Jewel Outside Cabins - Question

PEPI2

I am wondering what you all think.

An obsctructed outside cabin (Category G) has a full size window, is a bit larger, and is on a higher deck than an unobstructed outside cabin (Category F). The unobstructed has a small porthole window, is a little smaller and is on the lowest deck.

The unobstructed porthole is only $60 more. It is a higher cabin category.

Which would you go with??

I am thinking we will likely get more day light in the obstructed cabin and should keep our $60...but am interested in hearing your opinions.

Thanks!!

I think that you will get more light in the obstructed view cabin than the porthole cabin. The obstructions are the life boats and their davits, but they are not right up against the window. The obstructed view cabins are inset from the side of the ship, whereas the porthole cabins are flush with the side of the ship. The obstructed view windows can be opened...the portholes can too, but will have to be closed and covered when the seas are rough (you won't be able to see out in that case).

here is a picture that shows a typical obstruced view cabin window view....you can look out to the horizon, but not down to the sea.

http://pictures.cruisecritic.com/data/509/medium/Lifeboat-3914.jpg

I am wondering what you all think.

An obsctructed outside cabin (Category G) has a full size window, is a bit larger, and is on a higher deck than an unobstructed outside cabin (Category F). The unobstructed has a small porthole window, is a little smaller and is on the lowest deck.

The unobstructed porthole is only $60 more. It is a higher cabin category.

Which would you go with??

I am thinking we will likely get more day light in the obstructed cabin and should keep our $60...but am interested in hearing your opinions.

Thanks!!

DH and I went with an obstructed view, floor plan looks like it's between the life boats. I figured some day light is better than total darkness and I prefer the higher decks. (Of course total darkness is better than not cruising)

I think that you will get more light in the obstructed view cabin than the porthole cabin. The obstructions are the life boats and their davits, but they are not right up against the window. The obstructed view cabins are inset from the side of the ship, whereas the porthole cabins are flush with the side of the ship. The obstructed view windows can be opened...the portholes can too, but will have to be closed and covered when the seas are rough (you won't be able to see out in that case).

here is a picture that shows a typical obstruced view cabin window view....you can look out to the horizon, but not down to the sea.

http://pictures.cruisecritic.com/data/509/medium/Lifeboat-3914.jpg

Wow..thanks for the great photo! We were able to get a uobstructed cabin between 2 life boats. We will definately feel like we are on a boat! But it beats an inside cabin and does look like it will be better than that porthole.:)

DH and I went with an obstructed view, floor plan looks like it's between the life boats. I figured some day light is better than total darkness and I prefer the higher decks. (Of course total darkness is better than not cruising)

I am with you! I have done inside rather than stay home in the past. The obstructed looks okay to me and I also like their location on the ship.

Do all the outside cabins on deck 4 have portholes????

It looks that way to me and the cruise line told me that Category F and the others on that deck have portholes. Need to note though that the brochure says "may have porthole".

Wonder why it says "may".

Not all obstructed view cabins have that nice big picture window. We are just off the Jewel Repo (10/30/09 sailing) and our friends were in 8584. We were supposed to be right next door but upgraded prior to sailing to a BA balcony (THANK GOD).

8584 has something like a beam running down the middle of the outside wall. Instead of a nice picture window as posted above, there were 2 small elongated windows (my friend called them glorified portholes). They let very little light into the room and there was pretty much no view except the workers walking on the catwalk which happened almost every day. She said she kept the blinds closed ALL the time, and it was really like being in an inside cabin.

by the way 8584, on the ship's floor plan, appeared to be BETWEEN 2 life boats. This was not the case, so use the floor plans found online as a general guide. They are NOT accurate.

I will check with my friend to see if she took a picture of the inside of 8584 and post it here.

Not all obstructed view cabins have that nice big picture window. We are just off the Jewel Repo (10/30/09 sailing) and our friends were in 8584. We were supposed to be right next door but upgraded prior to sailing to a BA balcony (THANK GOD).

8584 has something like a beam running down the middle of the outside wall. Instead of a nice picture window as posted above, there were 2 small elongated windows (my friend called them glorified portholes). They let very little light into the room and there was pretty much no view except the workers walking on the catwalk which happened almost every day. She said she kept the blinds closed ALL the time, and it was really like being in an inside cabin.

by the way 8584, on the ship's floor plan, appeared to be BETWEEN 2 life boats. This was not the case, so use the floor plans found online as a general guide. They are NOT accurate.

I will check with my friend to see if she took a picture of the inside of 8584 and post it here.

It would love to see a picture if there is one. I'm booked in a cabin which looks to be "between" the life boats.

Thanks for this information. Norwegian does not tell you this when you call. They just said the obstructed cabins have a picture window. So thanks for the heads up! Would be great to see that photo too if your friend did take one. Thanks again.

Archived