First time cruiser Dining question

tlwhite

I've been reading the boards for a few weeks and decided to finally ask my first question. I know it's been asked before but I can't seem to pin a definite answer. Question: My husband does not want to wear a suit at all for our spring break vacation (he wears them for work everyday). We have booked on Mariner of the Seas for Mar 14th 7 day cruise. initially i booked NCL but decided on RC because of kid's program reviews. What I have gathered is that we never have to "dress up" (tux, suit with tie)if we just avoid the Main Dining Room on formal nights. Am I correct?

That is correct.

You'll still want to wear something more than shorts and a t-shirt to the Windjammer for Dinner, but you certainly won't need suits or jackets.

Also, you'll find it's a bit debate on the board but even 'Formal' Night is getting quite casual lately.

To clarify - your dh may be turned away from the MDR at dinner if he has shorts on.

A polo shirt and khakis will be fine on any night. If he wants to dress a little more on formal nights, that's fine. Formal wear is not required, just suggested.

I think a lot depends on what "shorts" means. My 12 year old son wore a navy blazer, tie, shirt and white perma press dress shorts with kneesox that matched the blazer for the formal night. To me the formal night was a throwback to the "old days" and suits with shorts were quite apporpriate for boys. We had a fantastic time too!

I will probably get flamed for this but except for formal nights I tend to wear jeans and a button down "hawaiian shirt" to dinners. I am on vacation and don't like to dress up other than the formal night. During the formal night I will put on the suit.

That is correct.

You'll still want to wear something more than shorts and a t-shirt to the Windjammer for Dinner, but you certainly won't need suits or jackets.

Also, you'll find it's a bit debate on the board but even 'Formal' Night is getting quite casual lately.

Well, we wear slacks and polo and slacks/skirt and top or dress (that would be me in the skirt or dress, not my DH);), but shorts and a t-shirt are acceptable for the Windjammer at dinner. In fact, it's one of the stated casual dining options for RCI, which says: "It's always casual in the Windjammer Cafe. However, bare feet and tank tops are not permitted at dinner." Personally, I think that bare feet are not appropriate at an indoor dining venue of any kind--not ever. I also think they should have rules that include: coverups must to be worn over swimsuits, wet swimsuits are not allowed at any indoor venue, and baseball caps should be removed when dining because some people just don't seem to understand these basic civilities. But that's just me...

beachchick

Archived