"I wish I knew before..."

T&Dcruisers

Been on a number of cruises, never took duct tape, never once have I regretted it.

There are people who has used it when the zippers on their luggage broke; when the seas were rough and the drawers/doors wouldn't stay shut; for a number of other things. Really, how much room does it take?

OK!! Now this is going to sound "stupider" why do you need a power strip??? Are we just limited on one AC plug per room? I am never ever travelled on a ship and very little at all so I need LOTS of education! ;-))

OK!! Now this is going to sound "stupider" why do you need a power strip??? Are we just limited on one AC plug per room? I am never ever travelled on a ship and very little at all so I need LOTS of education! ;-))

It is almost impossible to plug in a battery charger or other devices.

The plugs are designed so that only a two prong plug will plug in. If your battery charger needs to plug into a socket and it has to go flush against a wall, it cannot be done.

The plugs are designed so that only a two prong plug will plug in. If your battery charger needs to plug into a socket and it has to go flush against a wall, it cannot be done.

Wow! Sure glad to have been on this forum before the trip, I would never have known about this! Thanks!!

I second that. The plug in is at the back of vanity usually and the mirror butts up so close that you cannot put a cell phone or camera charger into it. It only takes a short extension to solve the problem.

Although I've been on two cruises, I found this thread to be quite helpful! I particularly would like to shout out to the person who suggested the white noise app on the iPhone. I normally sleep with a fan on, and my BFF, who is my cruise partner this time around (poor DH gets to stay home by himself) likes a fan too. I was afraid she was going to suggest turning on the tv for noise - well, that would keep me up all night. So I downloaded the white noise app and hopefully will get used to it in time for our cruise.

The things I must pack have been mentioned - particularly the over the door shoe organizer. DH & I found that to be very practical to keep all our bathroom stuff in, and keep the counters clean. Royal Caribbean doesn't offer a whole lot of bathroom space in the E1 and D1 cabins. I took highlighters the first time and never used them, so they stayed home the second cruise.

One thing I have added to my travel sewing kit: when I bring stuff back from the dry cleaners I take the safety pins and pin them into the lining of my carryon bag. I usually have a half dozen there, in varying sizes. More often than not, they stay there. But a couple times I have been very happy to be able to put a quick fix on a wardrobe malfunction. That's not just a cruise thing, though, that's a travel anywhere idea.

I also make sure to pack a couple packets of sink-size Woolite or laundry soap (I have found sink size packets of Tide... once... sure would like to find them again). But in case of a spill or whatnot, or avoiding the $20 laundry bag in mid-week, I can get some undies at least washed in the bathroom sink. Then I use the line RCI has in the showers to dry them with the handy-dandy plastic clothespins I've packed. Not a whole packet of them.... about 8-10 only.

Edited by Kikkycat

Above all, remember that the cruise is what YOU make it. Mind-set is everything. Don't complain about food, flowers, water, etc. Think positive and you'll find the good points that will make your cruise FUN.

Smile and be polite to every crew member you pass... even the ones vacuuming the hallways. It'll make their day and yours!

A handy thing to take is a small flashlight... just in case the power ever goes out and you have to see where you're going. (Same applies to stays in hotels).

One of the suggestions early on in these posts is to " Research your ports ahead of time, and reserve private excursions. Never take a ship's excursion -- the financial savings are nice, but the real perk is the smaller groups."

I believe the Insurance of booking thru the cruise line far out weighs the benefits, if you book on your own and you are late back to the ship for any reason they will and have sailed without there guests, If you book thru the cruise line they have and do wait for there guest no matter the reason, so my suggestion to you is do you want to worry about the ship leaving without you?

Edited by ca1rob

One of the earlier suggestions was as follows "Research your ports ahead of time, and reserve private excursions. Never take a ship's excursion -- the financial savings are nice, but the real perk is the smaller groups."

