Pharaohs and Promised Land - Excursions

Hi all

We're 95% sure that we're going to take this cruise in April 2010 (the Ashdod rather than Haifa variation). I'm just hoping that someone on here may have done this cruise already and be able to answer some questions about excursions :

Ashdod - how long is the coach journey to Jerusalem?

Port Said - if you don't go to Cairo (been before), are there other excursions or is there anything in the town worth seeing?

We nearly did this cruise in 2009 and don't think we'll be able to resist it next year!

Thanks for any help.

Many thanks for the link. I had poked around the Thomson website but couldn't find the excursions anywhere.

Looks like we'll definately be booking this one as excursions seem to be excellent value for money

I agree - Thomson really are pretty reasonable with their excursion prices when compared to other cruise lines which can be anything from 50 - 100% dearer for similar trips (especially some of the American lines!). Although we've not yet done this itinerary, I suspect that ship's excursions are the way to go because of the distances involved, security and the locations.

Where it is possible to adopt a DiY option and use local transport we tend to go down that route - but when that's a bit 'iffy' or the Thomson package seems to offer a good deal (convenience, guide, additional photo opportunities etc.) we don't begrudge paying - especially if it's something like a 5 hour trip for just over £30ish. In recent trips we've also found Thomson to be very good with info on independent approaches at ports of call.

You do hear a lot of people complaining about tour costs. Of course if you have a family and costs are x4, or more - it can be very steep and occasionally we know that there have been problems with the odd excursion but in these instances I think the Destination Services have been very reasonable giving a % or even total refund. But excursion costs really need to be put in context of what other cruise lines would charge.

Hi,

I want to second Kruzseeka about the cost of the excursions. We sailed with Royal caribbean in June and they charged £120 per person for the Cairo Pyramids and Museum trip from Alexandria. Thomson's only charge £68 for it. Other comparable excursions are cheaper by the same proportion.

Berwyn

Normally I'm quite an independent traveller but given the political situation in Israel and Jerusalem I would want the comfort of a ships tour. A bit of a no-brainer given the prices.

Not desperate to see the pyramids again, although we have yet to see Sakkara and Memphis which is tempting. We are old hands at Egypt and are not put off by the locals who are lovely once you get used to the culture so are contemplating spending a few days in Cairo some other time to catch up on all we haven't seen already. The guided tours never spend long enough anywhere and the Museum needs at least half a day in itself. No other excursions from Port Said that may give me a clue what to do whilst there - we have the Rough Guide and Lonely Planet guide for Egypt so need to do some reading up on this port.

NB, If anyone does a tour to the pyramids and has a bit of spare time on their hands there, go and see the solar boat. Our guide didn't even mention it but it was amazing and it's right by the side of the great pyramid.

Hi History Addict (very appropriate name given your obvious interest in Egypt!) :)

This is bit off 'thread' - and apologies for that but I noticed you had recently done a Nile cruise with Libra. We would love to do the Nile - but have been a little put off with reports of hygiene standards on some boats. I'm always impressed with the attention to hygiene and level of cleaning on Thomson ships but the Nile trips (through Thomson) are not actually their ships so I'm not sure if the standards would be as good - or even that Thomson would have any say in the procedures adopted on board.

Which brings me to Libra which I see you travelled with. When we were on the Celebration recently some fellow passengers were recommending this company (particularly with reference to hygiene) so I'd be very interested to hear your views.

Hi Kruzseeka

My love of history is wide-ranging but Egypt is always something special. I've done the Nile cruise twice now, both times with Libra who were recommended to me via a cruise travel agent.

The boat is run by locals and caters for a number of nationalities but English are the larger group. The first time we went they had most of the boat but the second time we were probably only 50% of the overall passengers.

The level of hygiene on board is very good for Egypt. Hand gels outside the restaurant, all salads washed in mineral water, etc. However food is buffet style so as ever you are relying on the hygiene and hand washing of other guests. Many people on board have an iffy tummy at the start of the holidays, especially if it is your first time in Egypt, however if you take reasonable precautions this can be mostly avoided. We used hand gel on entering the restaurant and also had our own which we used at the table before eating and it made a big difference. Be aware of when you've touched bannister rails and use gel afterwards, etc. Take medicines with you.

