what restaurants have a surcharge?

angel 77

According to NCL's updated website, specialty restaurants now range in price from $10-$30 rather than $10-$25. So, it could mean Cirque Dreams could range in price from $15-$30 p.p. and it could also mean Cagney's and the Japanese Steakhouse are going up in price by $5. If LeBistro has gone from $15 to $25 on at least one ship, it will not be long before it is $25 p.p. fleet wide. Any thoughts on this?

Here is the update for specialty restaurants:

"How about a night "on the town"?

Every ship in our fleet also offers true Texas-style steakhouses, gourmet French bistros, Italian trattorias, Japanese sushi bars, authentic teppanyaki grills and that's just the beginning. Some ships offer sophisticated supper clubs with dinner and dancing, Cirque Dreams™ and Dinner shows with world-class acrobats and more. These specialty restaurants are optional and have a cover charge that ranges from $10 to $30 per guest."

It has been $10 - $30 for a long time. No change. You forgot the $10 upcharge for some options in Cagney's and the Bistro.

It has been $10 - $30 for a long time. No change. You forgot the $10 upcharge for some options in Cagney's and the Bistro.

Okay, now I am confussed and need an update. Cagney's used to be $20 p.p. and if you wanted lobster, it was an additional charge of $10. Somewhere along the line, I started reading posts that say Cagney's is now $25 p.p. - is this correct? If it is, i don't believe they are including the $10 option when NCL says "These specialty restaurants are optional and have a cover charge that ranges from $10 to $30 per guest" otherwise the range would be from $10 to $35. Please clarify this for me. I am still curious if Cagney's or the Teppanyaki grill will go up to $30 on Epic, once she sets sail.

njhorseman - Last night I think I read the post you are referring to. Le Bistro was changed to $20 p.p., not $25.

Now, I have 1 more item I would like clarified. On NCL's website when referring to the surcharge restaurants and not the included restaurants, it states "Some ships offer sophisticated supper clubs with dinner and dancing" (see my previous post). Why would NCL not put this line in the section that talks about restaurants "On the House"? They are obviously referring to the Manhattan Room which is supposed to be free. Is there somewhere else or another ship that offers this at a surcharge?

here is the link http://www.ncl.com/nclweb/cruiser/cmsPages.html?pageId=FreestyleDining

Joey

First never expect precision from the NCL marketing verbage on their website. That said nobody including NCL knows for sure what the prices will be on the Epic yet. We can pick apart a couple of website statements and make only guesses at this time.

Cagney's was $20 when I was onboard the Dawn in August. I have not found a list on the Epic site that seperates surcharge from included venues. We know from other ships which will probably have a surcharge. Manhattan Club still shows up as one of the main dining rooms.

The Manhattan Room

Aft Main Dining

Taste

Atrium Main Dining

La Cucina

Italian / Tuscan

Cagney's Steakhouse & Churrascaria

Steakhouse

Teppanyaki

Japanese Hibachi

Wasabi

Japanese Sushi / Sake Bar

The Epic Club

Private Indoor Dining for Courtyard Guests

Shanghai's

Chinese American

Spiegel Tent

Entertainment Dining

Le Bistro

French Bistro

O'Sheehan's

Neighborhood Bar / Fast Food

The Courtyard Grill

Private Outdoor Dining for Courtyard Guests

Garden Café

Indoor Buffet

The Great Outdoors

Outdoor Buffet

Spice H20

Pool Grill

more to come...

Okay, now I am confussed and need an update. Cagney's used to be $20 p.p. and if you wanted lobster, it was an additional charge of $10. Somewhere along the line, I started reading posts that say Cagney's is now $25 p.p. - is this correct? If it is, i don't believe they are including the $10 option when NCL says "These specialty restaurants are optional and have a cover charge that ranges from $10 to $30 per guest" otherwise the range would be from $10 to $35. Please clarify this for me. I am still curious if Cagney's or the Teppanyaki grill will go up to $30 on Epic, once she sets sail.

njhorseman - Last night I think I read the post you are referring to. Le Bistro was changed to $20 p.p., not $25.

