Another cell phone question

Konagal

This question might have an obvious answer but I don't know what it is so will ask anyway. I understand that cell phone charges from the ship are something like $2.99 a minute. What about if the ship hasn't left Los Angeles yet? or when it's docked in FLL before we disembark? Is that at regular cell phone rates?

Usually when the ship is docked in a port, or at disembarkation they have their onboard cell tower off so you would just pay the regular cell rates, but I would ask when you get onboard just to be safe. Also go to your cell providers web-site and there they may list specific ships for Princess and the rates you will pay (I know they list them on AT&T) Of course these are the rates when at sea. You also may need to make sure that you have international roaming turned on with your account, as its not necessarily automatic and if you are new to a provider they may even stipulate that you have to be with them for 6 months before you can roam internationally. Also, usually if you pay a monthly fee ($4.95 on AT&T I think) you can get lower per minute rates while roaming and calling Internationally. Just make sure before you cancel this monthly service that all the calls you made while away have been billed already because AT&T will bill you at the normal rate if the charge comes in and you've cancelled this monthly service.

This question might have an obvious answer but I don't know what it is so will ask anyway. I understand that cell phone charges from the ship are something like $2.99 a minute. What about if the ship hasn't left Los Angeles yet? or when it's docked in FLL before we disembark? Is that at regular cell phone rates?

I have Sprint and whenever we're in a U.S. port, the calls just go through as if I were at home. I am including St. Thomas and San Juan into this answer, because it's a local call from there too. So yes, Los Angeles is just a regular call.

You shouldn't have to ask, you should be able to tell by looking at your cell phone. If it says AT&T or whatever your carrier is, you're all set. If it says anything else, roaming charges may apply. Princess used to use MCP as their cell service provider, and whenever we were at sea, that is what our cell phones would say. But Princess is required to turn off their tower within a few miles of shore, and then either your carrier or a roaming carrier's name will appear.

Archived