"I wish I knew before..."

T&Dcruisers

When traveling, I scan all my important documents, passport, visas, prescriptions etc. I keep an extra copy of these items in my luggage and email a set to myself. If I ever loose my passport or any other document all I need to do is get to a computer to recover the information I have lost.

Do not email yourself any important personal docs. Once they're sent, they could be floating around the Internet and hackers may be able to retrieve them. Just take a pic with ur cellphone if u want.

:D

I was thinking back to my first cruise and was about to come up with my list too but then I had another thought, the most important one is

I wished I'd known how great an experience cruising was years ago, so I'd have started sooner!

Do not email yourself any important personal docs. Once they're sent, they could be floating around the Internet and hackers may be able to retrieve them. Just take a pic with ur cellphone if u want.

:D

Cellphones are easier to crack and I don't want my documents in the pics section. I make hard copies in color and keep a set with me and another with a family member at home who can fax or send copies overnight to wherever they need to be. Also allows her the info to cancel credit cards is my purse gets stolen. She's got the phone numbers ( on copies of the cards) and the card numbers.

Thanks for all the tips, I took notes and now will put them into categories like, need to buy, already have, before we leave, while on board, ...

One idea I have to avoid carrying mostly cash (trying to avoid big credit card bill at the end of the cruise) and worrying about finding ATM's and the service charges is to use a preloaded credit/debit card for most of my expenses. I just used one for the first time for my trip to New Orleans and found our how easy it is to use. The only thing is that you have to keep track of how much you use so that you go over the preloaded amount. I got it from my credit union and I can load more money on it with just a phone call.

We are going on our first cruise and CC has been very useful by giving us the useful hints. Thanks again to all!:)

Sorry, double post, thought computer made a mistake.

Thanks for all the tips, I took notes and now will put them into categories like, need to buy, already have, before we leave, while on board, ...

One idea I have to avoid carrying mostly cash (trying to avoid big credit card bill at the end of the cruise) and worrying about finding ATM's and the service charges is to use a preloaded credit/debit card for most of my expenses. I just used one for the first time for my trip to New Orleans and found out how easy it is to use. The only thing is that you have to keep track of how much you use so that you don't go over the preloaded amount. I got it from my credit union and I can load more money on it with just a phone call.

We are going on our first cruise and CC has been very useful by giving us the useful hints. Thanks again to all!:)

Edited by dow cruiser

found out from my cel phone carrier, T-Mobile, that my texts will be 45 cents per text and cant remember the minutes charge because it was outrageous and I immediately dismissed it, but she told me if someone calls me and I let it go to voice mail, I get charged for 1 minute, if I retrieve it, add the cost for the time of checking it! Quick fix, turn off the voice mail feature while on the cruise and use texting! also, I love the duct tape thing, it also replaces the need for a bra on occation! We had an alarm clock in our room on RC Freedom, not sure about the others.....

if someone calls me and I let it go to voice mail, I get charged for 1 minute
My T-Mobile experience (more than 5 years ago in the UK) is that there's a 1-minute charge when your phone rings, and another minute when it forwards from your phone to voicemail. All even if you never check your messages.

The solution might be never to turn on your phone when it would register to the ship's cellular network - OK in port, but turn it off before leaving port.

I love the duct tape thing, it also replaces the need for a bra on occation!
I have an image in my mind that I'm trying to unsee... :eek: :D

for us, we have to leave the phone on, son will not go on this cruise and elderly Mother, so I need to see if they are trying to reach us. they know not to call to chat.....duct tape as a bra is wonderful...except the removal.....sorry, its the hippie/biker thing!

We always book an inside cabin.

Yes, I know that the thrill of having a balcony and lots of room in a cabin is part of the allure of cruising; but, I suggest you first-time - and even experienced - cruisers consider an inside cabin for several reasons.

First, we were able to take a 7-day cruise on the RCI Legend of the Seas, out of Tampa, in December 2009, for $70-per-day-per-person. Try doing that with a balcony cabin. We're averaging 2 cruises using inside cabins for the cost of one cruise with a balcony.

