Tipping and My Time Dining

I wonder how the wait staff feel about MTD and gratuities? I would certainly think they'll be making less if people opt for MTD (which I have done and prepaid the required gratuities). Normally, during an assigned seating cruise I always give my asigned staff extra gratuities at the end of the sailing, however, now that MTD has started and I like the convenience of dining where and when I want I probably will not be seeing the same servers more than once possibly and I am certainly not running around at the end of the cruise looking for this one and that one and whoever from one dining room to another. Anyway, was just thinking I wonder how RCCL is handling possible less gratuity for the staff. Anyone know anything about this? Thanks. May 8th is the date! Can't wait!

I wonder how the wait staff feel about MTD and gratuities? I would certainly think they'll be making less if people opt for MTD (which I have done and prepaid the required gratuities). Normally, during an assigned seating cruise I always give my asigned staff extra gratuities at the end of the sailing, however, now that MTD has started and I like the convenience of dining where and when I want I probably will not be seeing the same servers more than once possibly and I am certainly not running around at the end of the cruise looking for this one and that one and whoever from one dining room to another. Anyway, was just thinking I wonder how RCCL is handling possible less gratuity for the staff. Anyone know anything about this? Thanks. May 8th is the date! Can't wait!

One idea is that if you get a particularly good waiter one night, you can request them the next night. Or, you could tip him/her when you leave the evening you dine. Maybe they are willing to exchange the certainty of guaranteed tips for the potential loss in revenue.

We've had the same service team and same table each night with MTD. We loved it. We still gave additional gratuities at the end, since the wait staff were so great. Lloyd, Christine, Bijou and Kevin were outstanding on the Serenade in January!

Hopefully the same will hold true for the service staff on Oasis, since we signed up for MTD again.

Eric

For everyone like you who tips an additional amount, there are always those who don't show up the last night of the cruise to avoid tipping at all. We have all seen the empty seats in the dining room.

The waiters are probably just as happy knowing that all of their tips are guaranteed and prepaid.

My Tony and I always tip extra even though we pre-pay the gratuities. I was a waitress in my younger years and I know how hard it is to please people who are just looking, "TO BE SERVED"! They can be intolerable, but you just have to do your job with a great attitude and a smile. I just hope the people who appreciate all they do, give them the respect they deserve.

What is the per day charge for prepaid gratuities?

Woody

So that you can thank those who have made your cruise vacation better than you could have imagined, we've developed these gratuity guidelines:

Suite attendant: $5.75 USD a day per guest

Stateroom attendant: $3.50 USD a day per guest

Dining Room Waiter: $3.50 USD a day per guest

Assistant Waiter: $2.00 USD a day per guest

Headwaiter: $.75 USD a day per guest

Note: These gratuities apply to guests of all ages.

Gratuities for other service personnel are at your discretion. A 15% gratuity will automatically be added to your bar bill or wine check when you are served.

Envelopes for gratuities will be provided in your stateroom on the last night of the cruise. Gratuities may be paid in the following ways:

Pre paid by having them added to your reservation by your booking agent.

Added to your onboard SeaPass account.

Paid in cash at the end of the cruise

When we signed up for MTD we were told that gratuities would be automatically taken from our Seapass charge card up front for the entire cruise. Guess that's a good idea. We intend to tender further tips for any special staff.

If you sign up for MTD before your cruise the charges are added when you make your final payment -- not on board.

###

If you sign up for MTD before your cruise the charges are added when you make your final payment -- not on board.

We will have onboard credits, and planned to apply them to the gratuities.

Upon embarkation, can we request MTD and charge the gratuities to our shipboard account?

Woody

I understand you can do this but MTD is becoming popular and you may find that is already fully booked once you board. My Time tables are in one area in the main dining room and are not unlimited. We tried it, loved it and will never go back to trad dining again. We are also about to try Select Dining on X.

Archived