Is there river cruising in US?

okbookgirl

I know that there use to be a small one that did the Mississippi, but they seem to have gone out of buisness. Anyone know of any currently operating companies?

ACCL operates a couple of trips a year between Chicago and New Orleans using several different rivers and the Tennessee-Tombigbee Waterway. Cruise West and Lindblad Expeditions ply the Columbia and Snake rivers and American Cruise Line explores the Hudson in the fall. St. Lawrence Cruise Lines sail the St. Lawrence calling mostly but not entirely on the Canadian side.

Steamboats cruises frequently on the rivers in the U.S.We live near Paducak Ky and we often see the Delta Queen and the American Queen on the Ohio and Tennessee River. They are paddle wheelers and really neat to see.I love the music of the caliope.I think it is The Delta Queen that was just retired and is now a hotel.Steamboats knows all about river cruising in the U.S. and I am sure she will be along to answer your questions.

Currently there are no companies operating on the Mississippi and Ohio rivers on a regular basis. Only ACCL offers - I think - one cruise in that area.

Besides ACCL there´s still Cruise West operating on the Columbia, Willamette and Snake rivers.

But that´s it currently regarding overnight cruises on US rivers.

There are some local excursion boats which are offering overnight trips, like the Spirit of Peoria (out of Peoria, IL) or the Belle of Cincinnati (out of Newport, KY). But on those trips you´re staying in hotels at night and cruise during the day (no cabins on the boats).

steamboats

Thanks guys, I was hitting a road block with net searches. I'll use some of the boats and lines you mentioned to do more specific searches. I have some family members who are leary of the concept of cruising on the big ole ocean. I thought I might try to break them in on a river. We've done half day and lunch cruises before so I thought to give overnight on the river a try.

Archived