Take the Denali shuttle to where?

perlgirlnj

Which Denali shuttle should we reserve?  

17 members have voted

1. 1. Which Denali shuttle should we reserve?

• Toklat
    • Eielson Visitor Center
    • Wonder Lake
    • Other? Please specify.

I've read that many recommend booking the shuttle to Wonder Lake but getting off and turning around at Eielson if the mountain isn't out.

With the 3 hour difference in time on the bus, plus hiking to get to the photo spot and the mosquito factor, is it really worth it to go all the way to Wonder Lake?

Eleven hours versus eight hours. Boy that's a lot of time spent on that bus!

This past July we stayed on the bus all the way to Wonder Lake even though the mountain was not out. We also had our 2 kids - 11 and 14 with us. We did not regret our decision. Other than birds, we did not see any wildlife past Eielsen but the scenery is still beautiful. We were fortunate that the mosquitos were not bad - we were prepared with bug nets but didn't use them.

Book to Wonder Lake no matter when you travel:

1) you can always get off at Eielson and catch a bus back to the entrance much easier than booking to Eielson and trying to get to Wonder Lake as an "add on" - fewer buses go to WL and if the weather is nice, you aren't the only ones wanting to go there

2) mosquito factor is a small factor if you prepare properly. If 60-80 people per night camp there, I think you have a pretty high chance of survival for 45 minutes or so :)

3) how often will you go to Denali? This is a chance of a lifetime for most people.

4) it is 6 miles from Wonder Lake campground (mile 85) to Kantishna (mile 91). There is NO WAY whatsoever that it is 2.5 miles from the "Y" to Reflection Pond. That is more than half way from the campground to Kantishna. That is factually incorrect information about "2.5 miles in each direction" to Reflection Pond. Check out this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g143022-i1271-k2893908-Wonder_Lake_Shuttle_and_Reflecting_Pond_Question-Denali_National_Park_and_Preserve_Alaska.html

Only you can make this decision. If I am ever able to go again I would book to Wonder Lake and decide on the day of the tour how far to go. As far as mosquitos, it depends when you go. The later in the summer, the fewer mosquitos from what the experts have posted. We went in prime mosquito season and had our nets with us. However, due to the rain and me not feeling well, we ended up just staying with the shuttle bus and heading back. Some don't like dealing with mosquitos so will not recommend you going all the way. Others actually even camp out there. They come prepared. Just think it through and decide which fits you best. Your trip should not be about what works for others but about what will work for you.

I agree with Frugaltravel that it makes sense to book to Wonder Lake and then turn around at Eielson if you don't feel like going on. The difference in cost is pretty nominal. We did that last August with our two daughters (9 & 12), and we wound up going all the way to Wonder Lake. The 11 hours really didn't feel that long, and who knows when, or if we will get back to Denali again. As mentioned, if you book to the visitors center and then decide you want to go on, it may be more difficult. As for mosquitoes, we didn't experience any in mid-August.

I read on the park shuttle site:

Did you go ahead and do this hike?

We actually did not do the hike. The mountain wasn't out. We just walked around the area and got back on the same bus we went out on. Our bus driver went for a swim in Wonder Lake.

Book to Wonder Lake no matter when you travel:

1) you can always get off at Eielson and catch a bus back to the entrance much easier than booking to Eielson and trying to get to Wonder Lake as an "add on" - fewer buses go to WL and if the weather is nice, you aren't the only ones wanting to go there

2) mosquito factor is a small factor if you prepare properly. If 60-80 people per night camp there, I think you have a pretty high chance of survival for 45 minutes or so :)

3) how often will you go to Denali? This is a chance of a lifetime for most people.

4) it is 6 miles from Wonder Lake campground (mile 85) to Kantishna (mile 91). There is NO WAY whatsoever that it is 2.5 miles from the "Y" to Reflection Pond. That is more than half way from the campground to Kantishna. That is factually incorrect information about "2.5 miles in each direction" to Reflection Pond. Check out this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g143022-i1271-k2893908-Wonder_Lake_Shuttle_and_Reflecting_Pond_Question-Denali_National_Park_and_Preserve_Alaska.html

Thanks--this was very helpful.

My family knows that I am "mosquito food" under the best of circumstances. Where do I get head nets, or whatever it's really called?

What is your timeframe??? I am a multi time visitor of Denali Park. Have gone to Wonder Lake many times. I don't like the significant bug problems you can run into prior to mid August. BUT, I have 26 trips to Alaska, so a few with "missed" areas aren't any big deal to me. But, many times, likely would be to most others. I'll probably do 2 trips into Eielson, this next trip. There also is the option to purchase a Wonder Lake bus from the Aramark employee stationed at Eielson.

