RCI Navigator or NCL Gem?

royalcaribbean101

We recently booked the GEM for the 14 day cruise from Venice on 6-26-2010. We have sailed RCCL many times, but found the price and flexibility of NCL much more reasonable. We sailed the GEM on the 7 day Med this past summer and were impressed with the overall cruise experience. I'm not sure how long the Navigator's cruise is for, but the GEM's 14 day ports of call are extensive. Good Luck deciding.

I want to go on a cruise in 2011 with my 17 year old and my 14 year old kids. We want to go to Italy, Greece, and Turkey. Which cruise line should we take?????????

Sounds like a nice cruise your planning. I would choose RCCL. I have been on the Navigator and that was by far my favorite ship. NCL is good but I love RCCL hands down. I think you will be much happier with RCCL then NCL. I find NCL to be boring in a lot of areas.:)

:)was on rccl nav in april on 14 day trans and enjoyed it great ship and service, and just got of ncl carb cruise and it was good but i would think if going to be on ship very long nav would be a better fit both great service and staff but as someone else said the shows on the prominade cant be beat have been on 14 ccl before service went downhill. Both ncl and rccl are great.

• 2 weeks later...
Sounds like a nice cruise your planning. I would choose RCCL. I have been on the Navigator and that was by far my favorite ship. NCL is good but I love RCCL hands down. I think you will be much happier with RCCL then NCL. I find NCL to be boring in a lot of areas.:)

I wil be going on 2nd cruise ever, which will be on the Gem out of NY in April 2010. It will be me, wife, and girls 11 and 8 (at time of travel). My first cruise was with my wife last year for 3 days on RCCL Navigator. Please explain to me why NCL was boring, and what you thought about each of them. Thanks.

We actually prefer NCL to RCI because of the freestyle dining, multiple specialty restaurants, and more casual atmosphere ---- perfect for a European cruise with busy port days. The entertainment on NCL has always been very good, I don't know why someone would call it boring. In fact, we have the Gem Adriatic itinerary booked for next May, great ports and a chance to stay 2 nights in Venice pre-cruise.

Gem is a wonderful newer ship and very nice. We love the Great Outdoors area on the back of the ship for its great bar and buffet area under the stars. Best of all, there are so many different restaurants to dine at each night. I love the flexibility of that on NCL. Our favorite restaurant is the Asian.

Personally, I prefer the smaller Radiance class of ships on RCCL over the Navigator size. The Navigator ship is similar to the Explorer, which we are sailing again in January. This ship is larger because it has more staterooms but it only has one specialty restaurant instead of two like the smaller Radiance class. Compared to NCL's multiple specialty restaurants, the edge goes to NCL for me. Both cruiselines have nice dining rooms. I don't prefer one dining room over the other.

What I don't like about the Navigator style ships is that they only have 2 banks of elevator-forward and midship. There are no aft elevators so it is very tiring walking to anything towards the back of the ship. Last time we had an aft cabin, which was exhausting on a 12 night cruise.

Archived