Second, we spend very limited time in our cabins. Other than to change clothes and sleep, we're out and about all day. Between the pools, libraries, classes, ports and lounges, there is so much to do, so many people to meet, so many photo opportunities, why would we spend more time in the cabin?"

I can appreciate your views and reasoning and you have very valid points. However, for my husband and I, we took our first cruise May of 2009 to Alaska and opted for a mini-suite w/balcony as Princess was having a 2-for-1 sale when we booked. We spent so much time on our balcony that it more than paid for the extra little bit that we spent (remember 2-for-1).

We just booked our second cruise to Alaska for May 2011 and booked the exact same room that we had last year. We are paying double $$ for this trip as there wasn't any sale going on when we booked, but it's worth the money to us since we spent almost every sunrise and sunset on the balcony. We are non-drinkers and early risers found this to be the highlight of our cruise at times.

So, my point is, book the balcony if you really think you'll spend a lot of time out there. Otherwise, I'm totally with the booking of an inside room and then you'll eventually get more cruises for your money!

Edited by sesrandall

Great Thread. Here are a few things ( may be dup's).

Insulated Mugs ( cups on Lido are small ).

Bungee cords ( to hold balcony door open ). Love the sounds of the ocean.

Sweater or light jacket ( cold a/c in the dining room and show lounge).

Binoculars ( never leave home without them ).

Carnival also has the detergent for sale in the laundry rooms, but there was no way I was paying $1.75 to $2.00 when I could take my own and not worry about spillage, too.

They had two choices, but the popular one was gone quickly and there was only something called Sun(something) ??

Bungee cords ( to hold balcony door open ). Love the sounds of the ocean.

No offense meant but, it should be known that the cruise lines don't want this done for a reason. Having the doors open for longer periods of time can affect fellow passengers A/C units in the cabins. Please think of your fellow travelers and do NOT follow this tip.

We use lots of zip-locks. We pack undies, toiletries, swimsuits, etc..and even shoes (1-1/2 gallon ones). Reasons: (1) If chosen at airport, they aren't dumping my panties (clean or dirty) on the the table (yes this happened once). When we get into our cabin, we pull out the individual bags, quick wipe of drawers with anti-bac tissue and toss in the bags, and we are unpacked and organized for showering and dressing. Fastest ever for unpacking. (3) Last night/day of cruise, we are ready to toss the zip-locks into the luggage, therefore not wasting my last precious cruise moments separating dirty/clean stuffing suitcase (and refer to #1). (4) pack x-tra baggies for any damp/wet items from pre-cruise hotel swim or last day cruise swim. (5) extra baggies for placing anything you buy so it doesn't get wet if it rains for a long time on your luggage (pictures, maps we bought, Cruise Compasses, etc). We watched in horror as a torrential downpour cascaded over our luggage. Nothing got wet, damaged or ruined. (6) Sunblock/Sunscreen. Don't wait to buy this onboard. It's expensive. We put ours in a baggie to prevent any accident in the luggage. We pack anything possible in zip locks because it saves so much time and grief.Carrying toddlers? Pack each days outfit in a zip lock and your not scrabbling to match everything. Grab a zip lock bag it's coordinated matched and ready to dress the little ones.

We also count out the tip money and put it in envelopes labeled Waiter, Asst. Waiter, Room Steward, etc, throw it in a zip lock and toss it into the cabin's safe. Last day/night not spent trying to get the right amounts, counting it out. We add extra for those that did a great job. We have the pre-paid tips now, but an option that we still use to add the extras.

Get some ones and $5 for tips. You'll be tipping lots on first day and last day to porters, taxis, dock handlers, hotel, etc.

Take a few Clothes Pins. You can get them at the dollar stores. Not all ships have self-serve laundry and I'm on vacation so I'm not spending my cruise there anyway. Rinse the swimsuit out and wear another one the next day while it drys. If you have a balcony cabin, take a couple of clothes pins. YOu can clip the swimsuit to the back of the chair or lounge and after only a few hours, its completely dry. Travel packet of laundry detergent or Woolite can be found at most drug stores (travel size section).