I believe the Insurance of booking thru the cruise line far out weighs the benefits, if you book on your own and you are late back to the ship for any reason they will and have sailed without there guests, If you book thru the cruise line they have and do wait for there guest no matter the reason, so my suggestion to you is do you want to worry about the ship leaving without you?

Edited by ca1rob

I can't believe a ship built in the last 15-20 years would have a 2-prong plug (can't believe any ship would have an ungrounded plug), but we shall see.

I've read here that some cruise lines don't like extension cords and will keep yours for you until the end of the cruise. I bought a little power strip that folds up small. It has a grounded plug.

QUOTE 5. When you see a group a other cruisers trying to take pictures of each other in front of an attraction, take their camera, make them all get into the shot and take the picture for them.

I started doing this years ago, People really appreciate it. Especially young honeymooning couples.

6. A easy to remove door decoration. Not a sticker, but they make a removable cling. Print something nice on it, put it on the outside of your cabin door, makes finding your room much easier, for you and if you invite guests to your room. (and on the second to last day move it 2 doors down and watch all the other people who were also using it try to get into the wrong room)

I LOVE this idea! SO funny!

Another thing I take is a tube of super glue. Try fixing expensive sunglasses with duct tape. not so fashionable??? We found some at one port 4 days into our cruise. It's small & I keep it in with my cosmetics.

Every cruise/vacation we go on we do what we call "Make a memory" It's when something extraordinary or really funny happens & we remember it for years to come. I write them down & we have something to talk about years later.

We also make a note to watch the people. They are soo funny. You really don't realize it until someone does something really strange or funny. I always talk to the bartenders. They have some real funny stories about some of the previous passengers. "One lady asked the bartender which way was the front of the ship, then the other lady with her asked him which way was the back of the ship!! :confused:" I still remember some of them.

Just relax & laugh ALOT! It's what brings some joy into our lives!:):D

Do not forget a very good suntan lotion and a cooling and moisturizing aftersun: wind and sun makes you look younger while they last, do it the right way.

A very good night cream, for the same reason.

Undies that can be washed overnight and left to hang in the shower :) without embarassing you.

a shawl or pashmina to keep in your bag because air conditioning in certain area could be freezing and you'll end up with a sore throat. It is good for going into religious places, also.

a plastic bag, the foldable ones you use for shopping : take it with you when you on shore excursions.

reading glasses : bring an extra pair if you can :)

Edited by fayruz

This thread has been AMAZING! Thanks to everyone that took the time and added all of their great hints. It took me a long time to read all of this so I can appreciate what went into it!

Another note about Duct tape: it's great for preventing blisters! If you have new shoes or you feel a spot on your heel starting to get sore or the strap of a sandal that is starting to rub then use the tape on your skin like you would a blister pad or band aid. (This is before a blister forms obviously! It would certainly hurt coming off otherwise. :eek:)

I've marched an entire parade in new dress shoes with duct tape on my heels and it worked perfectly!

Just having finished my first cruise, let me add my $.02

1. I'm sure this varies by cruise line, but on RC's Brilliance, they are not strict at ALL about dress codes. I saw plenty of people in shorts in the dining room on casual nights, and on "formal" nights, there were men in polo shirts, button downs with no tie, and women in cotton dresses. Several of my cruising companions were disappointed that they went out and bought special clothes for the cruise when it clearly wasn't necessary.

2. The advice to bring a 1 to 6 outlet converter is golden--and note on RC's Brilliance the outlets are oriented sideways, so our 1 to 3 adapters that expand normal outlets sideways did not plug in.

3. Visiting a different city for one day, every day is EXHAUSTING. I couldn't believe how tired I got--grab sleep where you can because it'll catch up with you!

4. Sometimes the photo department will let you gather up your photos and put them in a folder with your name to keep them organized--we didn't find out this was an option til the last day when we were scrambling to try to find all of our pictures, so ask when you first arrive.

