or Portofino as these restaurants get very crowded as the evening gets later. I forget the actual hours of operation but I think you can book a 5:30ish to 6ish time without too much of a problem once you get on the ship.

Maybe you should get your hands on the Freedom's weekly Main Dining room menus and nightly schedules (I would give you ours but there have probably been changes since 2006), pick the nights that you want to eat at Chops and Portofino and go directly to the restaurants when you get aboard and book your time ASAP. One caution... it takes a good 2 to 2 1/2 hours to fully enjoy a meal at these restaurants... sometimes kids don't have the patience to sit there for that long. I certainly don't know your children, but DW and I have seen issues with that a few times. (We certainly had a few of those too with our son years ago.)

If I were you... the kids would probably enjoy their activities much more and you guys can have a nice dinner by yourselves... remember you are on a cruise and you do deserve a bit of what the DW calls "just us" time.

----------------------------

Sea ya!

Ron and Lee

Canton, Ga

RCCL Platinum Member

"In wine there is wisdom, in beer there is freedom,

in water there is bacteria." – Ben Franklin

Previous Cruises – 59 Days at Sea!

Carnival Mardis Gras - 3 Day Bahamas - April 1982

Carnival Destiny - 7 Days Western Carib. - April 1998

Princess Grand Princess - 7 Days Eastern Carib. - April 1999

Princess Sea Princess - 7 Days Western Carib. - March 2000

Princess Grand Princess - 7 Days Western Carib. - March 2002

RCCL Navigator of the Seas - 7 Days Western Carib. - March 2003

RCCL Mariner of the Seas - 7 Days Western Carib. - April 2005

RCCL Freedom of the Seas - 7 Days Western Carib. - 6/18 - 6/25/2006

RCCL Liberty of the Seas - 7 Days Eastern Carib. - 7/19 - 7/26/08

Planned Cruises

RCCL Oasis of the Seas – Our Friends Cruise - April 17, 2010

RCCL Allure of the Seas – Our Neighborhood Cruise - 2011

The BIG One - Southeast Asia 14 day – 2012?

Princess Cruises - The Med – 14 day – 2013?

I agree with you that you should wait and see which night the kids are interested in the activities. My guess would be one of the formal nights.

Regardless, if you are going with your kids (and since their under 13), remember you need to book your reservation prior to 7pm. That in itself will give you more opportunity for availability going before 7. Also, going before 7 will allow the kids to potentially eat their entire meal and head off to AO while you and hubby enjoy your entrees and desserts. Just a thought there.

Now, if it's just going to be you and hubby, I'd suggest making reservations as soon as you can when you get on board. You can visit with the AO staff to inquire about the kids activities, etc., then make your reservation.

One piece of advice, don't take "no" for an answer. On my last cruise, I called one day in advance for a 7:30pm table. I was told no 7:30, but they had a 6pm and 8:30pm. Hmmm... sounds like the MDR seatings? Anyway, I said that I'd really appreciate a 7 or 7:30, was put on hold and low and behold, they miraculously had a cancellation at 7:30! :rolleyes:

Regardless, you'll have a great meal. I've been to both, but am kind of partial to Chops. Take a look at the menus (here on CC) and the venues once on board and make your decisions from there.

Have fun.

Here is a link to Cruisinmama's AO compasses. I have found this very helpful in trying to figure out when things were going on with the kids. There are some fairly recent Freedom ones out there. Maybe this will help in trying to plan what night is best.

http://s204.photobucket.com/albums/bb196/cruisinmama06/Royal%20Caribean%20AO%20Compass/

Archived