Cruising with My Travelscoot

nieciez

We just returned from our transatlantic cruise on the Carnival Dream. This was the first time I used my Travelscoot on a trip and let me say that the Travelscoot far exceeded my expectations. We christened my Scoot “The Silver Chariot” when in Rome. :D

Though I have both the SLA and Li-lon battery we decided to travel with only the Li-lon battery. I am so happy I left the heavier battery home as I NEVER ran out of power. At first I charged the battery every night but eventually I only charged every other night and I never got low on power. Also, on many of my tours there were steep grades and hills. Though I am a queen sized gal at almost 250 pounds I never overloaded the battery. But I always made sure I got a good running start whenever I could. On the gangway on and off the ship I would walk and my husband or a ship's staff member would roll the Scoot up or down.

I never had to fold down the Scoot the whole trip, except for the trip home from the airport as my son-in-law’s vehicle was too small for it and our luggage. On the trip to the airport in my daughter’s van we were able to keep it set up.

I had booked this cruise long before I had the scooter so we had a non-handicapped cabin. Though the cabin door was too narrow to drive through it was VERY easy get it into the cabin. First off, the room steward said it would be OK to leave it in the hall in front of my door if I wanted. We did this during the day when we would come back to the room for anything or to take an afternoon nap or get ready for dinner. Then in the evening when we were “in for the night”, my hubby would get the back end and I would hold the front handle bars and he would just tip the back wheels a tad and it would make it through the door way. Eventually we would take the seat and battery off and he could get it in without my assistance. I didn’t try this myself but I think I could have done it on my own if need be. The Scoot didn’t take up any room in the cabin even thought we kept it completely set up.

As for leaving the Scoot when parked since it doesn’t have a key, this was never a problem. Sometimes I would park right inside the dining room, off to the side, other times out in the hallway leading to the dining room and no one ever bothered the Scoot. But, this cruise only had about 40 passengers under the age of 18 and very few teens or pre-teens who might be tempted to take a “joy ride”. Even in Spain when we went to lunch in two ports of call I left the Scoot just outside the front door with no problem as the staff and I could keep an eye on it. I had purchased a retractable bike cable to “chain” it if needed. http://www.magellans.com/store/Safety___Security___Luggage_Locks___TagsSL104?Args=

The Scoot did wonderful over the cobblestones of Rome and all our Ports-of-Call in Spain (Barcelona; Malaga; Palma de Mallorca; Gran Canaries). In Rome we did an all day Highlight’s of Rome tour and the company had a mini van and the Scoot fit in the back without folding it down. The only sight I couldn’t participate in was the Catacombs but there were beautiful grounds to enjoy while the rest of the group went down into the caves. All our other tours were by motor coach and it went easily into the luggage compartment. King’s Wharf in Bermuda was easy to get around on the Scoot and we took the ferry over to St. Georges with no problem. St. Georges was a little more challenging getting around as it is a very quaint village and the sidewalks very narrow. We had been there before so I really didn’t feel like I missed anything as I was able to get around the waterfront area with ease and we had a nice waterfront lunch and shopping. I am sure if we had decided to go into Hamilton it would have been more user friendly. Oh, in Mallorca we took the antique train to Soller and though the Scoot couldn’t fit in the passenger car, they either put it in the caboose or the engine with no problem (I am actually not sure which of the two they took it too)….the beauty of the Scoot being so light.

I wish I had a batch of business cards for Travelscoot….it was a big hit with other passengers aboard the ship. Everyone wanted to know about it. I had a lot of envious looks from folks with mobility issues that were using canes or crutches.

I will attach a link to some of the pictures we took of me and my Scoot on tour. I was disappointed that I didn’t get more pictures in Rome…..my camera battery went dead and I had left the spare in the hotel room. Unfortunately since I am the chief photographer in the family there aren’t many of the Scoot anyway. But this might give you an idea on what to expect. I am so happy I purchased the Travelscoot as it gave me the freedom to get around that I wouldn’t have had without it.

Photos: http://picasaweb.google.com/nieciez/TravelScoot#

Ohps, some trouble with my cut and paste when edited:

We just returned from our transatlantic cruise on the Carnival Dream. This was the first time I used my Travelscoot on a trip and let me say that the Travelscoot far exceeded my expectations. We christened my Scoot “The Silver Chariot” when in Rome.

