Cruising with My Travelscoot

nieciez

Sheila, Elizabeth Fisher has the larger seat. Here is the link to her blog if she doens't see this post: http://mytravelscoot.blogspot.com/ and she is on Facebook too. http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/elizbbw?ref=nf

Thanks, Denise! You'd given me that the other day...at least I think that's how I found her blog! She's a wealth of information as are you!

I'll check out Facebook too...although I'm being super careful...I had a virus the other day and the computer guy said it was from Facebook....$300 later.....

Both of my knees are artificial plus one ankle has been surgically fused. In addition, my ligament in one knee was comprised during surgery and has given me trouble since surgery 6 1/2 yrs ago but more so recently. We have a Transatlantic cruise with the Baltic included tentatively booked for the spring but I am concerned about my ability to enjoy some of the excursions if there is much walking. Then I hopped into the disability forum and found out about the Travelscooter. Have never heard of it before but it sounds like an ideal piece of equipment to own and I'm seriously considering purchasing it. I do have a concern and that is what happens to it on a plane. Because I will be flying into the States, restrictions are really tight right now and carry-ons are basically being eliminated. I wouldn't need this scooter all the time and would keep it packed up until we boarded the ship and would only use it for excursions. Think the packed size of this scooter might have qualified for a carry-on at one time but not now. Has anyone sent it with checked on luggage? What would be the odds of the bag getting crushed and the scooter permanently damaged? Do things like this get marked 'fragile' and stored separately from regular luggage? What do people do who use the larger electric scooters that don't collaspe?

Any advice you could give would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks a bunch. My hat's off to all of you who aren't letting mobility issues stand in your way of enjoying travel.

Sandy

Both of my knees are artificial plus one ankle has been surgically fused. In addition, my ligament in one knee was comprised during surgery and has given me trouble since surgery 6 1/2 yrs ago but more so recently. We have a Transatlantic cruise with the Baltic included tentatively booked for the spring but I am concerned about my ability to enjoy some of the excursions if there is much walking. Then I hopped into the disability forum and found out about the Travelscooter. Have never heard of it before but it sounds like an ideal piece of equipment to own and I'm seriously considering purchasing it. I do have a concern and that is what happens to it on a plane. Because I will be flying into the States, restrictions are really tight right now and carry-ons are basically being eliminated. I wouldn't need this scooter all the time and would keep it packed up until we boarded the ship and would only use it for excursions. Think the packed size of this scooter might have qualified for a carry-on at one time but not now. Has anyone sent it with checked on luggage? What would be the odds of the bag getting crushed and the scooter permanently damaged? Do things like this get marked 'fragile' and stored separately from regular luggage? What do people do who use the larger electric scooters that don't collaspe?

Any advice you could give would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks a bunch. My hat's off to all of you who aren't letting mobility issues stand in your way of enjoying travel.

Sandy

• First off the TravelScooter is a moibility scooter and falls under medical need. Therfore the airlines have to allow it . You can either ride it to the gate and have it gate checked . Than it will be returned to you at the gate upon arrival. Or you can have it checked at initial arrivals desk at the airport.
  • To minimize chances of it being damage it's generally recommended to gate check.
  • If checking at the main counter, have heard that the travelscoot will fit in some hard golf travel cases. This too will help to minimize chance of damage. You can often buy these hard shell golf cases used at garage sales.
  • The important thing to note is that the airlines cannot charge the baggage fee for a mobility scooter. The travelscoot travels free, whether gate checked or checked in at the arrival desks.
  • Check out the travel tips on Travelscoot's website http://www.travelscoot.com/tips.htm

The first time I flew with my brand new travelscoot (from Charlotte, NC to Anchorage with a stop in Dallas-Fort Worth) I chose to check it in at the arrivals desk. It was in the very nice heavy duty canvas bag that comes with the scooter. It was fine on the way to Alaska but on the return trip there was a good sized hole in the bag when it arrived at baggage claim but the scooter was fine. After we returned home from our Alaska cruisetour (where the scooter did great) we bought a hard sided golf bag for the scooter. We took the travelscoot with us to the sports store where we got the bag for about 100 to 125 dollars. We took the scoot with us to make sure it would fit. If you choose to buy a hard sided bag I have found that you will be asked to open the bag so the check in agent can see it is really mobility equipment. I have been doing more gate checking lately as my walking has been deteriorating but given the new security concerns I may rethink that and go back to letting the scooter be checked at the arrivals desk. I'm trying to decide if I would be happier having less "stuff" with me as I approach security.

I ordered my TravelScoot today, and plan to gate check it on JetBlue on 2/1. I had to call JetBlue anyway because their website was done and I couldn't print our itinerary...so told the nice young woman I spoke with about my TravelScoot, and she made note of it on our transaction....very sympathetic toward me because her father in law had hip replacement surgery before Christmas!

From all that I've read, it's very easy to gate check...and damage can be done if you check it with your luggage.

And congratulations Sheila on your purchase!

Thank you, Denise! I have you to thank actually. The happy photos of you in Rome before your TA were what peaked my interest! Mine was shipped yesterday! And, I can't wait. I did a "sort of" practice today for the first time on one of those scooters in Target! I haven't had so much fun shopping in a long time...

Mine was shipped yesterday! And, I can't wait. I did a "sort of" practice today for the first time on one of those scooters in Target! I haven't had so much fun shopping in a long time...

Congratulations....be sure to let us know how you like it!

Congratulations....be sure to let us know how you like it!

I LOVE it, Denise! And, I have you to thank for that....if I hadn't seen how content and happy you look in your photos, zipping around Rome on your TA, I probably wouldn't have taken so much notice!

It arrived this week and I took it for my first test drive yesterday...had a ball on it! I could tell my DH was envious....we went to a travel show and while I was looking at something, I caught him zipping around on it! ;)

Anyone with mobility issues should certainly consider this. I have arthritis in my knees and hips, need one hip done, probably the other soon thereafter, and am having an MRI on my lower back tomorrow as my doctor thinks there might be sciatica issues. If it weren't for this TravelScoot, I'm afraid I would have been forced to cancel our upcoming cruise in two weeks.

Again, a huge thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Denise, I bought a lock at REI today...cutting it close to order from Magellan! But, at least I'll have it just in case. It is a bit heaver, but I bought the lightest one I could. Also bought a headlight....we'll see how that works! We in St. Maarten til 7 and Curacao til 11 PM. So I figure it might be a good idea.

Archived