Tell me about your experience with Captain Marvin's

Phishinyem

We're doing the 10 day panama canal on the Coral leaving april 7th and have heard great things about Captain Marvin's. We're going with my mom, and she usuall ybooks everything through the ship because she doesn't trust anything else. can you tell me about the experience you've had with captain marvins (we want to do the full day tour).. good or bad?

thanks!

I assume you mean Captain Marvins in Grand Cayman? We did a half day tour last march. It was great. I reserved over the internet before hand, got off the ship and walked to the office and paid. The boats were very much less crowed than the ship tour boats, and we had a great guide. It cost about a quarter of what the ship tour cost was. Would book with them again in a minute.

We used Captain Marvin's 11/03 and will do so again. They were much less coastly and they take smaller groups than the ship. We booked the half day tour. The sea was kinda ruff that day. When we checked in they offered us a shorter, earlier trip and would refund the difference or wait for our trip which might have to be canceled. We got back to the ship and when asked what we did, we found the ship tours had been canceled. We were very, very happy with Captain Marvin.

I agree with the posters above. Very friendly and informative, far less crowded than the ship excursions, priced less and you don't pay until you are there so if for some reason your ship doesn't make, it's okay - you don't owe anything (I know with some private companies you have to pay ahead).

Captain Marvin's? Used them twice.

The first time we used Captain Marvin's, I was so happy that I did! When we got out to the Stingray City area, there were boats out there just stuffed with people!! Captain Marvin only takes out small groups and they are most accomodating! Our cruise ship was going to be late, but they knew this and there was NO problem. We booked them again this past June. I had a group of 15, so we chartered our own for the same price that we would've normally paid as individuals!! Our group was most happy! They teach snorkeling to rookies and give refreshers to those who aren't. You will be in for a great time. Say hi to the stingrays for us!!:D

We had a great experience with Captain Marvins and were VERY glad that we did not book with the ships tour. THe tour lengths may look the same but they are not. In our case, the ships tour took people by boat around the island to Stinkray City. This took 45 min each way-a total of 1.5 hrs just getting to the right spot. There were about 150 people on the boat. On the Captain Marvins trip, you cross the island by car/truck and then get on the water. We were at Stingray city in less than 10 minutes. We were a party of 8, there was one other couple making the total 10 people. THe guide was wonderful. He took us to three spots, including Stingray City (where he held up the stingrays for my daugher) and had bait to attract fish. The boat was clean, the gear was clean and in great condition. We did see the ships tour. Looked like 150 lemmings jumping into the water. We had personal attention. Three in our group had never snorkeled...again the tour guide was extremely helpful. It could not have been better. We compared notes with tablemates who had taken the ships tour (Mercury)...absolutely no comparison. I seem to recall that there was a substantial price savings as well but this was just a bonus. HIGHLY recommend Captain Marvins and have sent many friends there since. They have all returned with very positive stories.

I should add that I am very predisposed to use the local tour companies vs the Cruise Line tours. My premier reason is that all of the money goes directly to the locals. I have found that most of them are much better and less crowed though I guess it depends on the type of excursion. I have been told that the cruise lines are taking anywhere from 33-50 percent right off the top for their trouble. When they deal with the locals of course, they beat them down to the lowest possible wholesale rate. Having said that there are times when we do take the ship's excursions because of time issues. Most of our best experiences have been from walking off the ship and picking a local tour guide.

We used Sotos..were very happy some similar experiences..our tour went out when the shipps were cancelled. We booked online, didn't pay until ready to board the boat. Nice tour, 3 stops, fresh drinks and head on the boat. Small group both people off other ships as well as some staying on the Island.

However you go you will never forget the experience of swimming with the rays. :D

I just used Captain Marvin's for the second time and still think they are great. We booked with them about 2 years ago when we visited GC on the Carnival Conquest and really liked them. We were just in GC on the Coral Princess and booked with them again. They were also great this time. We visited Stingray City and were the only boat there. The cruise ships cancelled their excursions to Stingray City as they felt that the waters were too rough. We did not have any problems with the water and had a great time. I did not go on the Hell/Turtle farm tour with them this time but our friends did and enjoyed it. I would definitely recommend Captain Marvins.

We've used Captain Marvin's and LOVED it! When my girlfriends cruise got switched last minute on the Caribbean Princess this summer from the eastern to the western due to the hurricanes, I made their arrangements for them. I e mailed Captain Marvin's and explained the situation. They gladly made the reservation for them without a credit card as I couldn't get that from our friends since she didn't want to send it in an email to me. Ruth from Captain Marvins went out of her way and our friends had the best of times. I wouldn't hesitate to go with them again or recommend them to more of our friends.

Archived