Wear your tight clothes at the beginning of the cruise; loose at the end. Desserts and salt water/air cause clothing to shrink. On the last formal night, it took 3 of us to wrestle my aunt into her cocktail dress and she kept saying, "I don't know what happened..I tried it on the day before we left."

Pack less things like t-shirts. You'll end up buying t-shirts at ports and on the ship that you can incorporate into your wardrobe. Coordinate a color like khaki tan and black that you can wear with several tops. Coordinate shoes like one pair that can be worn on both formal nights. Wear your tennis shoes since they will take up more room in your luggage than a pair of flip flops. Factor in days at sea and days you plan a beach excursion. You'll only need a swimsuit and cover-up (type you can put over swimsuit and go to breakfast or lunch in) or a pair of shorts and t-shirt. This is a great day to repeat with shorts and t-shirt. You can go to breakfast in your swimsuit/cover-up or your shorts and t over swimsuit, head off ship to beach, stick the cover-up or shorts t on and do a little shopping before heading back to the ship.

Water Safe. Works great when headig to the beach. It has room for your SeaPass, credit card, small amount of cash, has a cord to go around your neck and leaves your hand free.

Towels can be taken off ship to beach. Don't pack beach towels.

Air freshener for the bathroom...Seriously....don't leave home without it :eek:

If you are planning to snorkel, at least take the mouthpiece so you aren't having to use theirs (yuck).

READ the Daily compass and know what's going on for the next day and where it's happening.

Change your phone plan if possible. We have AT&T and we've been able to call home on almost every caribbean island without paying roaming charges or anything else. MOST. If you need/want to check back home, this is the best and the cheapest method. My daughter always calls to check on her baby (a miniature doxie).

Go to the dollar store and purchase a poncho. Don't let a little rain ruin a tour and don't purchase one for $10-20 that you'll only wear for a short time one day. They are so small and take up no space in luggage. We've used them on a whale watch, a hike to a waterfall in Kuai.

Don't stress about your hair...as soon as you go outside it will get blown up and look like everyone else's. Carry a tie or clip for your hair. You'll use it after your hair gets blown up from the wind and is sticking to your neck from the sweat.

Don't buy photos every night. Let them take your photo at every opportunity. If it's your first cruise, you'll want some of the photos. Wait until the last night. Sort thru all the photos, pick out the best. Also, they will probably have a special where you buy a few get a few or they throw in a photo of the ship or an album.

Carry a wrap or light sweater in case you get cool in the dining room or theater.

Carry a small pair of binoculars, (especially if you have a balcony cabin) and a cheap, disposable camera for your underwater shots. They work great and you don't have to worry about it getting stolen.

Identify/Personalize your luggage with a BIG, LOUD COLORFUL TAG or BOW. Only put your last name on the Luggage tag and don't put your home address. Last name and See inside if luggage tag allows. Inside we put a copy of our itinerary (that we shrink on copy machine) with our cell-phone number, name of ship, etc. This way if we get separated, it's much easier to find us. We put an 8-1/2 x 11 copy of this information in outside pocket of our luggage (inside on top of clothes if it doesn't have outside pocket). Also a precaution if it's lost. We stay at least one night pre-cruise and it always includes the name of the hotel and the direct phone number for the hotel.

Give emergency contact number of ship and instructions on reaching ship to shore to someone..family, neighbor, babysitter, etc. in case of an emergency. In an emergency don't have someone trying to contact the ship line and find you.

Make sure your airline ticket, passport and cruise reservation have the exact same name (yes, this happened to us too). My Mother used a different spelling of her first name and we had no idea. We had plane reservations under same way it is on her Driver's License (Sybil), got the birth certificate to get her passport and discovered her actual name was SYBELL. Called and ask if this would be a problem and was told YES. Had to take the birth certificate to the DMV and get her Driver's license changed to get her on the plane. She's still angry that the DMV won't change it back to a name she doesn't have.

Walk around and check out the ship. Go get lunch. We always say, "Ahhhh...home again. What's for lunch" when we enter the Windjammer.

Even if you have a balcony, go up on the pool deck, buy a frozen drink and enjoy the music and fun at Sail Away....Nothing like it when you see the ship sliding away from the pier....have a great cruise.