Atlantis Med 2010 Venice - Athens; August 16 2010 (Celebrity Equinox)

relo

When I checked the Atlantis website today, they had updated the info on the available cabins for this cruise. Many more "sold out" and "limited" categories than last week. So, perhaps Rich's prognostication is correct - it may well be close to a full ship by sailing time.

Good!

Now I've got to book the Athens post-cruise hotel. The Alum site says it's a "Fire Sale" for hotels in Athens due to the bad economic press the country's been getting lately. I'll soon find out. :rolleyes:

See you guys on board. :)

Anyone have any good suggestions or deals for places to stay in Athens? We plan on only staying one night before heading to Germany.

So far we have been looking at the Hilton and Athens Gate hotel

We will be on the Athens-Barcelona cruise. We will be staying at the Parthenon Hotel - right at the base of the Acropolis. From what I've learned from those who have already been to Athens, this is a good hotel and an EXCELLENT location for a single day of sight seeing. Hope that helps.

We will be on the Athens-Barcelona cruise. We will be staying at the Parthenon Hotel - right at the base of the Acropolis. From what I've learned from those who have already been to Athens, this is a good hotel and an EXCELLENT location for a single day of sight seeing. Hope that helps.

Just booked the Parthenon, too. The website is www.airotel.gr and the link at the top of the home page is the Parthenon Hotel.

It's not the luxe of the Hilton, but it's much cheaper and much more convenient to the main attractions.

Maybe we'll see you there. :)

Just booked the Parthenon, too. The website is www.airotel.gr and the link at the top of the home page is the Parthenon Hotel.

It's not the luxe of the Hilton, but it's much cheaper and much more convenient to the main attractions.

Maybe we'll see you there. :)

Who knows. We could be checking out when you check in. I'll tell you what - if Philip and I have a GOOD room, we'll suggest to the front desk that they put your name on it.

Not sure yet what our schedule will be that day. But we do plan to do the Acropolis, the new museum, then head to the ship. It would be fun to connect with other Atlantis cruisers while in Athens.

Atlantis has put the hotel addons on their site http://www.atlantisevents.com/cruise...ce_addons.aspx

Although the Venice hotels look very nice, we will stick with our original bookings. 1 night at the Rialto Hotel in Venice and 2 nights at the Airotel Parthenon.

The only advantage I can see with the Atlantis hotels is the transfer offered.

The Atlantis rooms at the Hilton in Venice seem a bit steep - $379 for breakfast and transfer vs the cheapest pre-pay on the Hilton site itself for €218 (which equates to around $270 with the now very weak euro). Hmmm.

We've already booked the Hilton anyway so it doesn't matter so much for us, but it looks like Atlantis have overlaid a hefty premium.

• 2 weeks later...

I was on the Solstice in March and they confiscated alcohol from the checked baggage and from the carry ons. I had a bottle of stuff that you spray on your clothes to elimate smoke smells and they even opened that smelled it. The woman also took the bottle of water I had and shoved her nose in it. She then gave it back to me and told her I didn't want it after she shoved her nose in it but I was the one who had to throw it away.

They were not easy on us just because we were a charter. On the other hand, Celebrity did offer the alcohol packages which really lowered out bill at the end of the week.

I haven't been on CC for awhile and I guess I'm starting to get more excited about the trip. Is it actually only 73 days away????

My roommate and I will be on this cruise as well, and we are staying in Athens until the following Sunday. We managed to book the Hilton for $100/night (with breakfast), and it is about 2 miles away from the Acropolis, so not to bad at all. We booked it on Priceline. Hotels in Athens are actuallt pretty cheap right now (compared to what they used to be). TripAdvisor is a great resource for checking into hotels, especially in Athens as some of the areas can be seedy.

I have been in Paris in the last weekend of August about 10 years ago and I don't remember it being dead. I don't know about the nightlife because we went with my mother and sister in law :rolleyes:

Now we canceled the Athens-Barcelona cruise we decided that we are going to stay a little longer in Athens (2 nights) but I find it very difficult to find a hotel with reasonable prices in a good neighborhood. Can anybody recommend a (gay friendly) hotel with preferably a triple room.

My roommate and I will be on this cruise as well, and we are staying in Athens until the following Sunday. We managed to book the Hilton for $100/night (with breakfast), and it is about 2 miles away from the Acropolis, so not to bad at all. We booked it on Priceline. Hotels in Athens are actuallt pretty cheap right now (compared to what they used to be). TripAdvisor is a great resource for checking into hotels, especially in Athens as some of the areas can be seedy.