Though I have both the SLA and Li-lon battery we decided to travel with only the Li-lon battery. I am so happy I left the heavier battery home as I NEVER ran out of power. At first I charged the battery every night but eventually I only charged every other night and I never got low on power. Also, on many of my tours there were steep grades and hills. Though I am a queen sized gal at almost 250 pounds I never overheated the battery. But I always made sure I got a good running start whenever I could. On the gangway on and off the ship I would walk and my husband or a ship's staff member would roll the Scoot up or down.

I never had to fold down the Scoot the whole trip, except for the trip home from the airport as my son-in-law’s vehicle was too small for it and our luggage. On the trip to the airport in my daughter’s van we were able to keep it set up.

I had booked this cruise long before I had the scooter so we had a non-handicapped cabin. Though the cabin door was too narrow to drive through it was VERY easy get it into the cabin. First off, the room steward said it would be OK to leave it in the hall in front of my door if I wanted. We did this during the day when we would come back to the room for anything or to take an afternoon nap or get ready for dinner. Then in the evening when we were “in for the night”, my hubby would get the back end and I would hold the front handle bars and he would just tip the back wheels a tad and it would make it through the door way. Eventually we would take the seat and battery off and he could get it in without my assistance. I didn’t try this myself but I think I could have done it on my own if need be. The Scoot didn’t take up any room in the cabin even thought we kept it completely set up.

As for leaving the Scoot when parked since it doesn’t have a key, this was never a problem. Sometimes I would park right inside the dining room, off to the side, other times out in the hallway leading to the dining room and no one ever bothered the Scoot. But, this cruise only had about 40 passengers under the age of 18 and very few teens or pre-teens who might be tempted to take a “joy ride”. Even in Spain when we went to lunch in two ports of call I left the Scoot just outside the front door with no problem as the staff and I could keep an eye on it. I had purchased a retractable bike cable to “chain” it if needed. http://www.magellans.com/store/Safety___Security___Luggage_Locks___TagsSL104?Args=

The Scoot did wonderful over the cobblestones of Rome and all our Ports-of-Call in Spain (Barcelona; Malaga; Palma de Mallorca; Gran Canaries). In Rome we did an all day Highlight’s of Rome tour and the company had a mini van and the Scoot fit in the back without folding it down. The only sight I couldn’t participate in was the Catacombs but there were beautiful grounds to enjoy while the rest of the group went down into the caves. All our other tours were by motor coach and it went easily into the luggage compartment. King’s Wharf in Bermuda was easy to get around on the Scoot and we took the ferry over to St. Georges with no problem. St. Georges was a little more challenging getting around as it is a very quaint village and the sidewalks very narrow. We had been there before so I really didn’t feel like I missed anything as I was able to get around the waterfront area with ease and we had a nice waterfront lunch and shopping. I am sure if we had decided to go into Hamilton it would have been more user friendly. Oh, in Mallorca we took the antique train to Soller and though the Scoot couldn’t fit in the passenger car, they either put it in the caboose or the engine with no problem (I am actually not sure which of the two they took it too)….the beauty of the Scoot being so light.

I wish I had a batch of business cards for Travelscoot….it was a big hit with other passengers aboard the ship. Everyone wanted to know about it. I had a lot of envious looks from folks with mobility issues that were using canes or crutches.

I will attach a link to some of the pictures we took of me and my Scoot on tour. I was disappointed that I didn’t get more pictures in Rome…..my camera battery went dead and I had left the spare in the hotel room. Unfortunately since I am the chief photographer in the family there isn’t many of the Scoot. But this might give you an idea on what to expect. I am so happy I purchased the Travelscoot as it gave me the freedom to get around that I wouldn’t have had without it.

Photos: http://picasaweb.google.com/nieciez/TravelScoot#

I'm glad it worked out so well for you. New worlds opening up! I'm pleased that so many people and situations were so positive. Also the information about the battery doing so well.

We're waiting to find out the door measurements for the Oasis of the Seas. Sounds like just a littl emore width would have made things easier for you.

Just a comment about leaving scooters outside of your cabin- on some ships the corridor is too narrow for two scooters to pass eachother. One night my son and I were going back to our cabin and we were unable to reach it because he cannot walk nor could he get around the parked scooter. There was an outside door at the other end of the corridor which he couldn't use due to a lip at the doorway so we couldn't access our cabin from that direction either. We had to get the ships staff to wake the couple up so that it could be moved. In an emergency scooters left in corridors could trap a disabled passenger. Just something check out while parking your scooter. It sounds like you had a wide corridor on your ship so it wasn't a problem for you.

