whats happened to aurora?

seabourndt

I look out the window today and she is not there.

Let's hope she is making her way to South America and not just the Isle of Wight again.

According to reports she was due to be repaired on Sunday and tested at sea Sunday night. Sailing was planned for today, Monday.

P&O's own website popup says:-

Update on Aurora's Grand Voyage

P&O Cruises can confirm that the schedule of repairs to rectify a problem with one of Aurora’s motors is ongoing.

The ship is currently at sea undergoing tests to prove the durability of these repairs. The earliest anticipated departure date for the Grand Voyage remains Tuesday 18 January provided the outcome of the tests is successful. These tests are anticipated to continue throughout the day.

Passengers staying on board Aurora as guests during these sea tests are being kept fully informed as work progresses.

Once the repairs have been concluded, the company will be in a position to confirm the revised Grand Voyage itinerary.

Passengers will be refunded for the number of nights the cruise has been curtailed and further compensation to acknowledge the change of cruise itinerary.

P&O Cruises would like to apologise for the disappointment being felt by passengers and the company will do everything to ensure Aurora gets underway as soon as possible for her Grand Voyage.

As and when she returns to the Southampton area, we'll no doubt be able to see her on the Southampton radar screen.

I still don't know what to think of P&O's new statement. Kind of sounds like it's the same thing they have been saying all along, just reworded.

Wish they'd put something out about the schedule. But I know they have to wait and see how the sea trials go. I'll be watching webcams, ship tracking, and message boards all day today. Hope I get some work done! :D

This is from an announcement onboard at 22.30.

Aurora is still due to sail tomorrow (Tuesday) at 1700. the initial itinerary is expected to be followed until reaching Asia, then it will be revised. More details to be announced tomorrow along with new itinerary.

Sorry, but it sounds to me like there is still some underlying problem

(necessitating a dry dock repair?).

I've a feeling they can't make up their minds whether to cancel the whole trip for same, or whether to limp round the world at low speed on a curtailed itinerary. Otherwise, we would have heard something positive by now.

For those on the vessel and those of you booked to travel, I hope I'm wrong, although they always do offer good rates of compensation.

To me, it sounds like the problem is fixed enough that they can make the trip. Since they have said they will be sailing tomorrow at 5pm. I just think, because they are so far behind, they will need to cancel some stops. Guess by sunrise in the UK, there should be an update on the website.

My contact confirms sailing is still expected at 1700hrs Tuesday 18th and that the original itinerary will be followed to Asia, then a revised itinerary. This could mean she would arrive in Sydney up to 10 days late, and that my 55 night voyage will be curtailed to 43 or 44 nights.

Arriving late in Southampton is a problem for me - missing ports along the way from Hong Kong to San Francisco is a problem for ladikara. Have a feeling we will both miss out on something!

Am setting the alarm for around 3am Australian time to (hopefully) see her sail and also to find out the revised itinerary. Will post as soon as I know something.

I suspect that someone may take the name off the radar scan picture when the ship is tied up or not going to be moving, to reduce the clutter. I don't know enough about the radar to know whether that's done by the port or whether it's a function controlled by the ship (like aircraft transponders).

The P&O website's update this morning says:-

Update on Aurora's Grand Voyage

P&O Cruises can confirm that Aurora has returned to Southampton following a series of tests to prove the durability of repairs to one of the ship’s electrical motors.

The sea tests have been successful with further testing of the motor being undertaken whilst the ship is alongside in Southampton. The anticipated departure for the Grand Voyage is this evening (Tuesday 18 January).

The revised Grand Voyage itinerary and compensation arrangements have been finalised and communicated to passengers. The company can confirm that the revised itinerary retains the majority of the key destinations of the original Grand Voyage.

P&O Cruises would like to apologise for the disappointment felt by passengers for the delay to the start of the Grand Voyage and the company would like to thank passengers for their tremendous support during this time.

So it looks like all systems are go.

So now I wish they would just post the new schedule. It sounds like the passengers onboard know the schedule. But I wonder why they didn't post it on the website too. It's already almost noon, you'd think they would have it posted. :mad:

Patience ladikara! Don't forget the majority of passengers already onboard are doing the WHOLE world cruise, so no doubt, at the moment they get priority with the news. Right now I suppose P&O are contacting those on the next sector - Buenos Aires to...., then those Santiago to...., then those Auckland to.... etc.

If I am contacted re the Sydney sector, I'll post the details, as I am sure those on the following sectors - Singapore, Hong Kong (like yourself) and then San Francisco will want to know.

I'm sure we'll know in a few hours....I'm as anxious as you are! Wonder if they'll have the usual send-off in Southampton with brass band etc. Bet the media will be out there in force!

I'm being patient....but I just wanna know! :D I guess i'm just really wanting to know what will get cut. They are doing a good job with keeping us outside people informed via the pop-ups on the internet. I just look forward to the pop up that has the fine details. :D

Well our whole portion of our cruise from Hong Kong to San Francisco was cancelled.

We haven't even heard from P&O. Just saw the new schedule and that whole portion is gone. We think we may get on in Auckland and off in Hong Kong, but that's all depending if we all can rearrange our vacation and avalibility on the ship. I work for an airline, so getting vacation is hard to come by since we bid against each other based on seniority.

It just is a huge mess. I think all of us in our family have cried. It's just really really bad. I'm not mad at P&O, just upset by their changes. But they have to make 1500+ passengers happy and you can't really make everybody happy.

Who knows what will happen.

ladikara - yes the itinerary has major changes after Singapore which cuts out the Japan through to Panama Canal sectors and returns to the UK via the Suez. I haven't been contacted yet by P&O but it must be a nightmare for them having to contact pax and change their cruise, flights and accommodation. No doubt the wishes of those who have been 'landlocked' aboard Aurora for the last week, who are doing the full world cruise and still wanted the South American ports, was taken into consideration.

I'm sure your whole family is disappointed, there will be compensation from P&O for all of you, but of course this may be little consolation at the moment.

Do hope you can join the ship in Auckland through to Hong Kong. I am still boarding in Sydney (even though it is a week later than anticipated) and will complete the voyage back to the UK. I'll look forward to meeting you and your family if arrangements can be worked out.

Robyn...

Thank you for your kind words. I'm sure we will get a phone call sometime today or tomorrow. I'm sure they have as many people as possible making phone calls trying to contact passengers. I'm also pretty sure there are passengers on board that are disappointed.

We won't know anything about Auckland until they call...then I have to wait to see what I can do with work. My parents are able to change their vacation times but for my stepsister and myself it's a little bit of a hurdle. We will see though. I would like to go on the cruise, but if not, i'm sure our family will head somewhere else.

It will be interesting to see what they offer us. Hope you enjoy the cruise if we don't go, i'm sure i'll keep everybody posted here.

Archived