Atlantis Med 2010 Venice - Athens; August 16 2010 (Celebrity Equinox)

relo

We are staying at the Rialto Hotel in Venice, arriving Sunday around 1pm. We choose this hotel based on a good review from a colleague and the central location. Probably take a watertaxi from the airport to the hotel and from the hotel to the port. It is a little more expensive, but we reckon it is quicker and easier with the suitcases.

Busy with looking at the options for our port days. We have decided that it is a vacation and we don't have to do and see it all in one day. We can always go back to the place(s) we liked. In most places we probably go sightseeing, have lunch and/or a glass of wine at a terrace in the town (Corfu, Dubrovnik, Mykonos). And of course enjoying the night life in Mykonos :)

In Santorini I would like to go to Oia, but that depends on how busy the busses are (maybe we book a shiptour here).

For Istanbul I have booked a full day private tour on Friday. Not sure yet about the night life here.

In Athene we will stay at the Airotel Parthenon, mainly because of the location and the reviews on tripadvisor. It looks like a popular hotel as I see it mentioned several times in this thread. We will stay there for two nights. The first day we will probably visit the main attractions. On the second day I have booked a private tour to Delphi. Our flight to Amsterdam on Thursday will depart at 16:00 so we have some time in the morning to visit other attractions.

Anybody else already have plans for the different ports?

It's our first cruise so we definitely want to experience all the ship has to offer as much as possible. Including the different restaurants and bars. We hope that the drink packages will also be available on our cruise, does anybody knows if these are available on a charter?

Now just waiting till Atlantis releases the schedules with the party themes.

Ray,

our hotel is next to the Mestre train station. After some logistics research I discovered an airport bus that makes a "hotel loop" from the Venice airport through Mestre. The Mestre train station is a main stop on this bus route. According to tripadvisor.com and orbitz.com, there are 2 highly rated hotels next to the Mestre train station. These hotels are about half the cost of staying in Venice. One is the Tritone and the other is the Best Western. The Best Western looks very nice in a "boutique" style. .... although the Atlantis host hotel in Mestre looks nice too, I did not know about it when I booked this. From a map, the host hotel is not far from the Mestre train station either. ... With 2500+ gay men in town fo the cruise, you are bound to run into Atlantis travelers where ever you choose to stay.

six weeks and counting .....

Ray,

our hotel is next to the Mestre train station. After some logistics research I discovered an airport bus that makes a "hotel loop" from the Venice airport through Mestre. The Mestre train station is a main stop on this bus route. According to tripadvisor.com and orbitz.com, there are 2 highly rated hotels next to the Mestre train station. These hotels are about half the cost of staying in Venice. One is the Tritone and the other is the Best Western. The Best Western looks very nice in a "boutique" style. .... although the Atlantis host hotel in Mestre looks nice too, I did not know about it when I booked this. From a map, the host hotel is not far from the Mestre train station either. ... With 2500+ gay men in town fo the cruise, you are bound to run into Atlantis travelers where ever you choose to stay.

six weeks and counting .....

Hi Chester!

I would most likely book a hotel in San Marco, or anywhere close to it. It would be my first time in Venice, and I'd like to stay as close to the tourist center as much as possible. I'm eyeing Palazzo Salvadego, an annex of Hotel Monaco. Price is quite reasonable and I've read favorable reviews about it.

I found out someone's celebrating his birthday on our embarkation day! :D What a day to celebrate, huh? Well, if I don't bump into you in Venice or on the first day of the cruise, enjoy your special day! :)

-Ray :cool:

If you guys want to get a good "flavor" of Venice before arrival and like good "summer reads," get a copy of The City of Falling Angels by John Berendt. He also wrote Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil.

While this is non-fiction and recounts the local reaction of Venetians after the destructive burning in 1996 of Venice's legendary opera house, Fenice Opera House, it reads like fiction. And it's a great way to acquaint yourself with Venice: its georgraphy and its residents.

Highly recommended.

About 5 weeks and counting, guys. :)

I know the party details have yet to be released but as we are somewhat new to cruising and Atlantis Events does anyone have any suggestions of what to pack and what not too?

I am sure there are items that people have learned the hard way not to leave at home or pick up before embarking!

Ray, we're staying just outside Venice at a town called Mestre. It's a very short train ride (almost like a subway-length ride) into Venice and about 1/2 the cost of a Venetian hotel room. Also, I think we're close to the embarkation pier. Since we've both been to Venice before, it wasn't that important to us to actually be staying there for the 2 pre-cruise nights.

