Passport Requirement Update Please!

F5Loar

Okay I went down 6 pages and didn't find anyone talking about Passport requirements so no need to do a search as information would be old by now. I know in the past the topic was a touchy one but I've got some first time cruisers who likely will not go again(my guess not theirs) and thinking of doing Nassua and Freeport both ports in Bahamas. My TA says no need as of today to have a passport for those ports. Yeah I know it's better to have them and I have mine but my friends will likely never use them again so really a big expense to them. My question is what is the current status of passports and cruising? I remember Bush was hot on getting it changed to everyone must have one going outside USA and now it seems Obama not so hot on the issue as he has his hands full on more important issues. Has there been any news about an upcoming change down the pike on this passport requirement?

Any set date for change? I'm looking at a year from now.

As of right now for a closed loop cruise, meaning you leave and return to the same port you only need a certified birth certificate and a photo id like your license. There are no plans to change it in the near future but you should keep an eye out just in case.

Okay I went down 6 pages and didn't find anyone talking about Passport requirements so no need to do a search as information would be old by now. I know in the past the topic was a touchy one but I've got some first time cruisers who likely will not go again(my guess not theirs) and thinking of doing Nassua and Freeport both ports in Bahamas. My TA says no need as of today to have a passport for those ports. Yeah I know it's better to have them and I have mine but my friends will likely never use them again so really a big expense to them. My question is what is the current status of passports and cruising? I remember Bush was hot on getting it changed to everyone must have one going outside USA and now it seems Obama not so hot on the issue as he has his hands full on more important issues. Has there been any news about an upcoming change down the pike on this passport requirement?

Any set date for change? I'm looking at a year from now.

Provided your friends are US Citizens and the cruise departs from and returns to the same US port then they need a government issued photo ID and a birth certificate.

We did AK in Aug and stopped in Victoria and when we came back my son did not have a passport and he got a letter of non compliance that he needed a passport or passport card even though we were told diffent.

Here is the real poop from the state department:

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cbpmc/cbpmc_2223.html

Please be aware that you must have a valid US passport to enter Belize or Raotan as they are not part of the Western Hemisphere Travel Inititave. The cruise line will not let you embark on a cruise to these destinations without a passport.

Thanks this was helpful but also confusing. While they mentioned the "closed loop" exception they didn't really detail it. Then they mention this which really confuses things:

"Starting June 1, 2009, all travelers must present Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI) compliant document such as a passport or a passport card for entry or re-entry to the U.S. Sea travelers should also check with their cruise line and countries of destination for any foreign entry requirements. "

What the heck is a WHTI document and is that part of the closed loop for cruises?

Thanks this was helpful but also confusing. While they mentioned the "closed loop" exception they didn't really detail it. Then they mention this which really confuses things:

"Starting June 1, 2009, all travelers must present Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI) compliant document such as a passport or a passport card for entry or re-entry to the U.S. Sea travelers should also check with their cruise line and countries of destination for any foreign entry requirements. "

What the heck is a WHTI document and is that part of the closed loop for cruises?

that's why it's easier to just get the passport. in the end do you really want to end up somewhere and not have the right paperwork? i would try reasoning with your travel companions, it's $100 for the passport and it's valid for 10 years. it's $45 for the passport card, but i'm not sure what that is for so you would have to check on that. even if they never go anywhere again they have a backup form of ID.

My last cruise was a closed loop cruise. It was NY to Bermuda and back to NY. I don't know if we had stopped somewhere in the US on the way back or there if it still would have been considered a closed loop cruise.

It's definitely not closed loop if you visit a non WHTI country. You would probably get the best information by calling the State Department.

We just decided to get passports even though we didn't need them. The regs change constantly and they are the perfect ID. I had a passport in the early 90's and was glad I did. I had a chance to visit the UK on short notice and was able to do it.

Our town has a One Stop Passport Department and while it cost a little more, it was easy as pie.

The closed loop travel exception is just that, an exception. DHS determined that the odds of a terrorist boarding a cruise ship in, say, Miami, going on a cruise and coming back into Miami is like, really slight. Remember, that is the whole idea behind the new travel restrictions- it's to positively identify travelers entering the US. With all due respect to the State Department it isn't going to be a State Department employee that meets you at debarkation, it's going to be a CBP officer who works for DHS. Closed loop is leaving one US city and returning to the same city, it doesn't matter if there is an intermittent stop in another US city or not. Basically if the cruise line's website allows you to register on-line without entering your passport information then the cruise in all liklihood meets the closed loop exception.

Did anyone see this? I can't think of any thing else that you would need to up date 6-9 months before it expires. Shouldn't your passport be good right up until your expiration date?

The Issue Date of your passport can be found on the data page of your Passport Book or on the front of your Passport Card.

If possible, you should renew your passport approximately nine (9) months before it expires. Some countries require that your passport be valid at least six (6) months beyond the dates of your trip. Some airlines will not allow you to board if this requirement is not met.

So in reality your expiration date is 6 months before the date it is to expire and you should renew 9 months before that time and allow 3 months for them to get it back to you. Sounds like more of that govenerment red tape. I thought you could get a renewal back in 4 to 6 weeks.

So in reality your expiration date is 6 months before the date it is to expire and you should renew 9 months before that time and allow 3 months for them to get it back to you. Sounds like more of that govenerment red tape. I thought you could get a renewal back in 4 to 6 weeks.

Oh Government red tape.

I always thought it was because when you arrive in some countries the IO stamps a tourist visa in your passport that's good for a certain amount of time. For example, as an American you can stay in the UK as a tourist for 6 months so I doubt they would allow you entry if your passport expired in a month. You probably would find yourself on the next plane back to the states.

Archived