We are staying in the Airotel Acropolis Hotel prior to the Athens-Barcelona Cruise. It is a reasonable cost and only about 2 minutes from the Acropolis and the new Acropolis Museum. I've heard of others from both cruises who will be staying there as pre- or post-cruise depending on the cruise.

Just checked the Atlantis website and they've updated the Pricing link for this cruise. It now shows many more Sold Out and Limited cabin categories. There's still some marked Available, but I'm guessing we'll sail with 2,000+ folks. Not bad, I'd say, and worth looking forward to. ;)

I depart for Venice 10 weeks from today. Starting a Personal Trainer program tomorrow in preparation! :eek:

See you guys soon.

• 3 weeks later...

First time on an exclusive cruise (just my second, total), first time to Europe, first time posting here, hence the log-in handle. If you were thinking of something else, this is not the proper forum! :D

Excited and anxious here. Glad I found this forum. I will be travelling singly, and it will be great to communicate with fellow cruisers beforehand.

I haven't made my pre and post cruise arrangements, so the feedbacks here are helping me a lot!

-Ray:cool:

I've been glued to my laptop the past few days, trying to find my best options, and I've read this whole thread twice already! :D

Staying 2 days pre and 2 days post cruise. No hotel booked yet, but the Airotel Parthenon in Athens sounds nice. Any suggestions about a place in Venice? :confused:

Staying 2 days pre and 2 days post cruise. No hotel booked yet, but the Airotel Parthenon in Athens sounds nice. Any suggestions about a place in Venice? :confused:

the Atlantis pre-cruise hotel package. It's usually a little expensive, but includes transfer to the ship - which might be worthwhile if you're a "virgin" to Venice and embarkation on large cruise ships. Just a thought, buddy.

See you onboard in about 7 weeks. :)

Thanks for the input Gary! Haven't checked the Atlantis page lately, but I'll definitely check their pre-cruise package. I'm totally new to getting around a place without a car. I can walk, but I can't swim, LOL! :D

Is it just 7 weeks? Wow! Hope to meet you onboard too! :cool:

-Ray

Yes, do check out the Atlantis website for this cruise. There's a tab for Pre-cruise/Post-cruise packages.

BTW, post-cruise I'm booked into the Airotel Parthenon in Athens, too, with my cabin buddy from Houston. Looks decent and is definitely in a convenient location.

Cheers! ;)

Hi Gary,

I've checked the pre-cruise package, just not sure if I need to book through Atlantis, or directly with the hotel.

I will most likely book with Airotel Parthenon also, primarily because of the location. I'd be glad to join your company in touring Athens, unless you have other plans. :)

-Ray

Hi Gary,

I've checked the pre-cruise package, just not sure if I need to book through Atlantis, or directly with the hotel.

I will most likely book with Airotel Parthenon also, primarily because of the location. I'd be glad to join your company in touring Athens, unless you have other plans. :)

-Ray

If you want the Venice hotel-to-Equinox transfer, you definitely have to book the package through Atlantis. But, really, the piers for the large cruise ships is not that difficult to reach - especially if you ask the hotel concierge for help. So check out Atlantis's Venice hotel prices on-line - you may get a better rate. BTW, Atlantis usually does a pre-cruise, no-host cocktail party at their host hotel the night before departure. So, look for info on that on the website or via e-mail from Atlantis.

As to the Parthenon Hotel in Athens - sure, you're welcome to join me and my buddy from Houston on our sightseeing adventures. I've been to Athens before and am only staying 2 days post-cruise (mainly to visit the new museum at the base of the Acropolis - very near the Parthenon Hotel). My travel buddy is staying 4 days in Athens since he's not been there before.

We'll have to set-up a "meet and greet" date so we can connect either pre-cruise or onboard.

Count down the days, Ray.

BTW, I was just in LA a couple of weekends ago for a long weekend. Had fun in Venice Beach, the Hollywood Bowl (for the Playboy Jazz Fesitval), the Getty Villa in Malibu, and shopping in Santa Monica.

Happy cruising! :)

If you want the Venice hotel-to-Equinox transfer, you definitely have to book the package through Atlantis. But, really, the piers for the large cruise ships is not that difficult to reach - especially if you ask the hotel concierge for help. So check out Atlantis's Venice hotel prices on-line - you may get a better rate. BTW, Atlantis usually does a pre-cruise, no-host cocktail party at their host hotel the night before departure. So, look for info on that on the website or via e-mail from Atlantis.

As to the Parthenon Hotel in Athens - sure, you're welcome to join me and my buddy from Houston on our sightseeing adventures. I've been to Athens before and am only staying 2 days post-cruise (mainly to visit the new museum at the base of the Acropolis - very near the Parthenon Hotel). My travel buddy is staying 4 days in Athens since he's not been there before.