5. People on here keep saying bring fewer clothes--I have to disagree with that. I wore every single thing I brought, and I was worried I'd overpacked. Keep in mind that on port days, you are likely going to want two outfits because one will get sweaty during the day--and you're not going to want to re-wear that one! It's more realistic to think you'll repeat dinner outfits, but definitely bring at least one outfit for every day and don't plan to repeat shirts you wear in port, at least not in the Mediterranean in August!

6. "Comfortable walking shoes" have an entirely different meaning in normal life than on a cruise. Sandals that are fine for strolling around the mall for an hour or two are completely different from shoes that will hold up over an entire day of walking miles and miles up and down hills, stairs, dirt, and puddles. Keep this in mind when deciding what to pack. And oh, NEVER walk 10+ miles in pleather closed-toed shoes.

7. It's totally possible to do all the ports of call on your own. I ended up doing this but was nervous about it, and it was totally fine. Get Rick Steves guidebooks to European cities if your itinerary includes them--his practical tips are so valuable and he includes great walking tours that basically enable you to be your own tour guide.

Edited by Katekinss

Cell phone clocks - some times work, but mostly not.

I discovered the hard way that you cannot shut the phone off to conserve the battery and then turn it back on to have a time clock. When you turn it back on it has to access the network to obtain time/date info - if you're outside the service area it cannot update that info and will not display the time. (I had Nextel at the time, so I don't know if other networks operate differently.)

I just love to share with newbies some of my ideas and suggestions for that first cruise. But remember, you never stop learning. I've been on about 15 cruises and am STILL learning great things from the wonderful folks who post on these message boards.

Take a light-weight sweater or windbreaker (or just a long-sleeve blouse). Even in a warm climate, chilly winds can blow out on the decks and the AC in some places on the ship can be quit cold. Take a small fold-up umbrella & a tote bag to take on shore with you. We got caught in a rain storm in Aruba and were so glad that I had put the umbrella in the tote when we left the ship! I take several little packages of antibacterial wipes to wipe down surfaces in the cabin...like the TV remote, light switches, drawer pulls, bathroom door handle, any surface that has been touched by multiple people before you...better safe than sorry! Put one package in your tote when you go on shore too; you never know what you might want to wipe down while you're out & about. I also take my eye glasses prescription with me, tucked away safely in my wallet. Just in case something happened to my glasses, I would at lease have the information necessary to get new ones made. I've never had to actually use the information, but it's there if needed. Binoculars (small pair) are a great thing to have also. There will be many occasions when you will want to use them from the outside decks. I take a small roll of duct take and scotch tape. It's amazing the uses you'll find for them! When I zip my bag us to check at the airport (or at the pier if not flying) I lock the zipper ends together with an electrical tie. Works great for security, and if your bag is one of the lucky ones chosen for inspection, it's easy for them to cut it off. I take a small bottle of Downy Wrinkle-Release. It's great for getting wrinkles out of some things after being packed in a suitcase.

Someone mentioned about night lights and not being able to find a place to plug them in. I too am a night light user when away from home, and on a cruise ship by far the best thing to do is leave your bathroom light on, close the door, and sufficient light shines beneath the door. Works great!

Hair dryers and shampoo are provided in each cabin so don't waste suitcase space packing these. Seasick medicine is available free at the Purser's desk; all you have to do is ask.

Hope these suggestions are helpful...ave a great cruise!!!!!!

kruzkween

Only buy the one(s) you want. Remember when you are 80 you will wish you had a picture of the younger, better looking you at THIS age.

any craft store sells matte. I've never had a problem with that.

Our cruise was for our honeymoon. We bought one 8x10 to put in a frame that we received as a wedding present and one canvas of the two of us on formal night and had it framed at the craft store when we got back. If your cruise is for a very special occasion I would recommend something similar, we love it!

The other photos we bought are still in the folder they came in (a year and a half later), but we look at the photos we took a LOT!