I don't know whether Atlantis will have its Cocktail Party at the Hilton or another site. For those who've sailed with Atlantis out of Venice before, any comments from that previous experience? :confused:

Once you've booked your Venice (or close-by) hotel, let us know, Ray.

Good luck. ;)

Hi Gary!

Just finished my pre and post-cruise hotel booking yesterday. Staying at Hotel Monaco Grand Canal in San Marco for my pre-cruise, and at the Airotel Parthenon for the post-cruise part.

Anyone else staying in the same hotels? I'm travelling alone and would be glad to make friends and share lunch/dinner/tours/shopping with!

-Ray :)

Hi Gary!

Just finished my pre and post-cruise hotel booking yesterday. Staying at Hotel Monaco Grand Canal in San Marco for my pre-cruise, and at the Airotel Parthenon for the post-cruise part.

Anyone else staying in the same hotels? I'm travelling alone and would be glad to make friends and share lunch/dinner/tours/shopping with!

While I'm not at your pre-cruise Venice hotel, there's a bunch of us staying at the Airotel Parthenon post-cruise (in fact, I expect we'll pretty much take it over). So, yes we'll be happy to share time with you in Athens. I'm only there 2 days and definitely want to visit the new museum at the base of the Acropolis. You may be interested in that, too. Dinners/shopping sounds fun and as the time gets closer, we'll have to share contact info so we can meet onboard and plan the details.

I'm traveling with a friend from Houston, so can't speak for him, but I bet he's amenable, too.

You and 2500+ guys are getting excited, Ray. :D

Well it will be our first cruise too. We're both from London, UK and have no idea what to expect. We've been to Venice a few times so know the city quite well but haven't been to any of the other destinations. It would be really good to get to know some of you guys prior to the cruise and if anyone has any tips for an Atlantis cruise in particular... would be much appreciated.

Facebook's a good idea too - will look up that group.

Cheers

Gav

just signed up in the facebook page...it would be good to met some guys prior the cruise.

Fellows,

As you probably know, the Atlantis website is not a model of technical expertise or website originality. However, if you want to see really good pix of the Equinox and great deck plans/cabin layouts, visit www.piedpipertravel.com.

Once on their site, choose one of their Equinox sailings and "dig down" to the info on the ship. It's much better than what Atlantis is showing.

BTW, because of the limited offerings by Atlantis in 2011 (as least as we now know), I'm thinking of booking with Pied Piper next year. While it's not a complete charter situation like Atlantis, the px is about 75% of Atlantis and some of the more popular Pied Piper cruises have gay groups numbering in the dozens (even hundreds).

Just FYI.

See everyone onboard the Equinox in about 5 weeks!

While I'm not at your pre-cruise Venice hotel, there's a bunch of us staying at the Airotel Parthenon post-cruise (in fact, I expect we'll pretty much take it over). So, yes we'll be happy to share time with you in Athens. I'm only there 2 days and definitely want to visit the new museum at the base of the Acropolis. You may be interested in that, too. Dinners/shopping sounds fun and as the time gets closer, we'll have to share contact info so we can meet onboard and plan the details.

I'm traveling with a friend from Houston, so can't speak for him, but I bet he's amenable, too.

You and 2500+ guys are getting excited, Ray. :D

Hi Gary and other cruisemates!

Nice to know there's a bunch of guys staying at Airotel Parthenon too! I'm open to all suggestions about Athens, and yes, the new museum sounds interesting. Staying there for two days as well, and the only flight available on my departure day is 6:45 AM. Very early, but I have no other choice.

Now, what's the best way to exchange contact info. in this forum? I don't know if we're allowed to post email addresses here. I'm still trying to figure out if I could have my phone work internationally.

Yeah, the excitement is building up! :p

-Ray

Hi Gary and other cruisemates!

Now, what's the best way to exchange contact info. in this forum? I don't know if we're allowed to post email addresses here.

Yeah, the excitement is building up! :p

-Ray

I think e-mail addresses here are OK. Mine is sfgoguy@comcast.net.

See you soon, Ray.

Well, almost a month to go and eagerly awaiting the reservation numbers from Atlantis. I've sailed on the Solstice twice and wondering if I'll notice any differences between the ships.

Since this is my first Med. trip w. Atlantis, I've heard that the deck parties are not as "frenetic" as the Caribbean ones. Has anyone done a Med cruise with Atlantis before?

