Explorer: Arctic cruisetour

soccergang

You really need to study up on this tour. In the past MANY of the women were extremely unhappy with the Princess tour accommodations at Prudhoe Bay as it is not a hotel but the ARCO units similar to what the workers live in (although with private bathrooms). An expensive tour with NO luxury component.

Check, verify and study.

The Arctic cruisetour is the same one that Princess has offered for many years. Some people love it because it's unique, some hate it because it's not a "comfort" trip (gravel road, very basic accommodation). As has been said, be very sure that you know what it entails.

My daughter, son-in-law and I did the Prudhoe Bay tour in 2005 and LOVED it. It is an adventure, not a luxury tour, and we had NO complaints about the accommodations. Going to the top of North America was a once-in-a-lifetime trip for us. We like that sort of trip, we are not into shopping and spas, so for us it was the obvious choice. The ATCO trailers are a hoot - they were used when the pipeline was built. The bus ride up the Dalton Highway was comfortable and very interesting - the driver/tour guide was great and had loads of information and anecdotes. We all wish we could do it again.

The ATCO trailers are still in use for workers. I have stayed in them but the ones we use do not have private bathrooms. The bathrooms are sometimes a long, long walk.

I have heard some women on the tours who complain to high heaven about everything. It is really hard on those of us who have to be there and while we are there the place is our home.

As with all tours, the person making the decision needs to do a lot of studying before putting their money down. It is not for everyone especially as Prudhoe and Deadhorse are DRY!

No booze allowed!

You really need to study up on this tour. In the past MANY of the women were extremely unhappy with the Princess tour accommodations at Prudhoe Bay as it is not a hotel but the ARCO units similar to what the workers live in (although with private bathrooms). An expensive tour with NO luxury component.

Check, verify and study.

thanks for the advice. I don't think my wife will like it since she gave up camping years ago.

• 4 weeks later...

We loved this cruisetour- yes it was not 5 star in Coldfoot or Deadhorse, but we felt that it was fine and added a lot to the experience. It's only 2 nights and seeing the Brooks Range and the Arctic Ocean were worth it. The herds of muskox were great - they were so close to us- got wonderful pictures.

Archived