Just a comment about leaving scooters outside of your cabin- on some ships the corridor is too narrow for two scooters to pass eachother. One night my son and I were going back to our cabin and we were unable to reach it because he cannot walk nor could he get around the parked scooter. There was an outside door at the other end of the corridor which he couldn't use due to a lip at the doorway so we couldn't access our cabin from that direction either. We had to get the ships staff to wake the couple up so that it could be moved. In an emergency scooters left in corridors could trap a disabled passenger. Just something check out while parking your scooter. It sounds like you had a wide corridor on your ship so it wasn't a problem for you.

You are correct. This is a new ship and we were on deck 2 with an wider then normal corridor, plus each cabin doorway was recessed. With the compactness of the Travelscoot compaired to most mobility scooters it tucked right into this recess area nicely. There was still lots of room for folks on scooters and the staff pushing housekeeping carts to get by and then some.

• 2 weeks later...

Denise, I really like the look of that scooter-my mother is afraid to drive a scooter because she never got a drivers license! That one does not look too intimidating to me-maybe she would be willing to try one like that. I'm going to look online for that kind of thing...Thanks for the review and the pictures...Maureen

Denise, I really like the look of that scooter-my mother is afraid to drive a scooter because she never got a drivers license! That one does not look too intimidating to me-maybe she would be willing to try one like that. I'm going to look online for that kind of thing...Thanks for the review and the pictures...Maureen

Actaully the Pride GO GO is also very easy to operate. The Travelscoot is a very good product as well. But it's important to note that the Travelscoot does not have a reverse drive. Therfore you're mother needs to be able to manually push it in reverse if needed. So she needs to have fairly good leg mobility and coordination to do so. Check out the video link http://www.travelscoot.com/demonstration.htm

I just returned from a Transatlantic cruise. We flew into London five days precruise to do some touring. On the second day we went to Stonehenge, while circling the stones my drive belt broke. I knew I had a spare belt back at the hotel. While pushing the scoot back to the car I realized I didn’t pack the tool kit. I explained to our tour guide the situation and he knew right where I could get the tools. I worried the rest of the trip that the backup belt would break. Next trip I will be sure to take the tools and two spare belts.

clyde3,

I've had my TravelScoot for 10 months and haven't had to change the belt yet, but it's something I worry about happening. Would you be interested in writing out instructions for how you changed yours for me to put on my TravelScoot blog, at http://mytravelscoot.blogspot.com ?

I know there are many people who follow my blog who worry about how they'll handle it when/if theirs breaks.

If you can, that would be wonderful. It's a lot for me to ask, so I understand if it's not something you want to take on. I'm glad you were able to get the tools you needed and get rolling again quickly.

Elizabeth

• 3 weeks later...

I have recently been diagnosed as needing hip replacement surgery but we have a cruise planned on February 3. So, I have been reading up on travel scooters. So far, I think I like this one the best because it is so compact. I hate spending the $1300 when, hopefully, after surgery I won't need it...but then...I want to be able to enjoy the ports during our Caribbean cruise!

Are there any other scooters comparable to the TravelScoot?

I have recently been diagnosed as needing hip replacement surgery but we have a cruise planned on February 3. So, I have been reading up on travel scooters. So far, I think I like this one the best because it is so compact. I hate spending the $1300 when, hopefully, after surgery I won't need it...but then...I want to be able to enjoy the ports during our Caribbean cruise!

Are there any other scooters comparable to the TravelScoot?

The TravelScoot is a one of kind. There is nothing else in the market like it. Also note that the Travelscoot does not have an reverse drive. You have top manually push it in reverse . Your next option is to purchases a portable travel scooter . For your convenience I have attached links to show some of the various portable travel scooters available. Though these photos came from 1800Wheelchairs website, I am not endorsing that 1800wheelchair or any particular scooter . Rather only used the photos for reference. You need to check and compare all sources for best available pricing. The photos are for reference only :

Pride Go Go Elite traveler : http://www.pridemobility.com/gogo/video/gogo_Elite_disassembly.html

Zip'r 3 Wheel Compact Scooter

http://www.1800wheelchair.com/asp/view-product-images.aspx?product_id=1333

Shoprider Scooter

http://www.1800wheelchair.com/asp/view-product-images.aspx?product_id=1405

Buzz Around lite 3 Wheel Scooter

Mini Traveler Foldable Scooter

http://www.1800wheelchair.com/asp/view-product-images.aspx?product_id=849

The TravelScoot is a one of kind. There is nothing else in the market like it. Also note that the Travelscoot does not have an reverse drive. You have top manually push it in reverse . Your next option is to purchases a portable travel scooter . For your convenience I have attached links to show some of the various portable travel scooters available. Though these photos came from 1800Wheelchairs website, I am not endorsing that 1800wheelchair or any particular scooter . Rather only used the photos for reference. You need to check and compare all sources for best available pricing. The photos are for reference only :