We are about to depart to Europe, but our travel agent has told us the cruise "tickets" will be e-mailed by Atlantis only 2 weeks before the cruise (while we're away). Is that correct? We feel uncomfortable having spent a ton of money on this cruise.

We are about to depart to Europe, but our travel agent has told us the cruise "tickets" will be e-mailed by Atlantis only 2 weeks before the cruise (while we're away). Is that correct? We feel uncomfortable having spent a ton of money on this cruise.

I think that's their standard operating procedure, as I was told the same. The fact that it would be e-mailed to you just means you would have access to it wherever in the world you are, so you shouldn't worry. Were you at least given a reservation confirmation and a confirmation number?

Atlantis is slow in getting out the confirmation number so you can register online with Celebrity, however, I'm guessing that they will be sending out the confirmations soon like they did with the Baltic cruise (30 days in advance).

The most important thing is to register online as soon as you get the confirmation from Atlantis and book any excursions that you want to do. You don't need anything else since you can get it all at the pier.

The most important thing is to register online as soon as you get the confirmation from Atlantis and book any excursions that you want to do. You don't need anything else since you can get it all at the pier.

Purchasing your drink package through Celebrity once you get your Equinox confirmation number. :p

4+ weeks and counting, guys. :eek:

Purchasing your drink package through Celebrity once you get your Equinox confirmation number. :p

4+ weeks and counting, guys. :eek:

When I was getting ready for the Solstice I debated getting the liquor package but wasn't sure which one if any. So...I waited and when I was on the ship that first day I ordered what I typically do, a Grey Goose with Cranberry, which ended up coming to $7.00, the max price for the regular liquor package. However, online, they list Grey Goose as a premium liquor so you supposedly only can get it with the premium package. So I bought the basic liquor package and it was a deal.

I'm going to wait until I get aboard though to make sure that my favorite vodka is still covered.

I understand that shore excursions and drink packages will have to be booked with Celebrity (Equinox), and not with Atlantis. Correct me if I am wrong.

I already have a confirmation number from Atlantis, will I be getting a different one from Celebrity??

-Ray :confused:

I understand that shore excursions and drink packages will have to be booked with Celebrity (Equinox), and not with Atlantis. Correct me if I am wrong.

I already have a confirmation number from Atlantis, will I be getting a different one from Celebrity??

Yes, that's the Atlantis confirmation number. Atlantis will send out an email with the Celebrity Confirmation number that you will need to set up your onboard account and register with Celebrity. Additionally, once Atlantis puts up the schedule on their website, which is usually the same day they send out the emails, you can use your Atlantis number to obtain your Celebrity number, however, you should already have it from the email.

Once you register with Celebrity you can then start to purchase excursions, drink packages, and gifts, etc...

Atlantis will send out an e-mail about 2-3 weeks pre-cruise that provides you with the Celebrity-assigned booking number and a link to Celebrity to register all your personal info in advance and save time on the day of embarkation. That's also when you can book your excursions, buy drink packages, etc.

The Atlantis confirmation number is their own internal bookkeeping/tracking number and really has nothing to do with the cruise line.

See you soon, buddy. :)

Yes, that's the Atlantis confirmation number. Atlantis will send out an email with the Celebrity Confirmation number that you will need to set up your onboard account and register with Celebrity. Additionally, once Atlantis puts up the schedule on their website, which is usually the same day they send out the emails, you can use your Atlantis number to obtain your Celebrity number, however, you should already have it from the email.

Once you register with Celebrity you can then start to purchase excursions, drink packages, and gifts, etc...

Thanks for the info., BostonBud! :)

-Ray :cool:

Atlantis will send out an e-mail about 2-3 weeks pre-cruise that provides you with the Celebrity-assigned booking number and a link to Celebrity to register all your personal info in advance and save time on the day of embarkation. That's also when you can book your excursions, buy drink packages, etc.

The Atlantis confirmation number is their own internal bookkeeping/tracking number and really has nothing to do with the cruise line.

See you soon, buddy. :)

Thanks for the info. cruisemate! :cool:

Hi Cruisemates :cool:,

Here's the link to the excursions being offered by Celebrity: https://secure.celebritycruises.com/beforeyourcruise/bookShorex.do;jsessionid=0000el6S2VuNP-473ORx1LPLo8_:12hdbcveb?pagename=book_shore_excursions&cS=SIDENAV

You can download the brochure without actually booking by clicking the "Shore and Land Excursions Brochures Download" in PDF format. You will be prompted to enter your ship and saildate info.

It's 41 pages long, so get your cup of coffee and read on! :eek:

Archived