Now, I have 1 more item I would like clarified. On NCL's website when referring to the surcharge restaurants and not the included restaurants, it states "Some ships offer sophisticated supper clubs with dinner and dancing" (see my previous post). Why would NCL not put this line in the section that talks about restaurants "On the House"? They are obviously referring to the Manhattan Room which is supposed to be free. Is there somewhere else or another ship that offers this at a surcharge?

here is the link http://www.ncl.com/nclweb/cruiser/cmsPages.html?pageId=FreestyleDining

Per this recent (12/28) post it is now $25:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=22450851&postcount=80

The price of Le Bistro was $25. And a month ago I was complaining about it possibly going up to $20.

The reason was because they implemented a new menu. We dined there one evening and was not very impressed. For $25 I say save your money for Cagney's.

The production shows were not very impressive. Not sure if this is Jean Ann Ryan company or not. They put up a good effort for the Christmas special but the talent is just not there. (Sorry if any of the Gem singers and dancers are reading this)

Joey

First never expect precision from the NCL marketing verbage on their website. That said nobody including NCL knows for sure what the prices will be on the Epic yet. We can pick apart a couple of website statements and make only guesses at this time.

Cagney's was $20 when I was onboard the Dawn in August. I have not found a list on the Epic site that seperates surcharge from included venues. We know from other ships which will probably have a surcharge. Manhattan Club still shows up as one of the main dining rooms.

Thanks time2cruise for the heads up. Regarding Cagney's, it has only been recently that the price has gone up to $25. There is a current thread about the Star where some asks if all the restaurants have a surcharge. Someone replied back with a current list of prices that has Cagney's at $25 p.p.

There is also this thread http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1109467&highlight=cagney which talks about the new dining book option and gives package prices. Cagney's is listed as $25 p.p.

Per this recent (12/28) post it is now $25:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=22450851&postcount=80

The price of Le Bistro was $25. And a month ago I was complaining about it possibly going up to $20.

The reason was because they implemented a new menu. We dined there one evening and was not very impressed. For $25 I say save your money for Cagney's.

The production shows were not very impressive. Not sure if this is Jean Ann Ryan company or not. They put up a good effort for the Christmas special but the talent is just not there. (Sorry if any of the Gem singers and dancers are reading this)

Sorry njhorseman. I did not see this thread. The one I read was earlier than this and had Le Bistro at $20 p.p. No wonder I am so confussed - things change at a drop of a hat.

• 2 weeks later...
I guess I should have worded it diffrently. What I was trying to say is I know I read somewhere that Cagney's had gone from $20 to $25 p.p.;)

Haha, reading over your previous post now make perfect sense! :D

It's funny how the same words and sentences can have the opposite meanings sometimes lol.

A sincere Thank You to those who've posted to this informative thread. I'm way out of my 'comfort zone' here on the NCL boards, having never sailed on the line . . . but a little research goes a long way (it seems).

I'm calling tomorrow to see about booking a future Epic cruise, due to the interest brought about by the announced arrangements for solo passengers to have the specially designed cabins & unique common areas available to them.

Dining is a big part of the overall experience for me, so I'm personally thrilled at the prospect of having so many options available, even at a cost (and the costs mentioned seem very reasonable to me). I totally get that it's my choice to decided what I want to do as a dining option, or not. I like options! :)

But for those of you 'in the know', here's my question: I know the ship is yet to be officially seen and experienced, but I'm assuming that some of the dining options will be similar to those on other NCL vessels. Have any of you witnessed any issues with someone choosing any of the more upscale options and be dining alone? . Most restaurants want to maximize occupancy for maximum return, and I completely understand that . . . but I'm hoping that would be no discomfort felt if making some choiced onboard, and hearing, "What? Only one?" :o Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Have any of you witnessed any issues with someone choosing any of the more upscale options and be dining alone? . Most restaurants want to maximize occupancy for maximum return, and I completely understand that . . . but I'm hoping that would be no discomfort felt if making some choiced onboard, and hearing, "What? Only one?" :o Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

No issue at all. I have done it many times. All the specialty restaurants have lots of tables for 2 and they are happy to take your solo reservation. Better yet you can have dinner with anyone you meet onboard since nobody has a set dining plan. With 128 solo cabins are sharing a common space it should be easy to put a group together.

I just found this info on another site. It confirms a lot of the speculation on costs. I'm thinking that the O'Sheehans info may be a mistake since it indicates that there will be a surcharge, but everything I've read to this point says otherqwise.

