Anyone back from Atlantica??

Gaynors

I read a previous post that stated late seating was at 8:45 - does anyone know what time early seating begins?

Also, what was the daily service charge? Is it the same amount for adults and kids?

Thanks!

I thought in the Caribbean the late time was 8:15. Recent cruisers, is the late time 8:45? I want the second seating, but my goodness, nearly 9 is getting too late for me and kids.

I thought in the Caribbean the late time was 8:15. Recent cruisers, is the late time 8:45? I want the second seating, but my goodness, nearly 9 is getting too late for me and kids.

Second seating is 8:45 p.m. For me, that is a bit late, especially when you don't finish dinner until after 10 p.m., and even one night at 11 p.m.

Rothjer- thanks for your reply. Lots of good info. We are also on the second seating for dinner so it is at 8:45? I thought I had read that it was at 8:15 in the Caribbean. Also, you said men wore shorts for dinner? My husband wors horts most nights on our last Carnival cruise with a nice shirt and it was fine. I didn't realize Costa was relaxed like carnival. For formal nights he skipped the jacket and tie and just wore nice pants and a long sleeve shirt. Will this be acceptable? Sure would help with the packing.

I would say that people dressed nicer on Carnival Liberty last year than they did this time on Atlantica!! The assistant maitre d' spoke to us one evening and we asked about the relaxed dress code. He said that it was a big challenge; catering to many different cultures, and that they needed to be accepting of this. I didn't buy the excuse, when sailing on Celebrity- more-so in the past- everyone was aware of dress code and if was not adhered to by guests you would be kindly asked to leave. Every cruise line sets it standards, does not surprise me that Costa potentially- at least from what I have seen and heard- be a cruise line with some serious communication issues. It was really funny, barely any of the staff spoke any of the 5 languages recognized on board (only the simplest conversational words). On many cruise lines it would be considered rude and against policy for staff to speak to one another in their native language right in front of your face. On Costa this was common place. I really hated when I was at the front desk and this lady belts out in Italian and starts pointing at me whilst speaking to two colleagues and then came back with an answers in broken english.

Anyhow, these are just small issues. Makes the different between say 4* v 5* experience. In terms of what we paid however,we were just very happy to get away and relax. Costa was able to exceed our expectations in many ways , and detracted from that in others,but heck ! A cruise is a cruise!

• 2 weeks later...
Was on-board the Atlantica for the 11/14 - 21 sailing. A bit of backround on myself...I've been on five previous cruises (one Carnival; three HAL; and one Princess) prior to the sailing on the Atlantica. Costa didn't live up to all of my expectations, but considering the cost, in some ways I can't complain too much.

It's amazing how people can have such varied opinions on the food. I was reading through your list and noticed that on many of the items that you rated poorly, I actually enjoyed. On the otherhand, there wasn't a single thing on the buffet that I think was worth mentioning.

The "finger sandwiches" for the tea were large portions of "subs" imho, and didn't resemble anything that I consider the norm for teas. No cucumber sandwiches, no scones. After having enjoyed the afternoon teas on Princess, anything less is a miss to me. I did enjoy the apricot tarts though.

Always good to read various viewpoints.

We are sailing on the Atlantica on 12/12 and I have a couple of questions... Is it true that the lifeboat drill is held on the second day? Also, do they still offer the "happy hour" and what are the times? Is happy hour available on the first day (in Ft. Lauderdale)? Thanks!

For our 11/14/09 sailing, the life boat drill was held at 9:30am on the second day. Happy Hours were held each day from 11-12 and 5-6, two for one cocktails and premium drinks...maybe wine and beer too? We weren't on board until 1:30 so don't know if the 11am HH was available but the 5 pm certainly was! For more info, check out my review....the HH was the best part of the cruise.

Thank you for all the feedback, both good and bad. A few questions:

- what is the price of drinks vs the drink package

- what time is the early seating

- any feedback on excursions- do on your own or through the ship

- we were thinking of san juan - our own

walking tour of old san juan and shopping

- St Thomas - finding a beach and

snorkeling and hanging out

- Nassau - either going to a hotel to use

their beach or going to Atlantis

- is it easy to get around on your own at

the ports