Anyone been on the new Arcadia?

Painter

Thinking of booking a cruise on Arcadia from Brisbane to Hong Kong.

I see some bad reviews on this ship.

Can anyone please tell me how Arcadia compares to the Sapphire Princess?

Thanks.

I've never been on Sapphire, but I was extremely disappointed in the food quality in the Meridian Dining Room on my last cruise on Arcadia. If you sail on Arcadia, you should be prepared for sub-standard fare or to eat at Rhodes or the Orchid.

Friends who were with us had a future Arcadia cruise booked from Dubai to Southampton and, on the strength of our and their concerns,they ate at Rhodes and Orchid at P&O's expense for that cruise.

Just my opinion.

:(

I've never been on Sapphire, but I was extremely disappointed in the food quality in the Meridian Dining Room on my last cruise on Arcadia. If you sail on Arcadia, you should be prepared for sub-standard fare or to eat at Rhodes or the Orchid.

Friends who were with us had a future Arcadia cruise booked from Dubai to Southampton and, on the strength of our and their concerns,they ate at Rhodes and Orchid at P&O's expense for that cruise.

Just my opinion.

Not just your opinion, Thranite - it's mine as well. I would not sail on Arcadia again without guaranteed bookings in the superb Arcadian Rhodes every evening. In fact, in the interests of balance, it's consideraby better than Cunard's speciality restaurant,Todd English.

Mary

Just my opinion.

Some people love Arcadia, some don't - its the same with many ships.

'Thranite' - It might help the OP weigh your opinion against other views when they are posted if you said when your trip on her was.

'Thranite' - It might help the OP weigh your opinion against other views when they are posted if you said when your trip on her was.

Fair comment. My last cruise on Arcadia was Oct/Nov 08 and the standard had deteriorated significantly since the previous one in Nov 06. Oriana, in between times displayed the standard expected. My friends, who subsequently sailed Arcadia, Dubai/Soton, (Mar 09, IIRC) dined in the Meridian twice for lunch and were not impressed.

:)

Karen I have been on Arcadia 3 times and never had a problem with the food in the main restaurants, maybe i am easily pleased:) I haven't sailed on any Princess ships but did go on the Independence Royal Carribean in May, I think you will find Arcadia a little plain and bland compared to the Princess it has no real focal point although the crows nest is very pleasant, i suppose it depends what you are looking for. If your after glitz and glammer then in my opinion Arcadia is not the ship for you:mad: If you fancy a more quiet relaxing type of cruise then she's the one.:p

Happy sailing.

BS

Karen I have been on Arcadia 3 times and never had a problem with the food in the main restaurants, maybe i am easily pleased:) I haven't sailed on any Princess ships but did go on the Independence Royal Carribean in May, I think you will find Arcadia a little plain and bland compared to the Princess it has no real focal point although the crows nest is very pleasant, i suppose it depends what you are looking for. If your after glitz and glammer then in my opinion Arcadia is not the ship for you:mad: If you fancy a more quiet relaxing type of cruise then she's the one.:p

Happy sailing.

BS

Karen??? Sorry i meant Marleneann:confused:

Don't like those two words believed and generally, it sounds too unconvincing.

I trust this meets with your approval, then. I've dropped the words on your banned list:

Well, considering that standards are to have dropped since then, it could mean a great deal:eek:.

It doesn't make much sense, but the evidence seems to point towards that not mattering.

Mary

Then what is your view of the food on Arcadia? How about something positive rather than your usual sniping?

I've put my feet up, opened the wine, ordered the staff to deliver dinner, and cleared my engagement diary, but still we have no news of Stroppers' culinary adventures.

Perhaps she has gone on a cruise.

Sir Martin

I've been on Arcadia 3 times (including a Maiden). Since she was a new ship I didnt have anyone to ask and in any case I wouldn't ask anyone what a ship was like before I sailed on it because I believe you have to try for yourself and not rely on other people's experiences since, as demonstrated by replies, there are differing views on the same ship. In any case it is the itinerary which decides which ship I sail on.

