Destiny Review 11/2-11/7/09

jerseygirl79

This was a great trip and I really enjoyed myself as did my family. My uncle asked me on a scale of 1 to 10 how would I rate the cruise. I didn't have an answer for him, but I do now. I'd give this trip a 7. I deduct 2 points for the ships age. The cosmetic stuff isn't a big deal, but the engine vibration was a bit annoying and could get loud at dinner. Also, the sewage smell was odd and the elevators factor. I deduct a 3rd point for the stop in Ochos Rios. Maybe this port should be removed in the future.

All in all, this was a great cruise for a great value. Looking back at my pics I'd do it again :D I'd take a Carnival Cruise over freezing at home in DE ANY DAY!!!!

I deduct a 3rd point for the stop in Ochos Rios. Maybe this port should be removed in the future.

Could you tell us more about your disappointment with Ocho Rios? I will be there soon. We are planning the Sky Lift and Dunns River Falls excursion.

You mentioned engine vibrations at dinner in the Universe dining room and bad smells. What cabin did you guys have again?

Thank you for the awesome review and for posting the Capers.

Could you tell us more about your disappointment with Ocho Rios? I will be there soon. We are planning the Sky Lift and Dunns River Falls excursion.

You mentioned engine vibrations at dinner in the Universe dining room and bad smells. What cabin did you guys have again?

Thank you for the awesome review and for posting the Capers.

I really just wanted to spend my time in port at a beautiful beach. Grand Cayman delivered, but Ochos Rios....nowhere close. The beaches leave a LOT to be desired. However, I really enjoyed Dunn's River Falls when I visited last year. Originally, I planned to do the bob sled and sky lift tour, but we had small children with us so that affected our plans.

I think you'll enjoy yourself more than we did with the excursions you have planned!

We were in cabin 7289 and I did not smell anything in my cabin. I first encountered the smell (like someone passed gas) during the safety briefing on deck 4 aft. I'm not sure what is in this area, but I didn't smell it all of the time. Also, I never smelled anything in the MDR, Lido, cabin or other common areas.

The Universe Dining room is on decks 3/4 aft. At times I felt like we were sitting right over the engine. But it wasn't bad enough for me to skip eating there :D

Awesome pictures. THe Destiny looks like a good ship, except for all the rust.

Destiny really did grow on me and is a fine ship. The rust really wasn't very noticeable. I just happen to be sitting right in front of it and thought, "oh....let me get a pic for my review". I thought someone else might be interested in seeing the pics. My family never commented on any rust because they were busy with more important things, hahahahah. In fact, after looking at my pics, DH would say, "What's with all the pictures of the bathroom? What is that? Why did you take a picture of that?"

jersey, thanks!

Also, did they have a chocolate buffet or bar?

Oh...I was going to mention this and and forgot. Chocolate Buffet was either the last sea day or Ochos Rios day. I'm thinking it was the last sea day though. It was good, but not great. I enjoyed the three layer chocolate cake and something that looked like a chocolate truffle and full of dense chocolate....mmmm...THAT was good! Now that I think about, I'm glad it was great because that's the last thing I needed after all the food I ate. LOL

BTW....the WCMC was awesome. Every night it was consistently good.

Wanderlust402, we did the Sky Explorer and Dunns River Falls on the Liberty last month. We didn't climb the falls but used the staircase. The falls are beautiful. The Sky Explorer was awesome, beautiful views above the trees and of the water with the cruise ships visible. We ate at the restaurant which also had some great views. The food was very good. I hope you enjoy your time in Ocho Rios.

We were in cabin 7289

One additional question about your cabin, I noticed that your room was across from the elevators and stairwell. Did you have any issues with corridor noise? I am on the forward Empress deck, and would consider moving to a suite, but I am a little worried about being too close to an elevator. The flip side in my mind is that since this deck has so many suites that there are fewer passengers than some of the other decks.

One additional question about your cabin, I noticed that your room was across from the elevators and stairwell. Did you have any issues with corridor noise? I am on the forward Empress deck, and would consider moving to a suite, but I am a little worried about being too close to an elevator. The flip side in my mind is that since this deck has so many suites that there are fewer passengers than some of the other decks.

I LOVED being next to the elevator. It was great. 2 decks up and we were smack dead at Lido.....4 decks down and we were right outside of the Universe MDR.

The only noise I heard came from a group of small children whose parents thought it was okay for them to run instead of walk down the halls, but I'm sure everyone in that hallway heard them. Other than that....no issues at all.

