Am I crazy?

bickee

We did a similar cruise a few years ago and it takes a couple of days before you get any heat and then the last couple of days on the return trip was the same. It was the lure of NYC that interested us in the cruise as we tacked on a few days pre-cruise and enjoyed what New York has to offer. One of the highlights was sailing by the Statue of Liberty...quite the sight from the ship. Would we do it again? Possibly, but not in the winter months.

I have done this trip in Jan. 2 of the last 3 years. I think part of it is where you live. We are from NY and by the first full sea day enjoying the warmer weather. By the second full day we were swimming. If not for the fact our son is too young we would be going again this year, as it is my inlaws are going in Jan.

We cruised on the Gem from New York on January 4th of this year. The first morning we were off of Cape Hatteras where it was 68 degrees at 8:00 AM. People were outside walking or out by the pool on the first morning. It was sunny and beautiful. I was surprised,since I also was thinking that it would be the second day before we could enjoy going outside.

Go for it and enjoy your cruise!

Rick

Thanks all. I have sailed from NYC before in October and enjoyed it (I live here in the city). Just adding it as one of my options because it seems a suite is available! That might make up for the chilly weather...who knows!

We have sailed fron NYC a couple of times in mid January and on both occasions, the 2nd day was no more than light jacket required.

What we did find was that the eastern seaboard can be mighty rough.

Also, we got snowed in in NYC when returning on second cruise. Not fun!! We stood out in a blizzard for 2+ hours catching a cab and we were only cab ticket number 41. There were hundreds of people behind us.

Loved Manhatten but a little too risky for me. We now sail out of Florida.

We are booked on the December 26th cruise out of NYC and we are looking forward to it. We usually leave from NYC in the summer. It should be interesting at a sailaway party with a winter coat on and lighter clothes the next day. Wondering what to pack. I was figuring on 2 days worth of winter type clothes and the rest spring/summer clothes.

Last February I sailed from Bayonne, N.J.(on another line). It took about two days for the weather to warm up. Seas were a little rough but we enjoyed leaving the ice cold weather behind us.

We left from NJ in November and it was chilly, but someone on CC suggested that for sailaway, hop in the hot tub and stay warm. It was lovely to sit there and see parts of the NYC skyline and the bridge.

Viv

No, not crazy at all! I did it last New Year's on the Gem. The one thing I found different than usual was packing. I figured 3 days for cooler weather walking around outside (1.5 days going down and 1.5 returning).

coka

No, not crazy at all! I did it last New Year's on the Gem. The one thing I found different than usual was packing. I figured 3 days for cooler weather walking around outside (1.5 days going down and 1.5 returning).

coka

Thanks for answering the packing question. What did they do on New Years Eve? One party? Multiple parties? Looking forward to a new New Year's Eve celebration!!

Archived