Dunns River Falls-just to see

Joie

Is it possible to travel to Dunn's River Falls just ot see it?

I know we would not want to climb the Falls, but would like to see it.

If so....how wold you do that....cab, or tour and just not climb the falls???

Is it possible to travel to Dunn's River Falls just ot see it?

I know we would not want to climb the Falls, but would like to see it.

If so....how wold you do that....cab, or tour and just not climb the falls???

Well, you would do it just the same way.... DRF is a park and the excursion cost covers the same thing you'd pay on your own (but marked up)

You need to get there so there's a taxi or shuttle fee

and a park entrance fee which as I see it on their web page is currently $15 US per person

http://www.dunnsriverja.com/rates.php

there is no sep' charge for climbing the falls...it is simply a one day entry fee for the park. (which is why a 1 climb excusion is a BAD deal...you pay for a DAY...enjoy it)

If you don't want to climb, there is a walkway with stairs that runs along-side the falls with observation points, and intermediate entry/exit points along the way. Some of these lead into pools where you can still enjoy the falls with no rock climbing (i.e. sitting in the cool rushing water in a pool..water cascading from above and spilling out below.) But NOTE - you need to climb stairs and sloped walkways to enjoy this.

Thanks .... I think we are going to do the Dolphin Cove and Dunn River Falls tour....both are just walk around and see tours it sounds like. Just want to see the falls and the pretty foilage.......and look around and take pics. Kids are ziplining....NOT for me.

I am in the minority of people who think Dunn River Falls are a horrible tourist trap and are not worth the time to go see it. They "falls" are actually cascades, and pretty artificial at that. The "rocks" are concrete.

I'd skip these falls and go to real waterfalls in the mountains in the U.S. if I were you.

I am in the minority of people who think Dunn River Falls are a horrible tourist trap and are not worth the time to go see it. They "falls" are actually cascades, and pretty artificial at that. The "rocks" are concrete.

I'd skip these falls and go to real waterfalls in the mountains in the U.S. if I were you.

But that's hard because they will be in Jamaica.

Hmmmm mixed feelings. Well if we do the Carnival tour to Dolphin Cove then it's part of the tour. It does not include climbing the falls, so not sure what else there is to do except look at it.......probably not there for very long.

Maybe we would be better off just taking a cab over to Dolphin Cove and spending the day there.........anyone know how far the Dolphin Cove is by taxi?

Publicpersona makes some good points. However, on a cruise excursion, you may not have time to visit the "real" waterfalls. They're not nearly as close by as Dunn's River Falls. True, they're mostly cascades and the beaten path has poured concrete to make it a safer climb. Nonetheless, Dunn's River Falls is a truly beautiful spot. There's a review about them that tells how to make the most of your time there at http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/2329270/review_of_dunns_river_falls_ocho_rios.html?cat=16. There are some tips mentioned that help you avoid the tourist trap parts.

Anyways, if you want to go, go! Many people think they're fabulous.

• 2 months later...

Archived