Wanderlust402, we did the Sky Explorer and Dunns River Falls on the Liberty last month. We didn't climb the falls but used the staircase. The falls are beautiful. The Sky Explorer was awesome, beautiful views above the trees and of the water with the cruise ships visible. We ate at the restaurant which also had some great views. The food was very good. I hope you enjoy your time in Ocho Rios.

That sounds like fun. I wish I had done that.

Last year I climbed the falls. I was feeling adventurous and I'm glad I did it, but it was a one time deal for me. Next visit there, I'm taking the stairs, hahahhah

I was going to do the Digital Scavenger Hunt, but you need at least one partner and DH had gone to the gym :( Anywho, it looked like a lot of fun. Hopefully, next time.

We did make the Galley Tour. Now don't blink or you'll miss it! It was literally a driveby :D, we walked through the galley in about 5 min or less.

(Vinod) the Maitre'd

jerseygirl, Thank you so much for posting such a detailed review! The destiny will be my 2nd cruise (Wedding Yay!!) and so far we have 47 people booked and about 10 have cruised before! I went on the Valor in 2007 and LOVED IT! I appreciate everything you commented on including the rust! I looked at your pics and I felt I was there! I even got alittle sad reading about debarktion (lol). I believe overall my family and friends will have a great time! I am sooo excited and the fact that you mentioned the let down's of OR we know what to avoid there! We will definetly do excursions there. Carnival did rearrange the itinerary and GC will be our first port. Thanks again for all the details!!!!!!!!!!

jerseygirl, Thank you so much for posting such a detailed review! The destiny will be my 2nd cruise (Wedding Yay!!) and so far we have 47 people booked and about 10 have cruised before! I went on the Valor in 2007 and LOVED IT! I appreciate everything you commented on including the rust! I looked at your pics and I felt I was there! I even got alittle sad reading about debarktion (lol). I believe overall my family and friends will have a great time! I am sooo excited and the fact that you mentioned the let down's of OR we know what to avoid there! We will definetly do excursions there. Carnival did rearrange the itinerary and GC will be our first port. Thanks again for all the details!!!!!!!!!!

You're getting married on Destiny??? Very cool. You'll going to have the BEST time. We were married on Miracle this past May. The pics are in my signature. Congratulations to you and have a blast!!!

You're getting married on Destiny??? Very cool. You'll going to have the BEST time. We were married on Miracle this past May. The pics are in my signature. Congratulations to you and have a blast!!!

Your pics are beautiful jerseygirl! I am so ready for August to come!

Jerseygirl I was so waiting for your review & I'm glad to know you had a great time!! Sorry about the experience @ Ocho Rios but @ least you had a great time in Grand Cayman. I was very happy to see a pic. of Brent-the CD.

I'm wondering what's your next cruise going to be. Take care!!!

Jerseygirl I was so waiting for your review & I'm glad to know you had a great time!! Sorry about the experience @ Ocho Rios but @ least you had a great time in Grand Cayman. I was very happy to see a pic. of Brent-the CD.

I'm wondering what's your next cruise going to be. Take care!!!

For the next cruise I was contemplating Pride out of Baltimore because we could avoid flying or Valor. DH really wants to do an All inclusive resort and I want to go to Mexico, so we're going to do an AI in Riviera Maya in May.

Then I'll start planning the next cruise, hahahah. The in-laws want to sail to Alaska in 2011, but I don't know about that. I need some heat!!!

I don't blame you. It will be here before you know it!!! Are you on the weddding boards? There's a few Destiny brides on there.

Yes we are doing the wedding aboard! Yes there are quite a few destiny brides on this site! We are all very anxious, How can I make this time go by?

• 3 weeks later...

Jerseygirl, a thousand thanks for your travelogue! The perennial smile on you face tells it all! Am on Destiny Eastern Caribbean Jan 11-16 2010, can't wait. It's a quasi-business trip, but plan to have as much fun as poss. Did anyone in your family go to the Spa? Was wondering what that would be like. You have helped so many of us first-time cruisers get a feel for what it's like. Hats off to you and your lovely family.http://boards.cruisecritic.com/images/smilies/wink.gif

Herblover in Northern California

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Jerseygirl, thanks for the great review and pictures! I was on Destiny last February and enjoyed it very much. I've been on a number of cruises and I don't sweat the small stuff. I'm going again on January 16 (only 9 days to go) on a 5 night to Grand Cayman and Ocho Rios. What did you mean about the secret door on deck 6?

Archived