How long does it take for Carnival to issue a refund?

traveler525

We cancelled a cruise on Carnival 3 weeks ago, before the penalty stage and are supposed to receive full refund. But it still has not been credited to our credit card account and now our statement will be sent to us with that charge on it. I know I can protest the charge to my credit card company, but really, how long does it take for Carnival to issue a credit?

Thanks!

Only takes Carnival a few minutes to credit your account.

However, if you read the fine print provided to you by the financial institution that issued you your credit card, it could take up to 3 billing cycles before the credit is applied to your credit card.

Each financial institution handles these things differently.

Only takes Carnival a few minutes to credit your account.

However, if you read the fine print provided to you by the financial institution that issued you your credit card, it could take up to 3 billing cycles before the credit is applied to your credit card.

Each financial institution handles these things differently.

Hmmm. Nice! It only takes a minute to put a charge on it, but up to 30 days to remove it. Do ypu get credited back for the interest charged. I bet not. Another way to make money without providing the service.

Edited by egh170

That's what I am worried about. Why so long? The charge on my cc is actually from Carnival, not our travel agency, so the credit should come thru ok from Carnival? I do have cancellation confirmations from the agency but feel this has been too long. Anything to do about it?

Carnival is usually very quick to "Authorize" the refund to your c.card (banking institution)... the delay is when does the bank provide the credit back to you ! Your TA should get a confirmation from CCL stating they authorized the refund on such and such date..... after that it's up to your bank to give the credit refund to your account. Your beef for any delays of processing the refund will be with the bank... not Carnival. ;)

That's what I am worried about. Why so long? The charge on my cc is actually from Carnival, not our travel agency, so the credit should come thru ok from Carnival? I do have cancellation confirmations from the agency but feel this has been too long. Anything to do about it?

Cancellation confirmations from the "agency" vs. cancellation confirmations from the "cruiseline" are two different things......If the agency cannot provide you a cancellation confirmation from the "cruiseline"....there may be where the problem is.

My TA says that Carnival has not issued the refund yet. They had told her it would be "within the week" and that was last week. Today she was told within the next two weeks. This sounds strange to me. It is not my credit card company.

If the TA is telling you first "within the week" and then within the "next two weeks", I would demand a 3 way conference call, or on speaker phone w/ you, your TA and CCL (if you are working with a B & M Agency nearby) with a CCL supervisor stating the refund has not yet been processed, for your verification of your TA being straight with you.

It's your $$$ and I would be fighting for it too, but you may have to get a bit more agressive to verify your TA is being straight with you. To process a refund request SHOULD NOT be taking that long at all, in normal situations as many above have verified based on their experiences. Good Luck.

My TA says that Carnival has not issued the refund yet. They had told her it would be "within the week" and that was last week. Today she was told within the next two weeks. This sounds strange to me. It is not my credit card company.

Once again,,,,99.9% of the time, the company that issues the credit does so immediatly. In this case Carnival. The hold up is almost ALWAYS the financial institution that issued your credit card. As stated earlier they may have as much as 3 billing cycles for your credit to appear on your account

My TA just emailed me that because I had paid in full, their commission had been paid and it takes Carnival about two weeks for the refund of the commission to clear. Then they issue a full refund. That actually makes sense to me.

Thank you all for your input.

My TA just emailed me that because I had paid in full, their commission had been paid and it takes Carnival about two weeks for the refund of the commission to clear. Then they issue a full refund. That actually makes sense to me.

Another good reason not to pay in full any earlier than necessary.

Edited by gtalum

Well, I only paid in full a week early. Did not make sense to me at the time to make two payments just a week apart.

Don't take my post wrong, I wasn't criticizing you. That was meant more for folks who pay in full months ahead of time. This is another good reason not to do that.

Thank you all for your input.

thanks for sharing. I think this is exactly why I am still waiting for the two weeks to pass to see a refund.

Chances are that your travel agent had already received commission from Carnival for your booking. If she has, that must be returned before Carnival will process your refund... and by the way, if they return it by check, it's two weeks for the check to clear, then your refund is processed!

• 2 months later...

That is what happend. The agency had already received their commission and Carnival was waiting on them to return it. Took them almost 3 weeks. Then it took Carnival 2 weeks to issue the refund.

Everything worked out but if I use a travel agency again, I will do as advised and pay on the last day :)

• 7 years later...

I'm trying to get carnival to issue 2 refunds. One from back in Feb 2016 for shipping charges of $119.00 from Art Gallery. Then the other for $1346.00 from the Effy jewelry store. That's been since end of February 20I7. I had already turned the earrings to Effy in New York per their instructions and they keep telling me it's Carnival that will be refunding the money. I have been past around from department to department and not really ever been given an answer as to when these refunds are going to be made. I have given them until the end of this month then will hand this over to my American Express card to deal with. This was also our last ever cruise we will ever take on Carnival. Awful post cruise customer service.