The following is a post I found a long time again when I was researching my trip. Since we had a rainy day, we did not take advantage of this walk. Here is what was posted:

"In my opinion, you won't regret going to Wonder Lake, even if there are lots of mosquitos. If the mountain is "out" and there is little or no wind, you might consider asking the bus driver to drop you off at the "Y" - where they turn left to Wonder Lake (right goes to Kantishna).

If you walk about 1/4 mile toward Kantishna, you will see Reflection Pond on your left. Hopefully you can get Mt. McKinley with a reflection in the pond.

Before you get off, tell the bus driver that you plan on getting back on the bus when he returns (so that he saves your space on the bus - sometimes campers get on the shuttle buses at Wonder Lake). You could even walk toward where the bus picks you up - it is only about a mile or so."

There also is the option to purchase a Wonder Lake bus from the Aramark employee stationed at Eielson.

But that is only on a "space available" basis and buses to Wonder Lake are much less frequent than to Eielson. Much better from an assurance standpoint to book to Wonder Lake and get off at Eielson than booking to Eielson and trying to get to Wonder Lake on a clear day on a "space available" basis. http://www.nps.gov/dena/planyourvisit/upload/2009%20ADVANCE%20RESERVATION%20SHUTTLE%20SCHEDULE.pdf

The following is a post I found a long time again when I was researching my trip. Since we had a rainy day, we did not take advantage of this walk. Here is what was posted:

"Before you get off, tell the bus driver that you plan on getting back on the bus when he returns (so that he saves your space on the bus - sometimes campers get on the shuttle buses at Wonder Lake). You could even walk toward where the bus picks you up - it is only about a mile or so."

I am not sure the driver will hold your seat. Perhaps. I would definitely double check before you get off.

But that is only on a "space available" basis and buses to Wonder Lake are much less frequent than to Eielson. Much better from an assurance standpoint to book to Wonder Lake and get off at Eielson than booking to Eielson and trying to get to Wonder Lake on a clear day on a "space available" basis. http://www.nps.gov/dena/planyourvisit/upload/2009%20ADVANCE%20RESERVATION%20SHUTTLE%20SCHEDULE.pdf

I am not sure the driver will hold your seat. Perhaps. I would definitely double check before you get off.

I have ALWAYS seen available space sold at Eielson/Fish Creek for the Wonder Lake upgrade. They also ALWAYS never fully sell any shuttle buses, unlike the tour buses which sell every seat.

The bus driver does NOT hold the actual seat, but if you leave stuff on it, you have a pretty good chance of it being there. This recommendation means only that a seat be held for you on the bus, which in the past they have done for these pick ups. Not sure if you have been there???? There is a pick up line at Wonder Lake, that they will frequently fill buses with. The place mentioned above for the hike is after this pick up stop. Buses are usually stopped for 45 minutes down the hill at the lake stop. So plenty of time for this hike. BUT, again, verify the driver will hold back a seat for your later pick up on the same bus.

We'll be there the first week in August; we're planning to do our major park shuttle day on August 5th. I guess I'm leaning toward buying the shuttle ticket to Wonder Lake and seeing how we're feeling as we travel.

This is prime severe bug time. You will need to be WELL prepared if going to Wonder Lake.

I can already hear my husband and daughter laughing at me but then again, neither of them ever gets bitten up the way I do.

Before I make a total fool of myself, really--do people wear these? I won't be the only one?

I can already hear my husband and daughter laughing at me but then again, neither of them ever gets bitten up the way I do.

Before I make a total fool of myself, really--do people wear these? I won't be the only one?

Yep, sure do, I have bug hat, ugly as it goes, but nobody cares in Alaska. :) Bought mine in Walmart.

I have ALWAYS seen available space sold at Eielson/Fish Creek for the Wonder Lake upgrade. They also ALWAYS never fully sell any shuttle buses, unlike the tour buses which sell every seat.

The bus driver does NOT hold the actual seat, but if you leave stuff on it, you have a pretty good chance of it being there. This recommendation means only that a seat be held for you on the bus, which in the past they have done for these pick ups. Not sure if you have been there???? There is a pick up line at Wonder Lake, that they will frequently fill buses with. The place mentioned above for the hike is after this pick up stop. Buses are usually stopped for 45 minutes down the hill at the lake stop. So plenty of time for this hike. BUT, again, verify the driver will hold back a seat for your later pick up on the same bus.

But you say you ALWAYS only go as far as Eielson until mid August.