If you are sensible, the iffy tummy will be minor and the holiday is so amazing that it totally offsets any minor inconvenience. Libra include 10 excursions within the price of the holiday (most do this) so you get to visit the temples of Luxor, Karnak, Edfu, Kom Ombo, Hatchepsut and Philae, the Aswan High Dam, the unfinished obelisk, the Valleys of the Kings and Queens and the Colossus of Memnon. You tend to start visits early in the morning shortly after the sun rises and before it gets too hot and then back on the boat for lunch and the boat will then sail down the nile to the next place during the afternoon.

The rooms are very spacious. One thing the Domina Prestige has which a lot of boats don't is floor to ceiling windows in each bedroom with tables and a chair. The windows open like french windows and there is a railing outside, although no balcony. I too have looked at the Thomson ships as we like their product but the rooms don't look anywhere near as nice. We always pay a modest supplement (I think about £30) for a cabin on the upper deck as you get to see more of the action on the banks of the nile as you sail past. The top deck is the sun deck with pool and bar - also has a large covered area.

We usually go in late January/early February - still very hot in the middle of the day but bearable at other times and perfect for sight-seeing. Incredible value for money - full board including excursions accompanied at all times by an Egyptologist costs less than £600 in winter.

Can't recommend it highly enough. We're probably going back again in 2011!

Good morning History Addict,

Thank you so much for your very informative and helpful reply. You have addressed many of my concerns and a personal recommendation is so much better than just picking something from a brochure.

Your confidence in terms of repeat bookings with the company speaks volumes - but taking responsibility yourself to enhance the hygiene precautions is good advice.

Thank you again for passing on your experiences - it's just what I needed to know. :):)

P.S. We've just come back from a Black Sea cruise - have you ever done this area? It was a fabulous trip - fascinating, so interesting, but very moving too. The Panorama at Sevastopol is one of the most memorable visits we've made on our travels.

Hi Kruzseeka

We got as far as Istanbul earlier this year with OV. Quite moving sailing through the Dardenelles past the memorials at Anzac Bay and along the Galipoli Peninsula. However haven't yet goto as far as the Black Sea.

My knowledge of history is more ancient through to medieval so I don't know much about the Crimean Wars. However as we've now covered most of the sites on our 'to do' list (which was pretty wide-ranging) and the Pharaohs trip should pick up most of the rest then we'll be looking for new areas of interest and will probably look at the Black Sea in a few years (still have the Fjords and Baltic with higher priority on to do list!). So little time and so many places to see....

The trouble is that Thomsons seem to be the only line really doing much in the Black Sea and whilst I love their product I do wish they'd charter a ship with balcony cabins!!

I'm not sure that Thomson are actuallly going into the Black Sea next season - one of the reasons we were keen to do it this year. I'm hoping that next year is just a bit of an 'in between' season (and abberation) whilst they get their new itineraries and ship bedded in. I just hope the Baltic and Scandinavia return to their schedules - I'm keen to do the Iceland trip.

Still with the Baltic on your 'hit list' you'll have plenty of history to soak up there. St Petersburg is amazing and the variety of culture and places of interest in the other cities typically visited on this trip make it a 'must do'. (We've done that one three times we were so impressed with it - can't fit enough in on one cruise!).

And the Fjords are just something else - but very different. Majestic, awesome (in the true sense of the word!) scenery and tranquil waters - so peaceful and serene! We visited the Alta Museum this year where there are rock carvings - some 6,000 years old - situated on the banks of a beautiful fjord. On a gloriuos sunny day it was idyllic. More happy memories!!!

Happy planning with your future cruises - I may be asking for some more advice if we do book a Nile trip and I think of anything else I'm unsure of. And if I can help with ideas if you do book either the Baltic or Norway - I'd be happy to help. :)

The fjords sound great - we're planning on Norway for probably July with either P and O or Fred Olsen. We thought about going earlier when snow and waterfalls would be more spectacular but decided in the end we'd probably rather forsake this and plump for (hopefully) warmer weather. I'd love to do Iceland too but I don't think my partner will take long enough away from his business to get that far!

We always keep an eye on Thomsons as they have such great itineraries. I suppose with all the comings and goings of ships in the last year or so they will need to draw breath and re-think which ships are best suited to which area. Hopefully they'll continue to produce different itineraries to the other lines. Itineraries are the major factor for us when booking combined with as few sea days as possible. Thomson are very good at this!

