Take the Denali shuttle to where?

perlgirlnj

Which Denali shuttle should we reserve?  

17 members have voted

1. 1. Which Denali shuttle should we reserve?

• Toklat
    • Eielson Visitor Center
    • Wonder Lake
    • Other? Please specify.

I am always on the first available bus, my preference. A problem with later buses is arriving a few hours around mid day, when there is some heat, and the animals exit. :( So it depends greatly on when you go. ANY trip will offer you something, and EACH will be unique, no way to predict anything. As already noted, McKinley may be more viewable. I have never seen an entire McKinley view in the park, but have several times from the Parks and Talkeetna.

As for the bug problems, these are specific to Wonder Lake, I have gone in the park many times, and never have encountered anything up to Eielson, which is my furthest point prior to mid August. But I am always on a Wonder Lake bus after this timeframe, again my preference.

As for hiking, for a first timer, I suggest you ride your bus out to your turn around point, checking out on the way out, what looks of interest to you, THEN exit the bus on the return. All your belongings are carry on, carry off. Most times there isn't any disposal on the buses, that I recall. There is garbage disposal at the rest stops and Eielson. Non strong smelling stuff is fine otherwise.

Perlgirlnj, Regarding the bug get-up. We carry the bug heads in our backpacks for here in NH and MASS for hiking. Some friends have the complete bug suits for gardening, too. If Alaska skeeters are anything like ours and our black flies, who gives a rat's what you look like? Take one for yourself and laugh at all the people doing the waving-looney dance. The head nets take up no space, weigh nothing, and might just save your very expensive vacation. Benadryl, Immodium, bug nets--the big three. Don't leave home without them.

Perlgirlnj, Regarding the bug get-up. We carry the bug heads in our backpacks for here in NH and MASS for hiking. Some friends have the complete bug suits for gardening, too. If Alaska skeeters are anything like ours and our black flies, who gives a rat's what you look like? Take one for yourself and laugh at all the people doing the waving-looney dance. The head nets take up no space, weigh nothing, and might just save your very expensive vacation. Benadryl, Immodium, bug nets--the big three. Don't leave home without them.

The bugs are far more severe, in Alaska, depending on areas, not sure what your Immodium/Diarrhea, reference has to do with it however?????

I visited the park in September, no bugs. Took the Tundra Wilderness Tour as part of the cruisetour. This was 8 hrs that flew by. The landscape is so varied and you stay so busy looking for wildlife, the trip is over before you know it. I hope to return in 2011 to spend a whole day in the park - the longer the better. By the way, we were fortunate to see Mt McKinley for 3 days straight.:)

The bugs are far more severe, in Alaska, depending on areas, not sure what your Immodium/Diarrhea, reference has to do with it however?????

Hi Budgetqueen, My reference to Immodium is because it is one of the big three that our family cannot travel without, along with Benadryl, and usually some kind of bug defense--spray or headnets. Those three have saved our trips whether short or long. Because when you are out walking/biking around or cooped up with someone who got too close to poison ivy, a bees nest, the wrong soap or shampoo, perfume bathers, nervous tummy, bad burgers or horse-sized biters, there are really very few substitutions. Waiting for the local gas station to open and crossing fingers that they are well-stocked is not a comforting thought. They travel in the armrest of all of our cars and will be in my bag when we set out for our first ever cruise next July.

Archived