Changing cabins and embarkation

bkecky

So I am doing a back to back to back cruise on QV but the first cruise I am sailing alone in a Britannia stateroom. For the second and third parts my family are coming on board and I will be changing to a Queens Grill stateroom. My question is what exactly do I do for the first call in Southampton. Do I have to get off the ship and embark again with my family? Where do I put all my luggage during this time (because I will have to wait for the new cabin to be cleared)? We have booked with different travel agents so whilst the second and third parts of the voyage were booked together, mine is booked completely separately. Also what happens with my cruise card if I am changing cabins? I realise this is an odd scenario but any contributions would be greatly appreciated.

So I am doing a back to back to back cruise on QV but the first cruise I am sailing alone in a Britannia stateroom. For the second and third parts my family are coming on board and I will be changing to a Queens Grill stateroom. My question is what exactly do I do for the first call in Southampton. Do I have to get off the ship and embark again with my family? Where do I put all my luggage during this time (because I will have to wait for the new cabin to be cleared)? We have booked with different travel agents so whilst the second and third parts of the voyage were booked together, mine is booked completely separately. Also what happens with my cruise card if I am changing cabins? I realise this is an odd scenario but any contributions would be greatly appreciated.

Bkecky, I recommend you contact your travel advisor with whom you booked the QG portion of the cruise and ask them about your circumstances. He or she stands the most to gain in commissions, and should be most interested in helping your solve the problem.

If your unable to get an answer from the TA, I would recommend you ring Cunard and make your inquiry.

Best Mike.

We did a back to back and needed to change cabins. We packed up our small items and left the suitcases on our beds. We left our hanging items in the closets. We left for our excursion and when we reboarded we immediately went to the purser for a new room key then went up to our new room. They had moved all of our items and they were put exactly where we had left them, only in the new room. Hanging things hanging in new closets, etc. We did make it as easy as possible by having everything organized. Was very easy. We had asked at the purser what we should do and we were told they have large rolling wardrobes they bring in and move everything into new room and put it away. They are used to doing this. No sweat really.

I'll concur with the above post. It's a very easy thing to do and I'd guess they do it no differently on QV than they do on QM2. I did this in August after a transatlantic to Germany continuing on to Norway. The purser's office is aware thsi is happening and you will receive a note to contact housekeeping to let them know.

We took a day trip in Hamburg after packing loose items and all was neatly arranged in the closets in our new cabin on return. No hassle...new card easily provided at the Purser's office. You will use your original card if you get off for the day to return onto the ship....at that point you go directly to teh purser to get the new one for the new cabin.

I'd have no problem if I had to do this again someday. They are very accomodating.

Cheers,Penny

Penny’s Affair to Remember QM2 Review

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=471053

November 10,2007...the “Affair” continued...did it ever!

October 16,2008...the “Affair” goes transatlantic as we sail in tandem with the grand QE2 on her final transatlantic voyage...what a thrill!

December 9, 2008....the “Affair” resumes again....Life is good!

July 30, 2009....transatlantic again...some “Affairs” just get better

August 7, 2009....the “Affair” goes on...this time “home” to Norway

Feb 2010....the “Affair” takes a sunny detour...

2010....the “Affair” is indecisive, but back to QM2 for 14 days somewhere

If you book a back to back transatlantic crossings and book them in two separate bookings, does this affect the intransit procedure? Do you still go to the purser for your new card, or do you have to check in again at the port?

It makes no difference, you just pick up the key when you reboard assuming that you have changed cabins.

If you book a back to back transatlantic crossings and book them in two separate bookings, does this affect the intransit procedure? Do you still go to the purser for your new card, or do you have to check in again at the port?

hi girlfriend....on the Norway trip my bookings were separate,thus the need to change cabins as they'd been booked months apart when we decided to cross. On our intransit day in Hamburg we had a tour booked for 5 hours. I had everything ready in the cabin, left and returned just as any returning passenger after an intransit day.

The only check in was with the purser on our return and that was just to pick up the new card. The gal there indicated to me that I was not to worry about a thing as the computers showed my bookings as linked....thus no problem reboarding with my old card. I also received an additional 2 hours computer time for the new cabin booking....2 separate trips it seems in their books.

let me know if you need more info and we can chat offline as usual....

Cheers, Penny

Penny’s Affair to Remember QM2 Review

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=471053

November 10,2007...the “Affair” continued...did it ever!

October 16,2008...the “Affair” goes transatlantic as we sail in tandem with the grand QE2 on her final transatlantic voyage...what a thrill!

December 9, 2008....the “Affair” resumes again....Life is good!

July 30, 2009....transatlantic again...some “Affairs” just get better

August 7, 2009....the “Affair” goes on...this time “home” to Norway

Feb 2010....the “Affair” takes a sunny detour...

2010....the “Affair” is indecisive, but back to QM2 for 14 days somewhere

It makes no difference, you just pick up the key when you reboard assuming that you have changed cabins.

Thanks so much, Cap'n. Thanks also for your recent "live from" thread on the QM2 crossing. Your writing makes one feel as if they are traveling with you on a wonderful journey.

Beth

Right that certainly sheds some light on the topic. Thanks for everyone's input. I was beginning to think that everyone was as clueless as me on the matter! Certainly doesn't sound as complicated as I had anticipated!

We have done just that. We travelled Britannia Class from Southampton to NYC, then moved to a Q6 for the Carribean sailing. As a previous poster stated, we packed our cases, apart from our hanging stuff. We kept our original key cards, got off the ship and went through US immigration. We then got a taxi into NYC and on our return reboarded with our original keycards. We then went straight to the Concierge Lounge and were given new keycards for our Suite. Our cases were on the bed and all our hanging stuff was in the walk in wardrobe. We had two separate bookings for this trip and it was really easy. They also supply you with a letter a few days before the end of your first trip, which you have to keep with you to reboard. Have fun. Sue

Hi Sue. My mother's family's name is "Overend". I wonder if we're related to you or your husband - depending on whose name it is? I have an email that you could use to contact me. It is cwshops-overend@yahoo.com that I've used for geneology searches.

Cathie

My experience was a bit different than Sue's (Hi Sue!)

I had a single booking that preceded a double booking.

There was no problem transferring from one stateroom to the other - I just packed my personal items and took them to the new room, letting the butler know what I was doing. Clothing was transfered by staff - even the flowers.

I had to disembark and reboard the ship in NYC for security reasons - no problem getting back on board.

The fun began around noon when I got a call from my partner saying they had no record of the booking, even though he had the booking number AND the ticket.

The Concierge in the Grills Lounge was most helpful in getting my partner on board. Getting the on board credit and tour bookings straightened out took a few days - glad I had my laptop with all the emails from Cunard detailing the above. In the end it all worked out but it was not a fun experience.

In short, if your cruise card had your entire voyage dates on it I would check with the purser to make sure your family has not been "dropped".

It would probably be best to re check in with your family in Soton - we had a problem with one card working and the other not - each time one card got programmed, it knocked the other off - had to get both cards done at the same time

Oh yes, bring copies of all your confirmations from Cunard with you if you have them or get them from your travel agent.

Hope this helps - the move really was painless - enjoy your voyages!

Crane

Archived