We'll have to set-up a "meet and greet" date so we can connect either pre-cruise or onboard.

Count down the days, Ray.

BTW, I was just in LA a couple of weekends ago for a long weekend. Had fun in Venice Beach, the Hollywood Bowl (for the Playboy Jazz Fesitval), the Getty Villa in Malibu, and shopping in Santa Monica.

Happy cruising! :)

I'm not too sold about the 2 pre-cruise hotels that Atlantis offers, so yes, I'll probably just keep looking. My primary concern is location. BTW, where are you booked in Venice? Wonder where the pre-cruise cocktail will be. :confused:

Thanks for being so accomodating! It will be nice to go around with someone who's been there before. I am staying for two days also in Athens.

A meet and greet will be cool. As to where and when, maybe we could figure that out as the day gets closer.

Wow, I missed you by 2 weeks then! I live about 20 miles east of L.A., but work downtown.

Hope you had a relaxing weekend Gary, as well as all the cruisers! :p

-Ray

I'm not too sold about the 2 pre-cruise hotels that Atlantis offers, so yes, I'll probably just keep looking. My primary concern is location. BTW, where are you booked in Venice? Wonder where the pre-cruise cocktail will be. :confused:

-Ray

Ray, I agree if you're a Venice first-timer then the island that the Hilton is on is not the best. Have a look at the (small) map on http://www.hotelenthusiast.com/winter/Venice/veniceintro.php

To go anywhere touristy from the Hilton requires a boat of some form (water taxi/shuttle/etc). We've been to Venice a couple of times before but never visited La Giudecca so quite liked the idea of the Hilton. Last time we stayed in the Cannaregio West area and that was a (relative) hike to any of the tourist spots. San Marco or San Polo are the best spots for first timers and you can walk everywhere from there.

Gavin

Did anyone else get that email from Atlantis and start wondering "Should I do a back to back?" It's an amazing deal, 2 for 1 cabins! I would love to do it but the second leg of the trip doesn't really appeal to me. Would love to go to Israel but that's about it.

We're only spending one night in Athens then heading off to Rome for a few days. Really looking foward to getting away!

BTW, where are you booked in Venice?

-Ray

Ray, we're staying just outside Venice at a town called Mestre. It's a very short train ride (almost like a subway-length ride) into Venice and about 1/2 the cost of a Venetian hotel room. Also, I think we're close to the embarkation pier. Since we've both been to Venice before, it wasn't that important to us to actually be staying there for the 2 pre-cruise nights.

I don't know whether Atlantis will have its Cocktail Party at the Hilton or another site. For those who've sailed with Atlantis out of Venice before, any comments from that previous experience? :confused:

Once you've booked your Venice (or close-by) hotel, let us know, Ray.

Good luck. ;)

Ray, I agree if you're a Venice first-timer then the island that the Hilton is on is not the best. Have a look at the (small) map on http://www.hotelenthusiast.com/winter/Venice/veniceintro.php

To go anywhere touristy from the Hilton requires a boat of some form (water taxi/shuttle/etc). We've been to Venice a couple of times before but never visited La Giudecca so quite liked the idea of the Hilton. Last time we stayed in the Cannaregio West area and that was a (relative) hike to any of the tourist spots. San Marco or San Polo are the best spots for first timers and you can walk everywhere from there.

Gavin

Thanks for all the input Gavin! A hotel in San Marco is definitely a prime consideration. I don't mind all the walking, but yeah, trying to avoid the multiple boat rides. Is it true that the canals kinda smell during the hot days? :eek:

I appreciate all the replies from the friendly cruisers here! If everyone on the cruise are as friendly as you, then I'm in for a good time. :) Thanks guys!!

-Ray :cool:

Ray, we're staying just outside Venice at a town called Mestre. It's a very short train ride (almost like a subway-length ride) into Venice and about 1/2 the cost of a Venetian hotel room. Also, I think we're close to the embarkation pier. Since we've both been to Venice before, it wasn't that important to us to actually be staying there for the 2 pre-cruise nights.

I don't know whether Atlantis will have its Cocktail Party at the Hilton or another site. For those who've sailed with Atlantis out of Venice before, any comments from that previous experience? :confused:

Once you've booked your Venice (or close-by) hotel, let us know, Ray.

Good luck. ;)

Hi Gary!

Haven't booked a pre-cruise hotel yet. I might end up just sleeping in the airport with all the dizzying choice! :p So it's much cheaper at Mestre? Hmmmmm :confused:

I'll definitely let you know where I'm finally staying.

Have a great week ahead man! I'm out-of-town for work somewhere in the Eastern Sierras until Wednesday. Thank God for WiFi!

-Ray :)

Archived