Zip line - Ocho Rio or Cozumel

Joie

A couple in our party want to zipline. We will be in Cozumel and Ocho Rios....which is better?

They also wanted to visit Dolphin Cove in Ocho Rios, but won't have time if they zipline there....but they are afraid that Cozumel won't be as cool to zipline at.

Anyone done these and can tell me any info?

Thanks in advance.

My first time zip-lining was in Ochos Rios and it was very cool. You drive up into the hills and go through the canopy, it was pretty neat. (Although compared to other ziplines I've done since, it's actually pretty tame as far as zip lining goes...)

Now, we have been to the Dolphin places in both Ochos and Cozumel and the one at Chankanaab in Cozumel was a way better experience. Just seemed the staff was better trained and very organized. On the con side, you're herded through like cattle, whereas the Ochos one was far less crowded.

DH and I did the Original Canopy Tour zip line through Chukka Cove Farm in Ocho Rios when we were on the Mariner of the Seas in January 2006.

Loved it and would do it again if we had the chance.

I know I gave a detailed review of our experience, over on the Jamaica board I believe it was. You could do a search and I'm sure you'd get several reviews about it to read.

thank you. Sounds like Ocho Rios is the best. Others might now be as scenic. How was the drive up to the start? I have only been on one drive up to a garden of some kind many years ago, and it was a very WILD ride....scary to say the least.

There are two zip lines places in O.R., Mystic Mt is the better but more expensive tour, it is right not to Dunns River Falls (DRF)

Are you going to grand cayman too? I went to both plus Grand Cayman, and never did the zip lines in any but greatly wish I had.

I did the dolphins in Coz, Ray Reef and rum beach point tour in GC and Dunns River Falls and tubing in O.R.; all book independently. If I could do it all over again:

Coz: Mayan Ruins booked through the ship.

G.C.: Find the earliest place to bring you to string ray city and the reefs, than head to dolphin discover for the swim, you also would get to see the turtle farm.

O.R.: Taxi a govt taxi (red license plate) to DRFs, they will provide you a guide. After finishing the tour, take one of the many waiting taxis to Mystic Mt, about 5mins away. Do the zip lining, potentially other things such as bobsled depending on time and taxi it back to the ship.

The ride up is like a ski lift. You stand on your mark, the 4-person chair slides in behind you and a bar is dropped over your lap. You're not buckled in, but the chair isn't wiggly like a ferris wheel chair is. On the way up you get a breathtaking view of the harbour. You go over all kinds of vegetation. We saw banana trees and other fruit trees and lots of flowers. At the top you jump off and can either "bobsled" down the mountain, or zip-line down. The bobsled is a single person car that goes down a track with lots of embankments. You do have control of the speed with hand breaks. I think they can link two together if there is a child going by themself in the car with an adult in another car. The guides that my kids and I had for the zipine were great. They were funny and entertaining, but they definitely knew what they were doing. One woman got scarred part way through and they slowed it down for her and talked her through it. The ziplines end part way down the mountain, and one of the guides rode the lift down the rest of the way so she wouldn't be alone. They were great and earned their tip. Mystic Mountain does have a website that you can search for; include Jamaica in your search. The cost is a little high, but it was worth it. It was the best part of the trip for my kids; they can't wait to go back. We did the excursion through Carnival, since it only cost a little more and it included transportation. Either way, you will probabaly not have the same driver to and from the ship. I didn't know that and I didn't tip the first driver when I should have. Oops! I haven't done the zipline in Coz or either dolphin excursion, but you can't go wrong with Mystic Mountain.

thanks for the inputs....great to know that O.R will be much better.

So on all the tours ( Carnival included ) it's a chair lift that takes you UP the mountain for the ziplining.....no bus or vehicle at all ???????

Archived