Pride Go Go Elite traveler : http://www.pridemobility.com/gogo/video/gogo_Elite_disassembly.html

Zip'r 3 Wheel Compact Scooter

http://www.1800wheelchair.com/asp/view-product-images.aspx?product_id=1333

Shoprider Scooter

Buzz Around lite 3 Wheel Scooter

Mini Traveler Foldable Scooter

http://www.1800wheelchair.com/asp/view-product-images.aspx?product_id=849

Thanks so much! I like the looks of the Mini Traveler Foldable Scooter. I'll have to check that out online!

Denise, I've read the measurements...and the TravelScoot (set up) is 23 1/2" wide. My PCC at HAL tells me the doors are 23" wide.

Do you think this will work for me? Can we get it through the stateroom door?

Thanks!

If you got the 23" door clearance from HAL they generally do not deduct the 2" door width when open. So door clearance is most likely only 21" wide. The travelscoot probably wont clear the doorway. But the nice thing about the travelscoot is it's very light and easy to breakdown to fit through the door. Please make certain that what ever scooter you buy you clearly have it marked with you name, address and phone. On cruises I usually place one of the cruise luggage tags on the scooter that has the cabin number.

Pam uses a travelscoot. She's had two hips replaced and two knees and has trouble breathing. The scooter won't roll through most regular cabin doors, but we pop the seat off and tilt the rear wheels a bit and it goes right in. Travelscoot does make a travelscoot junior, with a narrower wheelbase. That would make it tippier, however.

Pam uses a travelscoot. She's had two hips replaced and two knees and has trouble breathing. The scooter won't roll through most regular cabin doors, but we pop the seat off and tilt the rear wheels a bit and it goes right in. Travelscoot does make a travelscoot junior, with a narrower wheelbase. That would make it tippier, however.

This is exactly what we did each evening to get the scoot in the room. If I came back to the room during the day I was able to leave it right outside our door and it wasn't in the way of anyone coming down the hall due to the way our doorways were recessed on the Dream. And the scoot didn't take up hardly any space in the room. I heard from another Travelscoot user that she was able to get her's through a standard door on Carnival Freedom. It will be interesting to see if that will be the case on our upcoming Carnival Valor cruise.

DSC00665.jpg

Two of them came with the TravelScoot!

We will be going to:

Half Moon Cay (twice on this cruise)

St. Thomas (docking at Crown Bay)

Dominica

Barbados

St. Lucia

St. Maarten

Grand Turk

Samana

Bonaire

Curacao

Aruba

Have been to all but Barbados, Samana and Bonaire...but never looked at the ports through the eyes of someone driving/riding a TravelScoot. Denise, do you foresee any problems in those ports with the Scoot?

We like to go to the beach in Aruba, taking a cab there. I'm trying to remember how the walkway was down to the beach by the hotel the cab dropped us at!

We have a shorex planned with Joyce Prince in St. Maarten; and haven't planned any others yet. We usually do a combination of just walking around, a ship shorex, or taking a cab on our own in the more civilized ports.

We walked from the town in Curacao back across the bridge to the ship last year...that's no longer possible. :(, But I know the Scoot would be great in Curacao.

My cruise in Feb will me new ground for me too with the Travelscoot in the Caribbean. My main concern is going to the beach. I am thinking that once we arrived at the beach I will either have to break the scoot down, put in bag to have it near me on he beach or maybe just take the battery off, put it in the battery bag and carry it to sit behind my beach chair. I do know I will NOT be able to "ride" it on the sand LOL. Either way I am sure it will work out.

One of our ports will be Grand Cayman and we will be doing the sting rays. I expect we will need to break it down to load in the back of the bus to the marina but I will have to check with Capt. Marvin on this....in the next week or so I will be nailing this down.

In my experience the travel scoot does very well on cobblestones and well packed gravel. I was surprised about that. It doesn't go well in soft sand or loose gravel. I did not take mine apart at the beach. I took a bike lock with me and just locked it to a nearby tree, pole, post etc.

Be nice if there was a guide for Caribbean ports and which beaches have boardwalks, etc. Things to make it more helpful for all of us.

I just had an email from Tony. He says the large seat is 21" , the smaller version 17". I'd kind of like the larger seat but he says it's difficult to get in the travel bag.

Denise, I know you have the smaller seat. Anyone out there with a larger seat who could shed some light on this?

Archived