Yes, they ALWAYS sell seats at Eielson to Wonder Lake, but that doesn't mean you will be on the next bus out! I have seen Wonder Lake buses totally full on occasion when arriving at Eielson. It happens. The buses depart with only 4 empty seats when booked "full" but those four seats can be taken west of mile 20 when day hikers, backcountry campers, or campers at Tek, Igloo or Sanctuary want to catch a bus further into the park for day hiking (yes, those with camper bus tickets can ride ANY green shuttle bus west of mile 20). So imagine this:

Take the 6.30am Eielson shuttle (arrive about 10.30-11am at Eielson). At Eielson, you could switch to the 6.45 or 7.15 Wonder Lake shuttle, if there is room. If others have the same idea, it is first-come, first-served. A family of 3-4 might have only one shot at it for the same bus. For one or two travelers, you would have a better chance, but still not 100% like if you booked to Wonder Lake to begin with. Last year the Disco Hike bus continued to Wonder for day hikers (for the very reason that the Wonder Lake buses were so full!) then turned around toward the park entrance for the same purpose. But it is not a guarantee every year that it will go that far (in prior years the Disco Hike bus only went as far as Eielson then turned around). After the 7.15am bus, it is a two hour wait for the next one!

I stand by my suggestion - book to Wonder Lake and bail out earlier is a 100% guarantee to get what you want and you "lose" $11.50 if you pay to Wonder but only go to Eielson.

Yep. Three times this year in fact. When was the last time you were there????

not for a few years. BUT, before I posted, I did verify with my Denali bus driver email pal, my information. He has over 20 years driving for Aramark in Denali Park, and also stated that it is pretty easy getting the upgrade for Wonder Lake at Eielson. Overall, he says few people do upgrades.

Changing directions here for a minute..........

Two more questions:

1. I know everybody says to take the earliest bus there is (5:30 AM? 6:30 AM?). How bad is it if we wait til the late, late hour of say, 7:30 AM? There's a serious quality of life sleeping issue for me and my daughter. (My husband could take a 5:30 AM shuttle with no problem.)

2. I know that the only groomed trails are at the beginning of the park road but that many people get off and hike and then get back on the shuttle. I've never done this kind of hiking before. Is there a website or a publication that suggests which places may be good for this? I assume we have to have disposed of all of our lunch stuff (so we don't attract animals) before we get off the bus; is this right? What happens if I still have snack food with me?

Thanks again.

What is your timeframe??? I am a multi time visitor of Denali Park. Have gone to Wonder Lake many times. I don't like the significant bug problems you can run into prior to mid August. BUT, I have 26 trips to Alaska, so a few with "missed" areas aren't any big deal to me. But, many times, likely would be to most others. I'll probably do 2 trips into Eielson, this next trip. There also is the option to purchase a Wonder Lake bus from the Aramark employee stationed at Eielson.

Budgetqueen are you saying that the latter part of August will be less bugs? I am going 25 Aug - 3 Sep on a cruise tour which gets into Denali as part of it. Will there be bitting critters other areas of Alaska to worry about?

Budgetqueen are you saying that the latter part of August will be less bugs? I am going 25 Aug - 3 Sep on a cruise tour which gets into Denali as part of it. Will there be bitting critters other areas of Alaska to worry about?

This is the time frame that we went. There were horrible mosquitos in Seward and Anchorage, but none in Denali. However, we only went as far as Eielson.

Changing directions here for a minute..........

Two more questions:

1. I know everybody says to take the earliest bus there is (5:30 AM? 6:30 AM?). How bad is it if we wait til the late, late hour of say, 7:30 AM? There's a serious quality of life sleeping issue for me and my daughter. (My husband could take a 5:30 AM shuttle with no problem.)

2. I know that the only groomed trails are at the beginning of the park road but that many people get off and hike and then get back on the shuttle. I've never done this kind of hiking before. Is there a website or a publication that suggests which places may be good for this? I assume we have to have disposed of all of our lunch stuff (so we don't attract animals) before we get off the bus; is this right? What happens if I still have snack food with me?

Thanks again.

Ike Waits book is the best for tips on day hikes in Denali. You can see part of it online if you do a google search. Asking at the WAC, the visitor center or Eielson can also give you some good ideas, as well as asking bus drivers.

No need to dispose of all your food before you get off the bus. For those only staying on the bus they recommend you eat on the bus (since 99% of the people stay on the bus and would otherwise only eat at the rest areas, dropping food crumbs all in the same place). But for day hikes, definitely take plenty of food. You don't want to be like the two nimwit hikers last year who took less for for two of them for an overnight hike than my friend and I each took for our day hike!

The biggest reason for very early or very late shuttles - in my opinion - is to get a better chance of viewing Mt. McKinley. Often it is only visible very late or very early in the day. Ask campers at Wonder Lake. They have a much higher chance of seeing the Mountain when it comes out at 4am and is covered up again well before noon. The earlier buses give you somewhat increased odds of seeing the Mountain. Some say animals are more readily spotted on very early buses. The main time this is true is if it becomes a very warm day and the animals don't roam in the heat. Otherwise, I have seen lots of wildlife at all times of the day.

Archived