Cafe Latte-tudes - Free Pastries?

Tabbymom

I know they charge for the specialty coffees at Latte-Tudes, but is it like Cafe Promenade where the pastries are free? Also, do they have the cannisters of regular coffee for no fee? Cafe Promnade had the best free coffee on the ship!

I know they charge for the specialty coffees at Latte-Tudes, but is it like Cafe Promenade where the pastries are free? Also, do they have the cannisters of regular coffee for no fee? Cafe Promnade had the best free coffee on the ship!

We were recently on the Jewel of the Seas and there was no charge for the cakes and pastries at Latte'tudes, but they did not have the regular coffee for no fee, as we experienced in Cafe Promenade on the Independence.

Last week on Radiance, my husband asked for a donut and was told they were only for those who bought coffee. It was not that way on the Liberty in August.

That's strange. On our Oct. 24 cruise on Radiance, I got pastries twice (2 different days), no coffee, and wasn't charged :confused:.

Free coffee is sure to still be available on the ship - I don't think they ever offered it at Cafe Latte-tudes. We were told the same - a pastry, dessert or sweet with the purchase of a specialty coffee. Doesn't have to be an adult coffee; an espresso shot will do.

At least on my last trip, the patries were the very same as the ones offered in Windjammers and elsewhere on the ship.

Edited by VentureForth

We got free pastries many mornings on the Rhapsody from 9/30/09 - 11/3/09. We also got them on the Monarch, Serenade, and the Enchantment.

They are supposed to be free on all the ships and do not require a coffee purchase. If they tell you that, I would comment on it to Customer Relations, telling them there are many other ships in the fleet that do not require a purchase.

If they have pineapple turnovers, they are yummy. DH would get one before going to the Jammer for breakfast most mornings.

We got free pastries many mornings on the Rhapsody from 9/30/09 - 11/3/09. We also got them on the Monarch, Serenade, and the Enchantment.

They are supposed to be free on all the ships and do not require a coffee purchase. If they tell you that, I would comment on it to Customer Relations, telling them there are many other ships in the fleet that do not require a purchase.

If they have pineapple turnovers, they are yummy. DH would get one before going to the Jammer for breakfast most mornings.

Mmmm Pineapple turnovers sound great. Hopefully they will have them on the Serenade.

I am glad someone posted this! I have been wondering if I can get my coffee, as I have heard that the MDR and Windjammer coffees are less than desirable. We will be on the Majesty of the Seas in Feb and I know I'm going to want either my iced coffee or a good hot chocolate most mornings to get my caffeine intake in. And a free pastry with it is a great bonus!

That's strange. On our Oct. 24 cruise on Radiance, I got pastries twice (2 different days), no coffee, and wasn't charged :confused:.

I was on the Radiance 10/29 cruise. The first time i went, i asked the gal if the pastries were free. She said, yes they are complimentary and served me.

Then next time i went i was told that i could have the free pastry this time but next time, i have to buy a cup of coffee!

I was on the Radiance 10/29 cruise. The first time i went, i asked the gal if the pastries were free. She said, yes they are complimentary and served me.

Then next time i went i was told that i could have the free pastry this time but next time, i have to buy a cup of coffee!

That's when I smile and tell her that I know she's just doing what her manager told her to do, and I would question the change in policy with Customer Relations. It's silly to make you buy something at the coffee bar when pastries everywhere else on the ship are free.

Frankly, if you give the server a dollar the first time you get one, I would bet there will be free ones for the rest of your cruise......... :D

That's when I smile and tell her that I know she's just doing what her manager told her to do, and I would question the change in policy with Customer Relations. It's silly to make you buy something at the coffee bar when pastries everywhere else on the ship are free.

Frankly, if you give the server a dollar the first time you get one, I would bet there will be free ones for the rest of your cruise......... :D

It's amazing how far a buck can go on a cruise ship! :D

I was wondering if anyone has had experience with this on the Serenade. I know DH would LOVE doughnuts and pastries, but he is definitely not a coffee drinker and would never buy coffee anywhere, especially not overpriced on a cruise ship.

We were on the Serenade in May of 2008 and there was a sign up at Lattitudes stating that the pastries were for those purchasing a beverage only. Having sailed on Voyager class ships previously, we found this really confusing since the same types of pastries were free at the Promenade cafe. Normally we would just go to the buffet to get something similar but it was a pain when the buffet was closed.

I hope you have better luck than we did!

I thought that Cafe Promenade would have (aside from Lattetudes) an area whrere they had free coffee, hot tea, and hot chocolate plus you can order from a counter a variety of free pastries, pizza, etc etc

is this not the case any longer? Please dont tell me that! I used to love going before my second seating dinner (around 6PM) and having a cup of coffee and a small finger sandwich...

I thought that Café Promenade would have (aside from Lattetudes) an area whrere they had free coffee, hot tea, and hot chocolate plus you can order from a counter a variety of free pastries, pizza, etc etc

is this not the case any longer? Please dont tell me that! I used to love going before my second seating dinner (around 6PM) and having a cup of coffee and a small finger sandwich...

Everything is free at Café Promenade. 24/7. ;)

Where you buy the specialty coffee is separate from the Café Promenade.

Every ship I sailed on, I had to purchase the regular coffees at the specialty coffee places. I also had to buy a coffee to get a pastry. They were not free and it said so.

On one ship. I did see the person behind the counter give them away free to children with parents at night time. Probably because he knew they would not be put out the next day and would otherwise go to waste.

Edited by Alexis

Is there still a free coffee/tea/hot coco stand at café promenade that you can pour your own coffee?

I refuse to pay for coffee on a cruise...that is the ultimate nickle and diming IMHO

Thanks!

Yes, it is still there and it is free.

• 6 years later...

I have taken four cruises on Vision-class ships. On all of them (and as recently as two weeks ago) baked goods at Latte-tudes were free.

For anyone told no, you can tell the person working there or Guest Services that the Royal website has Latte-tudes listed under complimentary dining (with a note that specialty coffees cost).

It is, or at least is supposed to be) the same as getting something from the Solarium bistro or Promenade Cafe.

Thanks - guess I'll just have to see how generous they are on the Enchantment! But I will miss the free coffee.

we were on her in October.. We didn't pay for pastries. I did not, however, see the "free" coffee. Hope this helps.. We'll be on her again this October... Will check again... lol