Help me with early booking questions....please!

Sdallnct

Having just gotten off the Valor last weekend I'm already thinking of our next cruise. But typically we don't book all that far out. But I'm thinking about doing it. I have looked but I'm not clear on how or all the benefits of the Early Saver bookings are.

Questions,

On the Early Saver you still get to pick your cabin, correct?

Can you put down a deposit only on Early Saver? Does that lock in the price? When must you be paid in full? I assume after putting down a deposit you can then go in the system from time to time and add more money to the amount due?

I'm assuming you can still buy insurance on Early Saver bookings? This is important to us because of my work.

Did I read correctly that you can change your dates/trips for a $50 PP fee?

Normally we book 2-3 months in advance. But I'm thinking I could totally surprise wife with a completely paid for trip without her ever knowing! Plus save some money!

Having just gotten off the Valor last weekend I'm already thinking of our next cruise. But typically we don't book all that far out. But I'm thinking about doing it. I have looked but I'm not clear on how or all the benefits of the Early Saver bookings are.

Questions,

On the Early Saver you still get to pick your cabin, correct? Yes

Can you put down a deposit only on Early Saver? Yes, $250 on a 7n cruise

Does that lock in the price? At that price, yes

When must you be paid in full? for a 7n cruise, 70 days before sailing, same as a regular booking

I assume after putting down a deposit you can then go in the system from time to time and add more money to the amount due? Yes, not sure if there is a minimum but yes you can make payments

I'm assuming you can still buy insurance on Early Saver bookings? Yes

This is important to us because of my work.

Did I read correctly that you can change your dates/trips for a $50 PP fee? yep, did this myself.. I did get the rest of the $200 applied directly to the next cruise (we were switching to just 2wk out), but I am not sure if you are supposed to be able to??

Normally we book 2-3 months in advance. But I'm thinking I could totally surprise wife with a completely paid for trip without her ever knowing! Plus save some money!

Valor was our first Carnival cruise in July.. LOVED IT! We normally book just 2 months in advance... but I knew we wanted a family cruise for late November, early December so before the 5month mark for booking went by, I booked.. even before I sailed Carnival. Thank God we liked it! I have had nothing but good luck! I will sail in 28 days with $670 in OBC for 6 of us, 2 rooms.

Questions,

On the Early Saver you still get to pick your cabin, correct?

Can you put down a deposit only on Early Saver? Does that lock in the price? When must you be paid in full? I assume after putting down a deposit you can then go in the system from time to time and add more money to the amount due?

I'm assuming you can still buy insurance on Early Saver bookings? This is important to us because of my work.

Did I read correctly that you can change your dates/trips for a $50 PP fee?

Yes, to picking your own cabin.

Yes, you can put down the deposit and have until final payment date which us usu sally 76 days before you sail.

Yes, you can buy travel insurance with an Early Saver booking.

Yes, you can change the dates/trips for a $50pp charge, but if you cancel you cruise entirely, you lose the deposit.

I have really liked the Early Saver, for one thing it saves you quite a bit on the cost of the cabin and two, I already have quite a bit as on OBC from price drops since I booked. You can continue to claim the price drops up until 2 days before you sail.

Hope this helps.

All of the above are true. I may be wrong, but, I don't think you're allowed to make any passenger changes once you book.

Look at all of the fine print before you make your ES decision.

Another thing to consider is how CCL has all those new categories, making a sell-out situation possible.(My 8G , which there were 20 units,was renamed 8N, which there are only six, and now sold out.)

Don't get me wrong, I booked almost right away after our last cruise , using ES for our next , and got a very nice discount since then. And, I picked the exact location I wanted, which is why I booked early in the first place.

I hope this "helps"!;)

Be aware your entire deposit is nonrefundable before you book. If you change, you can only change before final payment, and then it costs $50 pp and they hold the rest of your deposit until you book another cruise. You only have 1 year to book another cruise.

No name changes. ... this has come back to bite a lot of posters, who think they can change out a pax for $50. Absolutely no name changes are allowed.

After final payment regular cancellations penalties apply.

I'm assuming you can still buy insurance on Early Saver bookings? This is important to us because of my work.You can still buy insurance but by the sound of your question, there is a possibility that your job could make you need to cancel so I personally would never book early saver. Early saver is a great program if you know for a fact that you are going and no changes will be needed and aren't worried about losing any money on the deal. I think it is too risky due to many variables such as a sick child preventing you from going, a death in the family, an injury to you or your wife etc. Now you can buy the "cancel for any reason" insurance but it is expensive. Then I would say go for it.

I'm assuming you can still buy insurance on Early Saver bookings? This is important to us because of my work.You can still buy insurance but by the sound of your question, there is a possibility that your job could make you need to cancel so I personally would never book early saver. Early saver is a great program if you know for a fact that you are going and no changes will be needed and aren't worried about losing any money on the deal. I think it is too risky due to many variables such as a sick child preventing you from going, a death in the family, an injury to you or your wife etc. Now you can buy the "cancel for any reason" insurance but it is expensive. Then I would say go for it.

