Snakes during cave tubing?

capsfan0709

We're going on a cruise in March and are thinking about cave tubing. The problem is we have a couple in our party that are reluctant because they are deathly afraid that we might run in to snakes on our excursion. Anyone here that has any input on this. Are snakes common or are they not a concern?

No. I guess not. lol. They're really afraid of snakes....I told them that we're in the rainforest in the deep south and wild animals and snakes DO exist. I've done a lot of research and have read a lot of reviews.....no one ever mentions that there is anything overly frightening as far as wildlife so I'm not overly concerned. Thanks for mentioning the boa.....lol.....they'll probably want to cancel now. :)

Tell them that they are total idiots and that their odds of being bitten by a big snake are considerably less than being hit by a hit-and-run driver as they cross the street.

I assume that they do cross a street on occasion.

DON

Nice.....hardly necessary.

To the Op: we have gone cave tubing in Belize twice in the past few years and have not seen any snakes. If we had, believe me I would remember. Can't stand 'em!!

We just got back from Belize and went cave tuving. Our guide specifically told us there are no water snakes in Belize. There are however all kinds of wildlife, snakes included, in the rainforest. So, the guides said to stay on the trail and you will be fine. We saw nothing on our hike to the river. Have fun!

We saw a weird white albino snake, but he was not in the water.. just slithering along the banks, but that was toward the end of the trip. The water was extremely low when we went and several areas where it was so shallow that everyone had to stand up and walk over the rocks.. I thought the fear of slipping on the rocks or wacking my rear end on a rock was far more worrisome than snakes! (and I hate snakes!) I wouldn't have missed the experience for the world.. got some of the greatest photos from this trip blown up on family room wall:D

We enjoyed cave tubing in Belize very much! We didn't see any snakes but I can tell you from experience that if you see a snake, it will be still or moving away from you. Snakes do not seek out confrontations. The paths in the jungle are wide and you will be able to see where you are stepping. There is nothing creepy in the water. It is an AMAZING experience that no one should miss!

We asked our guide (Evan from cave-tubing.com) about that and he said that there are tons of varieties of snakes in Belize and 9 of them are venomous. However, he said that in all of his years of guiding, he had only ever seen 2 snakes in the wild (not in the zoo) and both were just glimpses as the tail disappeared into the jungle. Snakes sense vibration and movement so all those feet moving on the jungle path is like a trumpet to a snake and it will stay far away from that. As for in the water, that is awfully cold water (I will refrain from the shrinkage jokes). A snake may wish to sun itself on a branch but since the path goes along the river, it would be far too "loud" for a snake. He said he had never seen one in or around the water.

Oddly enough, the river is on the edge of a jaguar preserve though but he said he has never seen a jaguar. He did add that if he saw one, we would know because we would see him start running and we should try to keep up!:) Remember, you don't have to outrun the jaguar, just outrun your fellow cruisers.

We went about a week ago and saw some termites (son ate one at guide's urging) and some parrots (or parrot like birds). Guide Evan said he often sees spider monkeys and howler monkeys but that is about it. Biggest problem is that spider monkeys like to throw fruit.

monkeys like to throw more than fruit :eek::eek:

Add me to the 'saw a boa hanging from a tree limb over a river' crowd, and it was far away and no one else saw it. We weren't in the river at the time, and we were in the Cayo district, closer to Xunantunich.

I guarantee you will not see a panther- not only are they shy, they are nocturnal and there aren't that many of them to begin with.

You may also see lots of bats. Bats are good. They eat the skeeters.

Archived