We have been on Arcadia twice and found the food to be excellent both times.

BTW the ship itself does not cook the food. I think the have men and women to do that.

The men and women , called chiefs, do swap between ships. so saying you did not like it in one year will not help for the next as the chiefs may be different.

So saying that the food on a ship, in this case Arcadia, is not good is just plain daft. It makes no sence at all

Of course the reverse is also true so me saying that th food on Arcadia is great is also daft.

However in all our cruises I cannot remember many poor meals.

:):)Happy Cruising:):)

:cool:

Dai

We have been on Arcadia twice and found the food to be excellent both times.

BTW the ship itself does not cook the food. I think the have men and women to do that.

The men and women , called chiefs, do swap between ships. so saying you did not like it in one year will not help for the next as the chiefs may be different.

So saying that the food on a ship, in this case Arcadia, is not good is just plain daft. It makes no sence at all

Of course the reverse is also true so me saying that th food on Arcadia is great is also daft.

However in all our cruises I cannot remember many poor meals.

:):)Happy Cruising:):)

Dai

In fact, chefs and cooks do the cooking - chiefs wear feather head-dresses and make whooping noises.

Please remove the rose-tinted glasses and try some well cooked food. I only have my experience to judge the product. The P&O standard used to be much higher. Now it stands well in the shadow of Princess and Cunard. That is reflected in my future cruising habits. Where before, P&O content would have been significant, I currently have 1 P&O and 2 Cunard booked. In addition, I have 1 Cunard and 1 Princess FCC. Whether I book again with P&O is dependent upon the standard of the product on Aurora.

You, of course, cannot comment since you have no basis on which to judge other cruise lines and must accept that as my opinion.

Dai

You can swap the staff around until you're blue in the face, but the problem lies in cost-cutting: the ingredients are poorly sourced. Thereafter, the unfortunate chefs are doomed.

In my humble opinion.

Mary

I like Arcadia, I like the Crows Nest, the retractable pool roof, the Hydro pool, the aft facing cabins & the modern design. I would like a Café Jardin type place, but apart from that she is a fine ship that copes with rough seas well. The food in the main restaurant was just fine but once you have cruised with P&O a few times you find that the menu stays the same, as do the shows, even from ship to ship. I doubt if anyone could cope with Rhodes or even Orchid too many times on a cruise, not enough variation & too rich.

I like Arcadia, I like the Crows Nest, the retractable pool roof, the Hydro pool, the aft facing cabins & the modern design. I would like a Café Jardin type place, but apart from that she is a fine ship that copes with rough seas well. The food in the main restaurant was just fine but once you have cruised with P&O a few times you find that the menu stays the same, as do the shows, even from ship to ship. I doubt if anyone could cope with Rhodes or even Orchid too many times on a cruise, not enough variation & too rich.

Why not try another Vista then? If it is the ship you like and the general layout.

In fact, chefs and cooks do the cooking - chiefs wear feather head-dresses and make whooping noises.

Please remove the rose-tinted glasses and try some well cooked food. I only have my experience to judge the product. The P&O standard used to be much higher. Now it stands well in the shadow of Princess and Cunard. That is reflected in my future cruising habits. Where before, P&O content would have been significant, I currently have 1 P&O and 2 Cunard booked. In addition, I have 1 Cunard and 1 Princess FCC. Whether I book again with P&O is dependent upon the standard of the product on Aurora.

You, of course, cannot comment since you have no basis on which to judge other cruise lines and must accept that as my opinion.

If you had followed my postings you would see I never comment on things I have not experienced, unlike many others.

Whatever tint of glasses I wear has got little to do with you. And I will call things as I see them.

It is interesting that you fall back on insults instead of addressing the point ie. you cannot forcast what the meals will be like on a ship by what they have been like before. Particularly when comparing ships of the same line as we are in this thread.

You seem to be off thread when talking about Cunard.

:):)appy Cruising:):)

Dai

Archived