Well how is the insurance different than regular booking? I mean, I booked a cruise for our 15 year anniversary 2-3 months out. Than because of work I had to cancel. Insurance covered everything but the cost of the insurance (and some other small fee). (In fact, I canceled/rebook and had to cancel again).

Now in reality, if my work does make me cancel, MY WORK would reimburse me for any lost expenses that I could document. So technically I could skip the insurance. But because we do have kids, family, etc, we get the insurance for us as much as for work. But I realize my work would only ask me to cancel my vacation if really in dire straights, so I went to do my part by getting the insurance and being out a minimal amount of money if I have to cancel.

BTW, if work make me cancel it could be literally the day before departure.

Be aware your entire deposit is nonrefundable before you book. If you change, you can only change before final payment, and then it costs $50 pp and they hold the rest of your deposit until you book another cruise. You only have 1 year to book another cruise.

No name changes. ... this has come back to bite a lot of posters, who think they can change out a pax for $50. Absolutely no name changes are allowed.

After final payment regular cancellations penalties apply.

Fire: Good point, what I have done in the past is book myself and then the second passenger I book as TBD (to be determined) then when I know for certain I add the name to that person, no name change needed

We are on the Valor in January and we booked when we got off of the Freedom last January, we have had three price drops since, now that we have made final payment any drops would be OBC - still fine with me

Good information!

Name change would not be an issue. It would be wife and I or nothing.

So entire deposit is non-refundable. But can change the booking up to the final payment by paying $50 pp.

All of this seems pretty reasonable. Especially since you can still pick your cabin (we were stuck in a cabin with a terrible, terrible location once. Will never do that again!).

Correct - you pick your cabin, can change the sail date up to final payment, anytime the price goes down they lower your price until after the final payment then they issue OBC.

On our upcoming Valor cruise we have a balcony cabin for 739.99 per person, that is a great rate (Lido deck)

Well how is the insurance different than regular booking? I mean, I booked a cruise for our 15 year anniversary 2-3 months out. Than because of work I had to cancel. Insurance covered everything but the cost of the insurance (and some other small fee). (In fact, I canceled/rebook and had to cancel again).

Now in reality, if my work does make me cancel, MY WORK would reimburse me for any lost expenses that I could document. So technically I could skip the insurance. But because we do have kids, family, etc, we get the insurance for us as much as for work. But I realize my work would only ask me to cancel my vacation if really in dire straights, so I went to do my part by getting the insurance and being out a minimal amount of money if I have to cancel.

BTW, if work make me cancel it could be literally the day before departure.

Others can correct me if I'm wrong but most policies only cover cancelling if a person is sick or a death in the family, not for job reasons. Read the policy coverage to make sure but job loss or cuz the boss says so isn't usually a good reason. In fact, you can usually get out of jury duty when you say you have a cruise booked and will suffer a loss if you cancel. After final payment, normal cancellation penalties apply but up until final payment, you can cancel and only lose $50 if you book another cruise within a year otherwise you lose the whole enchilada. Not a risk I'm willing to take to save a few bucks. Just my opinion. Many have booked ES and love it. It works for them. Just not my thing. So far, I've never had to cancel a reservation that I made but I ain't takin any chances. Not usually that much difference in price to me.

Others can correct me if I'm wrong but most policies only cover cancelling if a person is sick or a death in the family, not for job reasons. .

I think Carnival insurance now has a policy to cover you for job loss. Ken posted the information somewhere, and it now has hurricane coverage that is new.

I think he said the job loss coverage started late last summer, forget the date.

All of the above are true. I may be wrong, but, I don't think you're allowed to make any passenger changes once you book.

Look at all of the fine print before you make your ES decision.

Another thing to consider is how CCL has all those new categories, making a sell-out situation possible.(My 8G , which there were 20 units,was renamed 8N, which there are only six, and now sold out.)

Don't get me wrong, I booked almost right away after our last cruise , using ES for our next , and got a very nice discount since then. And, I picked the exact location I wanted, which is why I booked early in the first place.

I hope this "helps"!;)

You can make name changes but it's $50 and then after final payment it is the $50 change fee plus the $250 deposit is lost.

You can make name changes but it's $50 and then after final payment it is the $50 change fee plus the $250 deposit is lost.

