Yet another question...

I know there are tons of tipping questions posted such as how much yada yada. But that isn't what I am looking for. We aren't doing prepaids - don't worry though we will be tipping the expected amount lol

What is the break down of tips in the dining room? From what I am reading there are 3 people to tip: Waiter, Main Waiter and Assistant waiter, is this correct? If so what is the breakdown between the 3? I guess what I'm looking for is: What percentage of our tips should each person in the dining room get?

I know there are tons of tipping questions posted such as how much yada yada. But that isn't what I am looking for. We aren't doing prepaids - don't worry though we will be tipping the expected amount lol

What is the break down of tips in the dining room? From what I am reading there are 3 people to tip: Waiter, Main Waiter and Assistant waiter, is this correct? If so what is the breakdown between the 3? I guess what I'm looking for is: What percentage of our tips should each person in the dining room get?

Have a look at this cool website by CC member Theron

http://cruisetip.tpkeller.com/

And to answer your question, the recommended amounts are

waiter $3.50 pp / day

assistant $2.00 pp / day

headwaiter $0.75 pp / day

stateroom attendant $3.50 pp / day or if ina Suite (GS or higher) $5.75 pp / day

I think (and I don't have the brochure in front of me right now!) that it's $3.50 to the waiter, less to the ass't waiter, and $.75 to the head waiter.....they will give you the "breakdown" when you get your tip envelopes. And, the info is in the brochure. Those are "per person, per day" amounts.

I guess I was looking more for a percent... so if I am giving X amount of dollars __% of it should go to so and so. Giving me the amount per person per day did the same thing though. I'm not sure why I was thinking in percents... haha

In my head I was trying to get to this: something like 55% to the waiter, 33% to the assistant waiter and 12% to the Head waiter.

I guess I was just trying to be difficult about my thinking instead of thinking about it a little more simply... haha

Since you are prepaying, the tips will automatically be pro-rated for each involved crew member, no need for you to worry about who gets what once you are pre-paid.

good, sounds like prepaid is the way to go for me =) less to worry about [though I will probably add some cash personally if we get spectacular service on top of the regular tip]

I guess I was looking more for a percent... so if I am giving X amount of dollars __% of it should go to so and so. Giving me the amount per person per day did the same thing though. I'm not sure why I was thinking in percents... haha

In my head I was trying to get to this: something like 55% to the waiter, 33% to the assistant waiter and 12% to the Head waiter.

I guess I was just trying to be difficult about my thinking instead of thinking about it a little more simply... haha

If you wish so out of the $9,75 pp / night total tipping amount for non suite guests the waiter and cabin attendant each get 35.9%, the assistant waiter gets 20.51% and the head waiter 7.69%;)

brochure? The only thing we have gotten in the mail is our luggage tags... should we have gotten a brochure? We booked directly online, no TA if that matters.

at what point did you get your luggage tags. I ordered mine about 2 weeks ago for a cruise in about 3 weeks from now and haven't gotten anything yet.

Bill

If you wish so out of the $9,75 pp / night total tipping amount for non suite guests the waiter and cabin attendant each get 35.9%, the assistant waiter gets 20.51% and the head waiter 7.69%;)

stop you"re giving me a headache. I booked mytime dining or whatever RCI's name is and had to prepay tips so that's done.

Bill

at what point did you get your luggage tags. I ordered mine about 2 weeks ago for a cruise in about 3 weeks from now and haven't gotten anything yet.

Bill

We didn't order them, they just came in the mail one day :) I am not sure what we did that prompted them to come. Maybe because we went ahead and checked-in online? We got them about 2-3 weeks ago or so and our cruise is on the 23rd.

Why does everyone panic about luggage tags? You can get them when you get to the pier. Takes about 3 min. to fill them out and your good to go.

You equated my simple post with panic? I don't usually cruise on RCI so I have no idea how things work. Just a simple, curious question.:)

If they are no big deal maybe RCI could save some money by eliminating them via mail and make everybody do them at the pier.

Bill

I don't even understand the comment/question about percents. Percent of WHAT? You mean you're asking what percent of RCCL's recommended $9.75 per person, per day? That's crackin' me up! Just do like someone above said, which is also posted on RCCL's website. $3.50 a day for the steward, $3.50 for the waiter, etc...

Believe me, RCCL won't let you NOT know how much to pay out on that last night. When you come back to your room in the evening (before dinner) the steward will have already set the TV on the channel the loops all of your departure info and a big part of it is how much to tip. And it'll be on a piece of paper in your cabin. They'll be sure you know!!! :)

I don't even understand the comment/question about percents. Percent of WHAT? You mean you're asking what percent of RCCL's recommended $9.75 per person, per day? That's crackin' me up! Just do like someone above said, which is also posted on RCCL's website. $3.50 a day for the steward, $3.50 for the waiter, etc...

It really isn't that big of a deal, basically I didn't know how the system worked. My mind was thinking there was a suggestion such as this.... You should give __% of whatever you are tipping to so and so... So now I will just give the recommended amounts.

It really isn't that big of a deal, basically I didn't know how the system worked. My mind was thinking there was a suggestion such as this.... You should give __% of whatever you are tipping to so and so... So now I will just give the recommended amounts.

Very kind of the cruise line to not bother our little heads with any math. ;)

I think you were wonding if it was a percentage of the cruise price. Interestingly, unlike land restaurants - it is not based on cost, so on my upcoming 3 nighter where you can get an inside cabin for about $169 per person you pay the same per day as someone cruising on Freedom of the Seas in a balcony cabin or jr suite.

Okie. And BTW, it probably doesn't matter to you, but I didn't mean for my response to sound snotty. It would've sounded nicer had I SAID it to you vs. TYPING it to you... :)

Okie. And BTW, it probably doesn't matter to you, but I didn't mean for my response to sound snotty. It would've sounded nicer had I SAID it to you vs. TYPING it to you... :)

Thanks, it does matter to me :) I hate how typing verses verbal response can make things we say sound different than we mean. No biggie though :)

Archived