Cove balcony vs regular balcony ?

kdinkus1

Just wondering why so many people want the 'cove balconies' instead of the regular balconies? It seems to me that being able to lay on my bed and look at the ocean would be much more of a draw than to actually have to get up and walk outside.... Maybe I'm missing something here about the 'coves'? Also, are they more expensive? Thank you!

Cove balconies are cheaper, which is a draw, and they are close to the water, so they are new. On Cunard, they sell much much cheaper than a regular balcony, but they are so new to Carnival, anything new everyone wants to try out a new hull balcony.

There also seems to be a issue, some claim regular balconys look over some part of the ship that juts out on the deck plans people are concerned about.

I just disembarked Carnival Dream this morning and sailed in one of the new "Cove Balconies". The cabin itself is identical to a "regular" balcony cabin but the coves are much closer to the waterline, which is really the main difference. They are located on deck 2. The balcony itself is built into the hull of the ship but the view was wonderful even from inside the cabin. We could sit on the sofa and see straight out to the ocean or lay in bed and see right out to the ocean. You did not have to stand on the balcony to see the ocean. The balcony was about the same size as a standard balcony, perhaps even a little larger. It did not have a cave-like feeling at all, which was my orginal fear. It was very private and gave us nice protection from the elements as it was very stormy on our cruise. The balcony AND cabin were nice and bright even in bad weather. When I booked, the price for the cove Balcony was about the same as the price for the standard balcony. Maybe $20 less. I think the novelty of being so close to the water is what will make these balconies desirable.

I wonder what the cove balconies would be like in rough seas. Leaving Panama on the Freedom, we had a ocean view on deck 2 and we saw water splashing against the glass, I'd think that if there were a balcony there, we would be washed overboard. It is possible that in times of rough seas, they might have room stewards lock the balcony door for safety reasons.

I wonder what the cove balconies would be like in rough seas. Leaving Panama on the Freedom, we had a ocean view on deck 2 and we saw water splashing against the glass, I'd think that if there were a balcony there, we would be washed overboard. It is possible that in times of rough seas, they might have room stewards lock the balcony door for safety reasons.

From what I understand, yes they do lock them down in bad weather. The reviews have mostly said when they open them up again they are very dry. We are looking forward to trying one very soon.

Well, as I just mentioned, we just sailed in a cove balcony in "stormy" weather! That stormy weather was the big "nor-easter" caused by the remnants of Hurricane Ida. We sailed right through it and had horrendous wind and huge waves. Some swells were estimated to be about 30 feet (and it looked it from the perspective of our cove balcony), but the balcony itself never had any problem with water splashing against it. There are "weather-doors" on the cove balconies that they will close and lock in the event of truly dangerous seas, but they were not needed on our cruise and it was pretty darned rough out in that ocean. Even if the "storm-door" is closed, you still have your huge window. But, you WOULD lose the ability to go out on your balcony during really dangerous seas. I am thinking if the seas were that rough that they had to barracade the cove balconies, then not too many people would be sitting outside on their regular balconies either! ;)

I just disembarked Carnival Dream this morning and sailed in one of the new "Cove Balconies". The cabin itself is identical to a "regular" balcony cabin but the coves are much closer to the waterline, which is really the main difference. They are located on deck 2. The balcony itself is built into the hull of the ship but the view was wonderful even from inside the cabin. We could sit on the sofa and see straight out to the ocean or lay in bed and see right out to the ocean. You did not have to stand on the balcony to see the ocean. The balcony was about the same size as a standard balcony, perhaps even a little larger. It did not have a cave-like feeling at all, which was my orginal fear. It was very private and gave us nice protection from the elements as it was very stormy on our cruise. The balcony AND cabin were nice and bright even in bad weather. When I booked, the price for the cove Balcony was about the same as the price for the standard balcony. Maybe $20 less. I think the novelty of being so close to the water is what will make these balconies desirable.

Thanks for the info. We'll be in a cove balcony on 12/3 out of Port Canaveral! We're just trying it out as something new.

Bonnie, would you book a cove again over a "regular" balcony?

If I were going to book a "regular" balcony then I would not hesitate to book a cove balcony...but, my favorite balconies are the larger aft/corner balconies and that is what I usually book. I enjoy watching the wake from my own balcony on the back of the ship! ;) I only booked the cove balcony this time because it was a short 2-night cruise and I was curious about the cove balcony. If you normally book a side balcony though, I would see no reason at all to avoid a cove-balcony if you enjoy being nearer to the water. Keep in mind that some people do NOT want to be that close to the water. :eek: I thought it was really nice though. :D

I just got off the ctn today and if I were to book again, I would get the cove balcony over the regular one that I had. This is the first time I wasnt directly overlooking the water on my balcony due to the fact there was a deck under my room. It did not feel the same as overlooking the water which I have always done in the past.

Ihave 2 adjoining cove booked for the 12/12 sailing, just upgraded on Thursday from OV. The difference in price was about $300 (total) less then a regular balcony. I am looking forward to being so close to the water and for something different. Whe DH and I sail alone I book aft wraps which is our preference.

Thanks for responding everyone! I just wasn't sure if I would like the feel of being 'closed off' ... sounds like that wouldn't be the case. I also like the idea that I could step outside during bad weather, still enjoying the balcony, without getting wet! Thanks Bonnie!

Thanks for responding everyone! I just wasn't sure if I would like the feel of being 'closed off' ... sounds like that wouldn't be the case. I also like the idea that I could step outside during bad weather, still enjoying the balcony, without getting wet! Thanks Bonnie!

Here are a few photos from my cove balcony cabin.

988817952_BonnieandAnnCarnivalDream023.jpg.f08a80baa53d7e8faa9aabad504c98a4.jpg

1782474180_BonnieandAnnCarnivalDream026.jpg.6f10fee4c7ecd871dbd4fe6077dcb0e2.jpg

1580110943_BonnieandAnnCarnivalDream025.jpg.4a2da1e3d6e1d382822a4adf6639fc3a.jpg

2080489575_BonnieandAnnCarnivalDream029.jpg.a1c84c76650779c3516bae960d6b3360.jpg

Archived