You cannot make name change either before or after final payment, not for $50, not ever once you book. You can cancel and lose your deposit either before or after final payment, but you cannot do a name change.

http://www.carnival.com/cms/fun/earlysaver/

Early Saver:

Cruise rates are in US dollars, per person, based on double occupancy, capacity controlled and subject to change at any time without prior notice. Government taxes and fees are additional for all guests. A non-refundable and non-transferable deposit is required at the time of booking for all guests to secure confirmed accommodations. Fares are backed by a unique price protection policy. Full names are required for each guest. Offer is valid for new bookings only and is not combinable with any other discounted or promotional offer. Available on sailings 3 months prior to sail date for short cruises (5 days or less) and available on sailings 5 months prior to sail date for long cruises (6 days or longer). Savings are based on Fun Select rates and vary by sailings. Category restrictions and exclusions apply. No name changes are allowed. A $50 service fee will be assessed per person for ship and/or sail date changes made prior to the final payment due date. Cancellation penalties apply.

No name changes doesnt mean only after final payment, it means you cannot change the name. Only change the date and ship and stuff for the $50 fee. ... but not the pax names. Carnival has been very strict regarding the no name changes.

You cannot make name change either before or after final payment, not for $50, not ever once you book. You can cancel and lose your deposit either before or after final payment, but you cannot do a name change.

http://www.carnival.com/cms/fun/earlysaver/

No name changes doesnt mean only after final payment, it means you cannot change the name. Only change the date and ship and stuff for the $50 fee. ... but not the pax names. Carnival has been very strict regarding the no name changes.

Yes you CAN with early saver. I booked an early saver in March for a cruise I am taking on 11/29. My boyfriend and I broke up and I decided to take my friend instead. I paid the cruise off months ago. Two weeks ago I called Carnival. I lost his $250 deposit and paid the $50 change fee plus a new $250 deposit for her and I was able to change the booking. It CAN be done because I JUST did it.

Yes you CAN with early saver. I booked an early saver in March for a cruise I am taking on 11/29. My boyfriend and I broke up and I decided to take my friend instead. I paid the cruise off months ago. Two weeks ago I called Carnival. I lost his $250 deposit and paid the $50 change fee plus a new $250 deposit for her and I was able to change the booking. It CAN be done because I JUST did it.

Those are the terms to cancel, as you just posted, you lost all his deposit... thats not the same as changing a name. If you cancel before the last 7 days, you lose your deposit, which is what happened.

You posted that you could change the name for $50, which you cant... you can cancel and pay the cancellation penalty and book someone else into the cabin.

Of course you can cancel ... not to be confused with paying $50 and nothing else to change a name.

The part I put in red is what is incorrect ... you always lose the deposit .. not just after final payment.

Even you posted, you lost the deposit and had to pay a new deposit for your friend.

What happened was they cancelled your bf out of the cabin and rebooked someone in his place ... and the cancellation terms and non refundability of the deposit terms came into play.

-------

the difference is on every other rate, for only $50, right up until you cruise, you can do a name change. The deposit is transferred to the new person.

The part I put in red is what is incorrect ... you always lose the deposit .. not just after final payment.

Even you posted, you lost the deposit and had to pay a new deposit for your friend.

What happened was they cancelled your bf out of the cabin and rebooked someone in his place ... and the cancellation terms and non refundability of the deposit terms came into play.

-------

the difference is on every other rate, for only $50, right up until you cruise, you can do a name change. The deposit is transferred to the new person.

My point though was that the rest of his fare DID transfer to a new person. They only took off the $250 and it was after the final payment date. THe regular cancellation terms didn't apply. None of the other should have transferred at that late date.

I think Carnival insurance now has a policy to cover you for job loss. Ken posted the information somewhere, and it now has hurricane coverage that is new.

I think he said the job loss coverage started late last summer, forget the date.

Yes and I am assuming it is expensive.......I know their regular medical was much more expensive then what I paid for travel guard........

This is where I think it defeats the price difference.......sure ES is a bit cheaper but then you pay the extra in insurance costs.......to me it totally defeats the purpose.......not to mention the added restrictions.......

My point though was that the rest of his fare DID transfer to a new person. They only took off the $250 and it was after the final payment date. THe regular cancellation terms didn't apply. None of the other should have transferred at that late date.

When did you cancel ... if if was more than 30 days in advance, you only lose the deposit. since I have no idea when you cancelled, or the length of your cruise... here are the terms. Same terms apply to ES as to any other rate once you are within penalty phase. ES does not have a different cancellation policy once you are after final payment.

http://www.carnival.com/CMS/FAQs/cancellation_policy.aspx

• 2 months later...

OK, I'm thinking of doing this (surprise wife with a fully paid for trip).

Trip would be early November. To pull it off I need to be able to make a deposit and than make periodic payments. Can I do it all on line or do I need to call? If I do, I'd probably want to set up in the next 30-60 days to be sure I had plenty of time to make the needed payments to pay off by, what...September???

Most important things to me,

Get to pick cabin

Buy insurance

Make deposits and than "lots" of small but regular payments towards the fare (again to keep all a surprise).

So call or do by net??? What else do I need to know?

I always book with my PVP, and pay the deposit on the phone.

I then will pay my cruise off in increments through the website, getting a confirmation email after each payment. That way I can pay on the weekends or in the late evening when my PVP is not working.

Archived