Norwegian Epic Dining Info

Click for Ship Info and Pictures

The Manhattan Room (Main Dining Room)

Cuisine: Continental

Dress Code: Resort Casual, plus nice jeans are allowed. No shorts after 6:00 p.m. in the dining rooms.

Surcharge: No

Reservations Required: No

Hours

Breakfast: 7:00 a.m. – 9:30 a.m.

Lunch: 11:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m.

Dinner: 5:30 p.m. – 10:30 p.m.

Taste (Main Dining Room)

Cuisine: Continental

Dress Code: Resort Casual, plus nice jeans are allowed. No shorts after 6:00 p.m. in the dining rooms.

Hours

Le Bistro French Restaurant

Cuisine: French

Surcharge: Yes, $20 per person

Reservations Required: Yes

Hours

Cagney's Steakhouse and Churrascaria

Cuisine: Steakhouse

Surcharge: Yes, $25 per person

Hours

La Cucina

Cuisine: Italian

Surcharge: Yes, $10 per person

Hours

Shanghai's

Cuisine: Chinese American

Surcharge: Yes, $15 per person

Hours

Teppanyaki

Cuisine: Japanese Hibachi

Surcharge: Yes, $25 per person

Hours

Wasabi

Cuisine: Japanese Sushi / Sake Bar

Surcharge: Yes

Hours

O'Sheehans

Cuisine: Fastfood

Surcharge: Yes

Hours

Dinner: 24-hours

Garden Cafe

Cuisine: Buffet

Dress Code: Casual

Hours

The Great Outdoors

Cuisine: Buffet

Hours

Spice H2O

Cuisine: Grill items

Hours

In addition to the restaurants mentioned above, the Norwegian Epic also offers 24-hour room service.

What I find funny is O'Sheehans "Reservations Required:Yes". So, if I want hot wings at 2 in the morning, I have to make a reservation:confused:?!? I may be wrong but I think this is an error in print - I can't imagine NCL NOT having a 24 hour restaurant that wasn't free.

Doeymeister - Thanks for posting that list of restaurants, and their details. Did you find that at Epic.NCL.com?

I looked on their website and could not find this. I did find this which indicates that all ships include a 24-hour venue (free of charge or on the house) with all your favorite comfort foods.

These choices are "on the house."

Morning, noon and night you'll find tempting restaurants, grills, buffets and cafés to satisfy any craving - and they are all included in your cruise fare. If it's a three-course feast you're in the mood for, welcome to our beautifuldining rooms that serve breakfast, lunch and dinner. Maybe dining al fresco with ocean views is in order. You got it - our "endless" buffets offer indoor and outdoor seating with made-to-order omelets and pasta dishes, fresh salads and much, much more. Plus, there are casual grills by the pool, 24-hour eateries with your favorite comfort foods, lively sports bars, kid's cafés and of course dining à la pajamas with room service.

These choices are "on the house."

Morning, noon and night you'll find tempting restaurants, grills, buffets and cafés to satisfy any craving - and they are all included in your cruise fare. If it's a three-course feast you're in the mood for, welcome to our beautifuldining rooms that serve breakfast, lunch and dinner. Maybe dining al fresco with ocean views is in order. You got it - our "endless" buffets offer indoor and outdoor seating with made-to-order omelets and pasta dishes, fresh salads and much, much more. Plus, there are casual grills by the pool, 24-hour eateries with your favorite comfort foods, lively sports bars, kid's cafés and of course dining à la pajamas with room service.

What I find funny is O'Sheehans "Reservations Required:Yes". So, if I want hot wings at 2 in the morning, I have to make a reservation:confused:?!? I may be wrong but I think this is an error in print - I can't imagine NCL NOT having a 24 hour restaurant that wasn't free.

O'Sheehan's is comfort/fast food. They won't charge for this.

I wouldn't put too much weight into that list, NCL is still finalizing all the charges at the moment.

I'm surprised the buffet isn't 24 hours!:eek: Or at least past 10:30pm. Other than O'Sheehans and room service, there is nothing else that's 24 hours?

NCL doesn't have 24h buffet, don't see why this is any issue when they got Blue Lagoon/O'Sheehan's.

Personally, I'd rather have Blue Lagoon/O'Sheehan's since it means whatever you order at 4am will be fresh from the kitchen rather than sitting in a steam table since whenever like in a buffet.

Do other lines have multiple venues that are open 24 hours?

Archived