Hi there Kruzseeka.....I would just like to endorse what History addict has said about Nile cruises.....we went with Discover Egypt who were excellent... but Libra cabins sound nicer.....we had all those excursions mentioned and it was absolutely amazing....

We were on a table of 10 for our meals and only one person had a dodgy tummy and she had eaten a salad and was just out of action for a day.....we took alcohol gel, wet wipes, antiseptic wipes for the cabin telephone, tv etc. and were scrupulous about using bottled water for everything (even cleaning teeth), no ice in drinks, no salads, and cleaning hands after touching handrails, handling money, etc. etc.

We also went beginning of February and weather was hot but not uncomfortable. We would very much like to do it again as there is so much to see (one passenger was on his eleventh Nile cruise!!!)

We did the Black Sea itinerary on Calypso last year and loved it !! and we'll be on the Pharoahs and Promised land on 10 March....we love the middle east and all it has to offer.

Hi Jenny Wren, a fellow fan of that area!

To anyone considering a trip to Egypt I'd say the first time people travel to that part of the world they can find the locals intimidating. You are expected to haggle on every price which is very un-British to start of with but once you've entered into the spirit of it and given it a try you'll find it easier. Unfortunately this puts a lot of people off in ports like Tunisia, Morocco, etc, and these ports get a bad write up on these forums.

There is also a culture of tipping for absolutely everything (even worse than American cruise lines!) - they may ask you for bakshish which is their word for a tip. (The first time we heard it we thought they were trying to sell us hashish!!)

Leave your Britishness behind and enter into the spirit of a totally different culture with an open mind and you'll find the local Egyptian folk lovely, warm and welcoming. They will, however, also sell their own grandmothers if the price is right so keep your wits about you.

Earlier this year we thought we were about to be run over on the main road in Luxor by a local on a moped beeping his horn but he just wanted to attract our attention and shouted to us 'welcome to Egypt'. Several farmers did the same as they ran to wave at our boat as we sailed down the nile.

They are a poor country and desperately need our custom, particularly just now when fewer people can afford to travel to Egypt. Don't let a bit of over-eagerness send you scurrying for the boat as you will gain joy from the interaction with the people.

Hello jenny and History addict,

Well, you are both getting me quite enthused now! I'm busy looking at the brochures!!!

We too share your open-mindedness about enjoying different cultures and accepting the way they do things. I've seen quite a number of negative reports about Morocco but we thoroughly enjoyed out trip to Taroundant - although I must say I felt happier on an organised trip here.

When we're not interested in buying anything, we generally find a smile and polite 'no thank-you' has been respected most places we've visited. At the end of the day, the tourist trade is so important to them and the cash brought in by cruise passengers absolutely critical to their economy so it's no wonder they are a bit persistent. But your response to that is an attitude of mind - we enjoy the markets and a little haggling and especially absorbing the culture and atmosphere.

However, I have heard of some scams and rather unsettling tales from travellers so it's a matter of striking a balance. Enjoy, but be sensible and take reasonable precautions and if necessary, go on an excursion if independent travel doesn't seem to be the best option (or you aren't too confident about DiY). But I'd never subscribe to the 'don't get off the ship' mentality. Why go all that way and not see what's there or get a flavour of the culture? We've been to some ports which have not been great and perhaps we wouldn't choose to return - but we always seem to find something of interest and which adds to our bank of holiday memories.

You both seem to be of like mind - enjoy the places and culture. Happy travelling!! :)

The nile boat we use only had buffet meals. There was a large salad counter, a soup option and a huge selection of breads. Lunch and dinner comprised 4 or 5 different hot options plus rice or pasta, vegetables and potatoes. Hot options included a fish choice, usually a stew of some sort and various others. There was often a 'British' type option such as shepherds pie. Vegetarians didn't fare too well but food was plain and well cooked. There was also a large selection of desserts, often cakes and pastries.

Even picky eaters would be able to find something they could eat.

Yes we had very similar with Discover Egypt...we avoided the salads and stuck to the casserole type dishes which were lovely with vegetables...there was also lots of fresh fruit, dates and citrus fruits.

They were very proud of their hygiene certificates which adorned the walls ...and you could not enter the dining room without using the hand gel !

We did the 4T+ nile discoverywith Thomsons last november and the food and service was very good, all the main trips included, and we stayed an extra week in luxor at the Sonesta St George which is the best place to stay in luxor in our opinion. lovely.If you like Thomsons then that is the one to do.

Archived