RCI 1st Timer, Carnival Vet, Thoughts on Monarch of the Seas

Got back from my Monarch of the Seas 4 Day Bahamas Cruise. I had never been on RCI before so was looking forward to comparing. This was a last minute, Florida Resident rate, very good price. (only $22 Single Supplement)

-Ship was "nice". You could tell it was older and had been several years since the last dry dock. However, for a short cruise it was more than adequate. Similiar to my impression of Sensation but with more of a subdued/traditional look as opposed to your normal Carnival ship.

-Staff was overall very friendly and seemed glad to have you aboard.

-Lido (Windjammer) was an A- to Carnivals B+.

-Pizza was really bad, had better in Grade School Cafeteria.

-No Deli

-MDR was similiar to Carnival, only went one night.

-Room service was prompt and very good. ($3.95 fee between midnight and 5am)

-Production shows were adequate at best. I really enjoy the production shows and Carnival/Princess/HAL all had better.

-Two comedians were good.

-Orchestra/Live Music was very good.

-Photographers were less in your face. Did not see any in MDR.

-Activities/Other Cruise Staff Events were plentiful and good. (Quest/Love n Marriage Show)

-Cruise director was overall good. Was there at the appropriate events and saw him once or twice out and about.

-Ocean View (port hole) cabin was fine, very small (120ish sf) but fine for a solo trip.

-Smelled sewer smell a couple of times on lower decks but nothing to strong and I sort of expect it on the older ships.

Still would look to Carnival first but would go back on RC for the right price.

I would have to say that your review is about the same as my feelings about Royal Caribbean and Carnival. Right now Royal is giving the better deals for singles since Carnival will only give singles a break with a category 1A cabin in most cases. But this is a recent development as I found in the past the Carnival 1A deals better than anything Royal would offer to a single. I would, however, say that I felt it was time for a break from Carnival. The nightly mdr staff performances were getting very tiring, especially when the maitre d' was just too loud and annoying and the waitstaff interrupted serving in order to "perform." I also found the menu to be the same old same old.

Cruised on Monarch for New Years 2008. Very small cabins but the friendliest crew that we've ever had! (6 cruises, I know, I know, not a huge sample but enough to offer an opinion on service).

Haven't tried Carnival yet. One on Princess, one on NCL, the rest on RC.

I think a typical Monarch review but Monarch NOT really typical Royal anymore. Aside from Majesty all ships are newer/bigger with much more modern, well, everything. SO before a real judge of Royal can be made should probably try a Radiance or Voyager or Freedom class... But I'm happy to go on Monarch for a short cruise...heck I'm happy to go on just about any ship for a few days!!

I think a typical Monarch review but Monarch NOT really typical Royal anymore. Aside from Majesty all ships are newer/bigger with much more modern, well, everything. SO before a real judge of Royal can be made should probably try a Radiance or Voyager or Freedom class... But I'm happy to go on Monarch for a short cruise...heck I'm happy to go on just about any ship for a few days!!

I agree that the Sovereign class is very different from all the other ships in the fleet.

But just as there is no bad pizza, there are no bad cruises either!

Carnival Pride

Carnival Glory

Carnival Triumph

HAL Zuiderdam

Crown Princess

Carnival Splendor

Carnival Sensation

Star Princess

I know not to judge the whole fleet based on Monarch. I have a good time on EVERY cruise. I shop on price first as I would rather have 14 good days on a cruise than 7 excellent.

Carnival Pride

Carnival Glory

Carnival Triumph

HAL Zuiderdam

Crown Princess

Carnival Splendor

Carnival Sensation

Star Princess

I know not to judge the whole fleet based on Monarch. I have a good time on EVERY cruise. I shop on price first as I would rather have 14 good days on a cruise than 7 excellent.

Ah...I see you DO understand....well I suspect when you find a deal on a Radiance or Freedom or Voyager class ship you will like Royal even more!!!:):D

Archived