Going on first cruise! Need Ideas on proposing on the ship! Getting Married!

fmjets11

Yea I think it is definitely going to be something private she is not one to draw attention to her self it makes her very nervous. But I just dont know how to get alone on the deck? I really wish I could find someone going on the cruise that could get it photographed or something still thinking about that kind of idea.

If you check out the Roll Call for your sailing you can probably find someone who would be glad to photograph your proposal. I know I was glad to help surprise a little boy with a cruise a few years ago :). Like your GF, I'd hate to be the center of attention :eek: in public so I think a sunset proposal would be wonderful!

I think maybe after I propose I can have someone announce it somewhere? I dont know...she might not even like that!

If you want you can send a note to the Cruise Director and he or she will usually announce your engagement wherever you want (on the Morning Show, in a bar, in the showroom...).

If I take rose petals w/ me wouldnt they go bad? lol Well, you'll just have to propose the first night :D

Have a wonderful cruise, whatever you decide!

You can take wine on board? is there a certain process to do so?

Yes, you can bring a bottle of wine or champagne per adult on on board. Just put it in your carry on luggage to keep it from breaking :)! They'll probably check it out to be sure it's not hard liquor, but then you'll be fine.

FMjets - You can take one or two bottles of wine on board. Just be sure to take a corkscrew to open it. As for the rose petals, you can go to a craftstore and get artificial one's. Then, if she's crafty or wants to keep them, she can do that. Maybe send her off to get a massage the first/second day while you're setting up the room?

Like others have said, you know her best, so would she want public or private? I wish you all the best! And congrats!

you can bring the wine in either a suitcase or carryon-just be sure to wrap it carefully (and maybe put it in a plastic bag as well) so that it doesn't break. I would put it in my carryon just because sometimes the airport throws those suitcases around.

Also, have you seen "Meet the Parents?" Be sure to put the ring in your carryon and not your checked luggage. My fiancee somehow snuck the ring into our carryons when I wasn't looking, and I never noticed it in there between the airport and when we were unpacking! He was sneaky for sure!

Be careful where, and when you do it. I have heard horror stories of the ring going over board because the girl did not realize there was a ring! Also, I suggest avoiding the ring in the wine/champagne glass. First of all, it is tacky and over done. Second, she may not notice and choke or swallow the ring! BAD IDEA!

I like the idea of sunrise or sunset. Pick your location, as some island are much more beautiful to sail into or away from.

I don't think it will be that hard for you to find a private or semi-private area on deck, especially if you go in the early evening when other people are at shows/dinner, etc.

Another option, although it is not completely private, but because you wanted someone to get a picture of it, is to find another passenger and ask them to take the a picture of the two of you on deck, with the ocean in the background. After they take one, say, "Wait, could you take one more?" and then just when they are about to take it, get down on one knee with the ring.

I think I am going to order some custom wine glasses saying the date our names.

This is the part I am a little sketchy on....can I take the champagne up to the top deck or only in my room? I was thinkin about takin the glasses up top and watching the sunset and proposing.

Then come back to the room to find rose petals and cake?

What do you guys think about that? If I told carnival about the occasion do they give you a free cake or anything?

Definitely make sure you wrap the bottle tightly! Put it in like 4 or 5 plastic bags and wrap some clothes (pjs, bathing suit, etc.) around it--you would hate for it to explode all over your stuff before you got to propose. I think you take it up on deck. Don't try to do anything that isn't "you." Just be yourself and it will be a wonderful moment for you both!

For packing wine, I wrapped it WELL in a couple of plastic bags, then put one bottle in each arm of an old sweatshirt, and packed other soft stuff around it. Worked fine.

IIRC, some cruise lines are very picky about bringing alcohol aboard, while others are less so. Princess allows a couple of bottles of wine, but that's as far as my experience goes.

Chat with the ship as soon as you get in - the idea of having your cabin prepped is awesome... rose petals, chocolate dipped strawberries. Get them to get you a REAL bottle of champagne or sparkling and not the complimentary garbage they sometimes give you.

Does your cruise line have one of the "alternative" restaurants? (Like Pinnacle on HAL or Sterling on Princess?) The crowds are little more intimate in there, softer lighting, etc. That way you could propose over dinner, perhaps the cake idea someone else mentioned, and then get down on one knee. That way, you do "share it with others" in there, but it's not a big spectacle.

Don't choose a public setting unless you're damn sure she's going to say yes! You don't want to publicly humiliate both of you for the remainder of the cruise!

Don't do it in the cabin unless you have a balcony. You should have the cabin all prepared with the champagne, chocolates etc for when you return. For a tip the cabin stewards will help you.

DH proposed in one of the specialty restaurants on formal night. The matre'd was in on it. We had a secluded corner booth. The waitress brought out dessert under silver domes. My ring was under the dome. She lifted the cover & DH asked me to marry him. When I said yes they brought over more wine & a rose for me. DH had organized the wine; the rose was actually the hostess' idea. :)

I have heard of guys popping the question in front of the ships photographers so the moment is captured forever.

On our HM, a guy proposed to his FI at a beautiful tourist vista. He waited for her to say how beautiful the spot was. As she was looking around, he got down on one knee, told her she was more beutiful than the view & asked her to marry him.

Don't do it in the cabin unless you have a balcony. You should have the cabin all prepared with the champagne, chocolates etc for when you return. For a tip the cabin stewards will help you.

DH proposed in one of the specialty restaurants on formal night. The matre'd was in on it. We had a secluded corner booth. The waitress brought out dessert under silver domes. My ring was under the dome. She lifted the cover & DH asked me to marry him. When I said yes they brought over more wine & a rose for me. DH had organized the wine; the rose was actually the hostess' idea. :)

I have heard of guys popping the question in front of the ships photographers so the moment is captured forever.

On our HM, a guy proposed to his FI at a beautiful tourist vista. He waited for her to say how beautiful the spot was. As she was looking around, he got down on one knee, told her she was more beutiful than the view & asked her to marry him.[/quote]

Even though that line is a little cheesy, I would totally melt.

being the dufus that I am I would bring along a tripod to take my own picture.....my favourite picture of my wife is on our wedding day...hired a photographer but took my own afterwards...setting up the camera on the tripod and took a long time...took one of she who must be obeyed looking annoyed in her wedding dress..a classic

Hmm. I see a mix here, so here are my thoughts.

PRIVATE proposal. You know her. It could be at a fancy restaurant or stumbling up a stairs. Think of something that is totally yours, and see if you can find something like that. The public thing isn't all that wonderful....as you have seen in other people's thoughts.

When she says YES? The rose petal thing is lovely in the suite, even if silk petals. But then carry it through.

What color would mean the most to her?). Find a garland (like an Hawaiian lei) in the SAME petals/flowers and order two - you will become the ENGAGEMENT people whenever people see this on yuour special cruise. This gives you the private moment, then have a lot of fun to share....

And after she says YES, TALK to the cruise people to get an announcement at something public.

Please share the results to all your adopted "aunts and uncles" who are sharing all this advice....

I don't think it will be that hard for you to find a private or semi-private area on deck, especially if you go in the early evening when other people are at shows/dinner, etc.

Another option, although it is not completely private, but because you wanted someone to get a picture of it, is to find another passenger and ask them to take the a picture of the two of you on deck, with the ocean in the background. After they take one, say, "Wait, could you take one more?" and then just when they are about to take it, get down on one knee with the ring.

Wow! I like this one a lot, simple but gets the reaction on film without her knowing what is to come. Go for it!

Archived